cop in south carolina

UP Powers

5 year old buck +
Am I the only person on this planet that is saying, if an administrator asks the student to leave, if the teacher asks the student to leave, and the officer calmly asks the student to leave, than the officer uses force to remove her. Why is that wrong?? That video didn't sicken me one bit. If that was my kid she would get a worse butt whippen than the cop gave her from me. The girl didn't comply with orders from a teacher and police officer. I bet the next time a cop tells her to do something she will think twice. Now this poor officer is going to lose his job from some snotty punk kid. Really sickens me.

And they wonder why our schools are descending into anarchy.

As the public/media opinion continues to swing the pendulum this way, police officers will continue to do less and less proactive work. The result will be more crime and violence until the pendulum swings back the other way.

As the public/media opinion continues to swing the pendulum this way, police officers will continue to do less and less proactive work. The result will be more crime and violence until the pendulum swings back the other way.
So very sad!!!!!

UP, I don't disagree with you. We were just talking about this. It's like the inmates running the asylum.

This all started over the girl's refusal to put her phone away. Why do the schools even allow the phones in a classroom?

I am more sickened to hear what people are saying about this cop. What is he supposed to do??? Ok.. honey let's talk this out and let's hug. I know you don't want to leave school and you want to sit here all day. Ok. let's just all sit around and wait for you to leave. NO.. you are given a DIRECT order to move from a teacher, administrator, and a cop. If you choose to not move, things escalate to the next level of force. She was given verbal commands, than the cop went to open hands. Guess what?? The trained professional won. The girl (criminal) is now under arrest. I am sure she is an upstanding and 100% straight A student with a mom and dad that are a lawyer and a Dr.

Yes.. this has nothing to do with hunting or planting trees. But, I will guarantee that girl never spent a day in the woods with a shovel or a saw.

and for the record.. Yes john this may not be under the golden rule of topics but when law enforcement officers who protect me and my children are being hammered in the public eye, it makes me sick to my stomach.

Ok. new topic.. Creating wind screens with willows. :)

Yep if that was me as a kid my Dad would a kicked my butt. I see nothing wrong with how that went down.

This BS seems to be wildly spreading through school systems. Only fed more and more by adults who wont do what is needed to properly raise their child(ren). Then when others try to convey the notion of what it takes to be a respectable person in society they get berated in the publics eye.

Back when those two idiot kids tackled the referee during the football game, I used it as a teaching moment. Though I didnt really need to because my son already knew the correct answer. I asked my son how I would have responded if it had been him, "He said I wouldnt want to find out!" I said good because I wouldnt want to be on the football field dragging him by his facemask to the sideline where my foot would have found his backside repeatedly.

UP,

I have witnessed and experienced this type of student melt down over a cell phone many times.

In the three school districts I work in (7-12th grades) Cell phone usage is almost the norm. In all three schools there are differing degrees of cell phones rules. In one, the rule used to be students could have it in their locker and if caught with it on them it would be taken and returned either at end of class or picked up in the office(depending on how many times the kid was caught with their cell phone) The rule is now the students can have then on them but not use them.

In the middle school there was 100% consistency with teachers taking a black and white approach to the rule and following through with the consequences they were told to apply. It became such an issue with parents complaining about them not being able to contact their kids if they needed to and a personal property issue(not taking my kid's phone) that the school changed it to what it is currently (can only used them during lunch and passing time)and the kids(vast, vast majority) follow the rule. All teachers follow same consequences as before. At the high school in this district they have same rule but it is not followed almost unanimously. It is rare for a teacher to battle about cell phones. From my perspective it seemed that the administration let it slide for those teachers who didn't bother following the rules on cell phones which resulted in a tougher battle for those that chose to follow the cell phone rules in their classroom but were eventually worn down by the daily battles and have chosen not to fight that battle anymore. The leadership is one of the key differences between the schools.

In the second district they are not allowed to be on the student's person and are taken with the above rules applied in the middle school. Compliance is almost 100% as well. Teachers are all on the same page. At the high school their rule is the students can have theirs on them but can't use them unless at lunch or passing time. In the many classrooms I have observed and worked in I would say that at any time there are between one third to one half of kids doing something on their cell phones. There are close to 100% of the teachers not following the rules on cell phones as most didn't comply from the get go and those that did, quit the battle as little follow through was happening from administration for those who continued to use their cell phone. The vast majority of teachers allow cell phone use either by totally ignoring the issue or make deals with kids that as long as they stay off it when he/she is teaching the lesson they can use them when they are finished. However a large percentage of kids are on their phones regardless of instruction mode. The administration at this high school is all about being the kid's friend and establishing a relationship that way. Backing a teacher there is a 50/50 situation and morale is low at this school. I don't see a good future for many of the students who go to this high school. Besides administration issues, parents have been very vocal at this high school about them taking their child's cell phone and I think they tired of this battle and this helped them arrive to the point they are at now.

The third district has the same cell phone policy at it's middle school and it is followed 100% by teachers and again the vast, vast majority of students. Their high school allows the students to have theirs on them but can not use them in class rooms. A majority of teachers and students follow the rules. Administration follow through with consequences and backs the teacher. Parents have complained but so far administration has not caved.

The first two districts are located in the largest metropolitan region of NE and the other is a small town in a rural area. Call me Captain Obvious but since cell phones started showing up in classrooms, teaching time and student academic focus has been diminished and time spent on behavior issues has increased. It's not going to get better unless something changes in people's perspectives on cell phones in school. It starts with the parents but administration needs to have a spine on the issue and back the teachers that keep cell phones off in their classroom and get the others that don't comply to follow what is in the best interest of their students. (That is my solution but I am 47 years old)

The cell phone culture we have in place now will be tough to change and I don't think it will. Almost without exception, the 30 and under crowd that I know and witness can't function without looking at their cell phone every minute or so. The teachers being hired today are of this culture and perhaps they will be able to make the cell phone a tool of educational focus instead of a distraction/behavior issue retarding the learning that should be happening in classrooms.

Our policy is to take any cell phone seen or heard in the classroom and turn it into the office. The office will only return the phone to a parent or guardian. If parents don't come to the school to pick up their kid's phone it stays in the office. Once it became an inconvenience and responsibility for the parents, cell phones became much less visible in the classroom.

The police have it bad with the media right now! LEO's are in a bad situation where damned if you do, damned if you don't. Scary what could happen if this trend continues.

A lot of the sh that happens in schools today - anywhere - is due to lack of parenting. It isn't the teacher's fault if any kid has no respect when they go to school. Parents don't have to beat their kids to be respectful necessarily, but parents have to lay down some laws to kids. Ground them, take phone away, no computer use, etc. When parents keep the kids from doing things with their friends - that gets their attention. No consequences for bad behavior gets you spoiled brats.

Sorry guys I have to disagree. That was excessive force. I don't care what an Ahole she was being he was in no danger from her. It could have been handled way better. He was having a bad day in a thankless job and made a bad decision. Police are under enough scrutiny for no reason I hate to see them add to it for no good reason. That said she should be expelled for a long time and her lawyer should shut up. It's to bad he lost his job

I agree he went overboard. He also has prior excessive force charges on him. Bad decision on his part. But WAY too many kids have no respect for authority these days - and that's due to lack of parental guidance and discipline. When I went to school, nobody mouthed off to the teachers - let alone refusing a direct order !! We didn't carry guns to school, and shoot at each other because someone was " dis-respected " !! The fact that some schools around the country want to arm the teachers because so many kids are out of control says one thing - the parents SUCK !! It's not the teachers' fault kids come to school with a " bad-ass " attitude. It's the parents fault, plain & simple. Yet nowhere in the news reports do we hear ANY blame go to the parents for raising a POS for a kid. The blame always goes on the teachers and the cops. BS !!!!

He used excessive force?? Really?? Should he have lured her with cupcakes?? How about lay down flower petals and a welcome mat. A teacher, an administrator, and a police officer gave HER a DIRECT order to stand up and leave the room. She made a decision to sit there and not leave. The Officer used VERBAL commands, she didn't comply, He used open hands with wrestling NO VISIBLE strikes, perfectly in compliance. If the police officer was swinging a baton and beating her, YES excessive force. The force he used was perfectly in line, if he couldn't control her with open hands than it goes to the baton or stun.

That officer did his job! Oh.. let's bring this guy up on charges of excessive force from years past. Do you have any idea how many people complain about excessive force? Most people comply with an order from an officer, those that don't, get tossed on the ground and in cuffs. I watched the video twice... officer was in line. I will be wild if he is charged and dismissed. I will guarantee that there will be a lawsuit filed to get his job back if it does happen.

That kid if she was mine would not see the light of day for a month if she did that to her teacher and a police officer. The courts would be the least of her concerns. That officer in my opinion did his job.

I had no problem with it up to hucking her like a sack of potatoes. I just thought it was to much for a class room setting. In the street fine, do what you have to do. I think judging by the other students reaction it was no surprise she got what she got. I just wish this stuff didn't get recorded and played over and over. It is not helping law enforcement and probably leads to more a holes baiting them into stuff.

Anyone have the video? I usually avoid these things but u guys have sparked my interest

-John

If you think the wheaty pissing around here has bad don't bother going to the comments section of YouTube.

And I don't agree with the text the poster added.