Cost of owning land...

BOC

5 year old buck +
Just curious what you habitat enthusiasts/hunter/outdoorsman think you average spending on your properties a year? From improvements, maintenance, equipment, etc. After the initial land investment , I'm trying to make myself feel better about it all. You know the saying....misery loves company. Except I'm not miserable! But you get the point.

Probably around 15 k a year the past few years. Maintenance is probably around 2k - 3k. Hopefully once I get everything dial in it will run about 3500 a year.

I’m never adding that up or putting that down on paper or anywhere in one place.

But if it makes you feel better I took up offshore sport fishing on my own last year. We used to charter a boat once or twice a year. That is a sport that makes absolutely no financial sense…….none!

At least when you’re done here the farms worth something.

I’m never adding that up or putting that down on paper or anywhere in one place.

But if it makes you feel better I took up offshore sport fishing on my own last year. We used to charter a boat once or twice a year. That is a sport that makes absolutely no financial sense…….none!

At least when you’re done here the farms worth something.
Very true. I forget to to say I think I average about 10k a year that's counting food plots too. Controlling invasives has been the most expensive expenditure yet. It adds up fast.

I would guess mine is around $1500 if you don't count opportunity cost or traveling there. There always seems to be a few thousand in repairs or improvements I end up doing each year. Last year I replaced my charge controller, that was $450, and bought a $3,500 lawn mower. This year, I've got to paint my foam to protect it from light breakdown and get a new well pump. Also want to spend around $1500 on dirt work to fix a food plot, make a pond bigger, fix some trails, and build some more garden beds.

I figure a 15% opportunity cost in owning it, and that really challenges my will to keep it at times. But then I know I won't get it or something like it back if I get rid of it.

Just curious what you habitat enthusiasts/hunter/outdoorsman think you average spending on your properties a year? From improvements, maintenance, equipment, etc. After the initial land investment , I'm trying to make myself feel better about it all. You know the saying....misery loves company. Except I'm not miserable! But you get the point.
My main hunting property is home and I have ag rental acres. It is hard to figure out when you include taxes, insurance, and general maintenance. I don’t spend near as much on habitat as I used to. We have lived here for 30 years.

I don’t spend gas money driving to the hunting property when I live here!

Money is the easiest part early on-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not sure on the dollar total, but it’s my hobby, and gets me through the work week, thinking and planning things to do.

It’s way to hard to pinpoint exactly, do you add in tractor? Implements? Time and gas spent retrieving the “needed” stuff? Failed experiments? There was lots of them.

I will guess it is about $150-200 per acre, per year with taxes and insurance. The more acres you have, the less per acre this would be.

I will guess it is about $150-200 per acre, per year with taxes and insurance. The more acres you have, the less per acre this would be.
That is a really close estimate. We have a 40 that is minimal ($20/acre, which I recoup and more through a grazing lease) but has yet to be managed for habitats. On the managed properties, $150-200 is very close. I would also say the improvements have increased the value of the property, so there is that offset if you need to convince your wife this is both investment and enjoyment.

It largely depends on the scale of what you have. I probably spend less than $500/year not counting on the actual land expense. But my plots are 1/4 or less and I do it all by hand. Most of my expenses lately is on trees and cages. I'm about out of room for any more of them so that expense will be gone. After that it's seed, lime, and fertilizer.

That is a really close estimate. We have a 40 that is minimal ($20/acre, which I recoup and more through a grazing lease) but has yet to be managed for habitats. On the managed properties, $150-200 is very close. I would also say the improvements have increased the value of the property, so there is that offset if you need to convince your wife this is both investment and enjoyment.
It largely depends on the scale of what you have. I probably spend less than $500/year not counting on the actual land expense. But my plots are 1/4 or less and I do it all by hand. Most of my expenses lately is on trees and cages. I'm about out of room for any more of them so that expense will be gone. After that it's seed, lime, and fertilizer.
I used to have clover plots and tried brassica and different things. I see no need for clover when I have 30 acres of alfalfa on the acres I rent. I do scatter a bit of rye and turnips/ radishes in a corn plot.

$4000-$5000 a year just in property taxes on the farms this doesn’t include our homes.

Not including land payment and taxes, I put in 500-1000 per year in improvements. Just a few food plots and an orchard to maintain at the moment. I don't have a lot of equipment. I get 1750 in rent payment and I try to keep it under that amount. I would love to spend 15K per year someday!! That would probably mean I have a tractor and are doing some larger projects :-)

I refuse to answer on the grounds i may self incriminate myself someday in proceedings ... if you have to ask you probably aren't ready yet 😁

What ever you plan for a budget, multiply by at least 2. 😉

Last edited:
The year I bought the tractor and implements was $90k. Since then I’d say around $2-4k per year. Fertilizer, seed and lime for 6 acres of plots last year was almost $2k!

I'm about 5/6 years in and every year there has been something "needed" that is a bit bigger than just seed/chemicals. Bigger items include: went from ATV to UTV, shipping container to store it, tow behind brush mower, sprayers, culti-packers, upgraded from a old camper to a "tiny home/shack". I'm guessing this all averages out to about 10K+ per year on average. This is in addition to all the smaller items (saws, trimmers, post hole diggers etc) and stuff like additional cameras, cellular plans, trees, seed, chemicals, driving etc prob are about 1K to 2K a year for me? Better not to think about it!

My $15k includes maintenance cost on equipment - two tractors, three bush hogs, two disks, sprayer, five seeders/planters, 10” crisafulli pump, two SxS’s, hydraulic blade, tiller, and more. I plant minimum 27 acres for deer, 8 acres for doves, ten acres for ducks. I have about 15 acres of open ground I maintain and probably 7 or 8 miles of trails. My feed bill is right around $5k. The feed is primarily to keep the deer on me as much as I can and for hog hunting. We typically dont hunt feed locations. Herbicide cost is pretty dang high now, - so is fuel. 250 gal diesel delivered is $1000 - and that doesnt quite get me through a year. Usually some equipment rental or contract work. Plus, incidentals.