Concordia Oaks and Swamp / Bur Hybrids

Schuette's are AWESOME!!!

I have found that straight Bur Oak will often produce in 10-12 years, and Swamp White Oak will more than likely have acorns in 10 years. Multiple plantings and experimenting. Baby the tree (cage or tube) and you will have a nice little oak stand in 10-15 years.

A mix of hybrids, Bur, SWO would give a nice variety and produce acorns faster than most people realize!

Last edited:
SWO in cage, 2 yrs old

Bur Oak (planted) about 10 yrs old

Attachments

• E9E2778B-B684-43BA-BC31-3FCC007E0122.jpeg
    E9E2778B-B684-43BA-BC31-3FCC007E0122.jpeg
    400.4 KB · Views: 100
  • 3A743DD5-E3CE-44E5-B77A-7F4F9355136F.jpeg
    3A743DD5-E3CE-44E5-B77A-7F4F9355136F.jpeg
    818.6 KB · Views: 101
I have found that straight Bur Oak will often produce in 10-12 years, and Swamp White Oak will more than likely have acorns in 10 years. Multiple plantings and experimenting. Baby the tree (cage or tube) and you will have a nice little oak stand in 10-15 years.

A mix of hybrids, Bur, SWO would give a nice variety and produce acorns faster than most people realize!

I have found similar with burrs, whites, and a few reds all producing in a doz years or less when you pamper them some, lots of sun and good site index soils for oaks. Not necessarily great soils to grow everything but great for oaks. Mine tend to be sandy loam. The one downfall with all this early production is young trees are more prone to critter damage when things crawl all over them or in my case beardozed over

Anyone have any updated pictures or growth on your swamp bur oaks?

These are on their 4th summer
cdbc6d6413f3666b414e0d0c6c7c71a1.jpg
2a99cccb788051fff06a88a718b5a197.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

This is from Sunday morning. Just regular swamp white oak. They were pretty tiny plugs when I got them from Itasca this spring. Size 20 I believe. Most of them have a few inches of new height on them. They all put on extra leaves. They should really get going in the next year or two. They get plenty of sun where I placed them.

I like the biggest plugs I can find. The small ones are shit. Learned that lesson the hard way. Think I will try 10 of the schuettes from Nativ nursery next year. My white pines and cannan fir trees from Itasca on the other hand are chugging right along.

IMG_6014[1].JPGIMG_6015[1].JPG

bwoods11 …. from the images above, there's very little in your 2 photos to suggest there is much swamp white oak in the tree(s) in the photo. The acorns are large, like a bur oak with heavy fringe on the end of the cap (again, like a Bur Oak). The acorns are clustered (4-5 like Bur Oak) at the end of a limb (like a bur oak) and they lack the peduncle found with Swamp White Oak acorns. Among white oak trees, only the English oak and Swamp White Oak have acorns on the end of a stem called a peduncle and usually no more than 2 acorns. The leaves are clearly more like a Bur Oak (especially the sinus between lobes … "The bur oak has a deep sinus only on the lobes in the central part of the leaf") than a Swamp White Oak. Finally, the larger limb in the top of the first photo looks like the bark found on a young Bur Oak and not a Swamp White Oak tree. Regarding the attached photos, 1st photo is a picture of a limb on a young Bur Oak and the 2nd picture is that of limbs on a Swamp White Oak. Nevertheless, they are great trees that are producing well for you. Congratulations!

Bur Oak limb
1565671442952.png

Swamp white oak limb
"Swamp white oak is a striking tree with attractive peeling bark, especially on young
trees."

1565671736013.png

Oakseeds—which photo are you referring ?
I have a mix of Bur oak, Swamp White Oak, and combo hybrid on here?

Should be Swamp White correct on this one?B826FD4B-B903-4242-9AE9-43937A146E75.jpeg5A820DE9-0242-4C80-AE73-6229F446F588.jpeg

Oakseeds—which photo are you referring ?
I have a mix of Bur oak, Swamp White Oak, and combo hybrid on here?

The Aug. 3 post (last post on previous page of this thread) where you identify 2 photos of "solid acorns on my Swamp Bur Oaks"

So not likely to have any Swamp White traits? I would guess very possible.

Anyone planting any hybrids...I have 25 ordered from Kelly Tree Farm in Iowa

Same question,,,did anyone plant Swamp White Oaks, or hybrids this spring, or any updates on growth for planted oaks?

I completed a tree planting project through the county a few weeks ago, I planted 50 SWO, 50 Bottomland Bur is what the Iowa State Nursery Calls them, I assume they are Schutes Oak and 25 Regular Bur Oak. Everything has a 5' Plantra Tree Tube. I have to maintain them for 20 years according to the contract, but that shouldn't be an issue. I look forward to seeing what they will do. Most of them have began leafing out already. They were anywhere from 2-4' tall with lots of roots.

This is what I planted:

3 Schuettes (swamp white x bur) from Nativ Nursery- I planted them and then the temperature got down to about 22 degrees and nuked all the leaves
5 swamp white oak plugs from Itasca to go along with the 15 from last year.
12 acorns that I turned into plants in the basement
30 burr oak plugs from Itasca
10 burr oak and swamp white oak bare roots from MDC.

Weed mats installed on all of them. 4x4'
Tubes or cages installed on all of them.
75% of them mulched with dead birch trees
100% of them cleared for 8 hours of sun per day
Some of them wont make it cause we didnt get any rain for most of MAY. It got really dry and stressed my plantings from this season. Not a good season for trees so far.

IMG_3007.JPGIMG_3013.JPGIMG_3037.JPG

I completed a tree planting project through the county a few weeks ago, I planted 50 SWO, 50 Bottomland Bur is what the Iowa State Nursery Calls them, I assume they are Schutes Oak and 25 Regular Bur Oak. Everything has a 5' Plantra Tree Tube. I have to maintain them for 20 years according to the contract, but that shouldn't be an issue. I look forward to seeing what they will do. Most of them have began leafing out already. They were anywhere from 2-4' tall with lots of roots.

What county in Iowa? That sounds great

Jones County