Just so you know it wasn't always so !

Brokenbear

5 year old buck +
This old plywwod n tin girl is soon to come down if she doesn't fall down first....we had her and her two sisters scattered on the farm ..started out 15 of our family's children (no only 3 for me) in these old gals ..
Now there are two fancy factory one's about 100 yards on each side of her ..readying up for the grand kids coming along ...
The old gals did not hold the scent at all ...the windows were hinged and raised outward and were actually just the piece of plywood where we cut out the window ...
A month before archery season we would go spray wasps etc. as it was not any kind of critter proof ..then tie up the "windows" to get the deer used to the openings ..
The old gals didn't slow the wind down much but a buddy heater sitting on a 30# tank made the adventure tolerable and even fun for kids and adults alike ..
Doubtful a pickup truck could hold all the smores, hot dogs, marshmallows, Vienna sausages and other sundry items ..
Did you know deer come to roasting green peanuts??

11022023.jpeg

It dawned on me a short while ago that these old classics are fading into extinction just like their predecessors that were nailed to trees did. Kinda sad really.

The times, they are a changin'

Yep, fiberglass and plastic rules the day. I can’t really say that I miss the wasps, lizards, spiders, etc. that we used to fight in these old stands. I’m pretty satisfied with my fibergl stands with their hinged windows, locking doors, nice shelf for my binos to sit on, as well as a gun rest.
We once had one blow over on my Central Texas lease that was just on five foot legs. We set it back up and I got in it to clean the spider webs out with a stick. Getting out of the sunlight and into the dark blind made me not be able to see well until my eyes adjusted to the light. Kinda like going into a beer joint, but I’m sure y’all know nothing about that. 😁 Anyway, when my eyes adjusted I started seeing the reason for all the spider webs. I had leather gloves on and was able to kill fourteen (14) black widow spiders. I looked all over the chair and under it first I assure you !

It dawned on me a short while ago that these old classics are fading into extinction just like their predecessors that were nailed to trees did. Kinda sad really.
Interesting point, aesthetically I prefer the old style. Plastic looks tacky and out of place in a natural environment imo.

Meateater did a calendar where people submitted crazy old deer stands called “F’d Up Old Deerstands”. This wouldn’t have fit the bill cause these were like porta John’s in trees and whatnot. But those old stands have a place in my heart. My dad and the guys in the club would always be building and maintaining those things. Carpet on the floors and rolling office chairs were must haves! I loved hunting them as a kid

The kids thought they were hilarious..all ramshackled uneven n lopsided .. they named them by what they reminded them of .. the old girl pictured was the Dr Seuss .. kids were required to participate in the builds and repairs no matter how young or old even it it was just holding the screws for dad
But I guess it paid off as all have grit.. have done well in life and family.. still call home and even come home when the opportunity presents itself
Now I get ahold of grandkids and to the farm we go .. in an old truck tire rim the fire gets started and the kids are sent to the woods to find their own marshmallows n hot dog stick and what we are working on is steel legged n all squared off but ground still needs leveling iron bolted n a big lift ..
The youngest of grand kids is now in college .. the oldest granddaughter is presenting us with our first great granddaughter
Now let’s see .. where in the leaves will I find that dadgum truck tire rim .. I’ll need a fire again one of these days

Bear

Meateater did a calendar where people submitted crazy old deer stands called “F’d Up Old Deerstands”. This wouldn’t have fit the bill cause these were like porta John’s in trees and whatnot. But those old stands have a place in my heart. My dad and the guys in the club would always be building and maintaining those things. Carpet on the floors and rolling office chairs were must haves! I loved hunting them as a kid
I'm sitting in one right now. I'd take some pics but I don't want to stand up as my walls are only about 40" high.