CP5A & CP42 Farm

I just had a 60 acre tree planting in MO, about 35 miles S. of Iowa expire, nobody is getting anything in, around me.

Was that 10 or 15 years for your trees? They won't renew? What program was it?

15yr. It doesn't matter what program. There were no renewals, and no new acres taken in neither of the Counties where I own in MO.

15yr. It doesn't matter what program. There were no renewals, and no new acres taken in neither of the Counties where I own in MO.

That's awful. What are you going to do? Can you wait a year or will they make you farm it for a year?

make sure you just don't have some lazy employees in that department,I have seen it where you had to beg and threaten them or the next county over they are begging you to sign up

They are against the acreage cap. I'm not the only one, and it isn't the first year either. They can't make me farm it. It's a tree planting, I'm not tearing it out. Maybe the new 2018 Farm Bill will bring a higher cap. CRP counts as cropping history, so if I'm only out for a year or two, I should still have enough cropping history to get back in, unless the requirements change drastically in the new Farm Bill.

If I get in, great, if not, so be it. I was told my rent would be about double when I re enlisted it, wish that would have happened. Government welfare programs aren't a guarantee.....

That is too bad usually they beg you to sign back up as they have lost so many acres.Did you check under the continuous acres?

That is too bad usually they beg you to sign back up as they have lost so many acres.Did you check under the continuous acres?

Yep. At the cap.

Interesting layout. Here in my county, the worksheet for CP5A limits the windbreak to 48' max. That's for a 3 row planting of conifer, hardwood, and shrubs. I'm hoping to get this done on my acreage in '18, as well as doing CP21 along my ditch banks. Are you going to have to pay the 30k upfront? My understanding is that the landowner has to write the check, and then wait for reimbursement. I'm budgeting about 5k for the limited acreage that I'll be able to plant.

Interesting layout. Here in my county, the worksheet for CP5A limits the windbreak to 48' max. That's for a 3 row planting of conifer, hardwood, and shrubs. I'm hoping to get this done on my acreage in '18, as well as doing CP21 along my ditch banks. Are you going to have to pay the 30k upfront? My understanding is that the landowner has to write the check, and then wait for reimbursement. I'm budgeting about 5k for the limited acreage that I'll be able to plant.

The guy I have hired to plant the ground does not require any money from me. He took a copy of my plan to the FSA office and is working with them directly. He told me that I will likely not have to do anything. Normally they just right the check to him.
If this ends up working out differently I will post it here.

The food plot is all on my dime.

Yep. At the cap.

What is the cap in your county? I have never heard of that happening in any county for many years.... It is usually 25% of the total tillable acreage in the county. Is there really CRP on 1/4 of the acres? The reason I ask, is sometimes they do not tell you the right information.

Warmed up enough for the BIL to fly the drone. Had to go pretty high. Didn't quite get the entire 80.

The guys started flagging my property to mark the trees/pollinator. They also started pulling all the willow brush to make room for a much larger food plot.

Most of the willows pulled easily. This beast takes care of the rest.

spent most of yesterday at the farm mowing and cleaning up. Tearing out old fences.

Lucky me found hundreds of rocks piled in one old fence row. When I was a kid "Rock Picking" sucked. Now that I'm 44 I have confirmed that "Rock Picking" sucks.

However trying to explain to my girls why it was that was entertaining.

CP42 is all planted. Caught the perps on camera.

Looks like velvet...

Good pics, interesting project!

Started planting trees today.

20170502_172043-01_zpsglvycvjy.jpeg

20170502_171936-01_zpsomp1zmjy.jpeg

20170502_171915-01_zpsrzghqxtx.jpeg

20170502_170443_zpsznudslgt.jpg

20170502_162653-01_zpslqtew80d.jpeg

1100 shrubs tonight. Hardwoods tomorrow.

Still waiting on the hardwoods. Most of the shrubs and conifers have been planted.
We mowed and cut more deadfall today. Lots of deadfall cleanup. I'll get more pics tomorrow.