Corn plot

Fryguy

Yearling... With promise
Hey guys, to piggyback off the leaving standing corn plot thread, I was toying with the idea of planting some RR corn and obviously leaving it up. Would be mowing some down as season progresses. But I would like to stay away from tillage if possible the following spring. I know there will be alot of covered ground from the stalks/mowing. Would buckwheat spread heavy be a good option to plant into that then, seed into buckwheat and terminate it later on? Just looking for some ideas/thoughts. Thanks.

It's tough with all those stalks not to do some tillage, I suggest either disc or use a vertical tillage equipment, it only goes in the ground like 2 inches. Just to bust some of those stalks up. If you really don't wanna do any tillage I would go in spring with no till soybeans. Just my opinion.

The other thing you could do is ask a local farmer if he would be willing to make corn stalks bales in the spring, that would get rid of most of the stalks.

I figured it'd be tough to do without tillage. I do have a disc so that's no problem. I can rent the county no till drill too. If I no till would it still be good to go after mowing off the corn? Would be messier than conventional harvesting. It's a fairly heavy drill so I imagine it'd cut thru it ok.

If you no till you probably don't have to mow.

Last year I mowed down all my corn by mid December and was very surprised how many of the leaves/stalks broke down or blew away over winter. Could have easily no till seeded and cultipacked buckwheat or something similar this spring.

Mow as soon as the season ends, to maximize the breakdown of residue.

If your drill is heavy, just no til thru the stalks the following spring and you’re good to go.

Mow as soon as the season ends, to maximize the breakdown of residue.

If your drill is heavy, just no til thru the stalks the following spring and you’re good to go.

That's what I would do.Take advantage of putting the corn OM back into the soil.