Concealed Carry

I take more of a state's rights perspective. I think each state should decide how to handle the control of firearms. They can be quite different. I can see how one state may look at the control requirements of another and come to the conclusion they don't fit here (more or less stringent). While I like the convenience of reciprocal agreements, I like the principle of each state making their own choices.

You may have missed the point. It is a crime to carry concealed without a concealed carry permit. My point was that cops can use that to arrest and convict young gang members that have committed no other crime. They can be stopped on other probably cause grounds, searched for safety of the officer, and when found with a concealed gun arrested on that basis alone. We are an open carry state, so if they had not concealed the firearm, they would walk. Of course they know if they walk around open carrying they are going to be a target for law enforcement.

For hardened gang members with criminal records, possession alone is breaking the law, but for newer gang members without a record the concealed carry laws serve a purpose.

Even with the low bar of a "shall issue" state, it requires going through a process, paying $50, and providing personal information to law enforcement. These kids will never do that.

They don't keep guns out of their hands, but they do give law enforcement one more tool to deal with them. There are also folks with mental health issues that need to be weeded out. In our state, private sales don't require a background checks. Some folks in this condition will apply for a CCP, and this is a way to weed out some of them.

Thanks,

Jack
Sounds good, but not the way things go down. When you pinch a gang member the misdemeanor permit charge is nothing compared to the stolen gun with the SN ground off. Plus, you rarely catch them standing there with a gun in their pants. If they're packing the run and lose it, when you catch them and find it, you have plenty to run with.

Sounds good, but not the way things go down. When you pinch a gang member the misdemeanor permit charge is nothing compared to the stolen gun with the SN ground off. Plus, you rarely catch them standing there with a gun in their pants. If they're packing the run and lose it, when you catch them and find it, you have plenty to run with.
Reasonable point. It is certainly not the answer, just one more tool.

NO in PA there good for 5 years NOT 4, so just a FYI!
You are correct. I must have been thinking of my driver's license.

Well, I dropped off the application today and found out something interesting. The instructions were a little ambiguous. They have renewal and new applications. New applications require a little different documentation. The instructions say renewals should be submitted 45 days before expiration. It was unclear to me whether that meant "at least 45 days" or "within 45 days" or "exactly 45 days". Mine expires in less than 45 days, so to be on the safe side I made copies of the documentation for both.

When I chatted with the intake clerk, she told me that the 45 days comes from the fact that it can take up to 45 days for them to process and mail you a new card. The intent is to make sure you don't have a gap. I don't carry every day, so a gap is not a big issue for me, so it looks like things are now in motion.

the thing with permits is you just don;t really want them to expire, as some states can make you re take tests or qualify or??
and if things ever go south, you MIGHT be grandfathered in if you keep your permit active!

as for the 45 day deal, not sure what state your in, but in PA< for an example they will send you a notice(some times NOT always, I have had my permit in PA several decades now, and only got one notice, happened to be last dec! and by the time I got it, I had already renewed my permit?? LOL), as you can renew sooner than waiting for exact date to happen??))
but they have been trying to send notices out a few weeks before things expire, to allow you time to make time to go in and renew things. the bigger issue the past two yrs however has been the covid issues, and as such they changed things, wanting you to come in sooner to allow them more time to process things and be able to get you back in before your permit expires
as most sheriff offices the past few yrs have been over run with new permit applications and then the covid rules on being allowed in side there offices has effected things!
under normal conditions and times, All one had to do was go to a sheriff's office the county you RESIDE in, and have them do a new check and picture! and this was done while you waited, unless they were extremely busy or some other ODD event effecting them from being able to process things while you waited, and then you had to come back to try again!

NOW or since covid, they want you to fill out NEW/RENEW applications, hand them in, and when ever they have time they get to them, then they send you a letter or call you to select a time to come in and get your new /permit!!

but again, this is just the past few yrs due to covid, pre covid, it was just go in get a new background check, pass that and your were issued your new permit after a photo was taken for it, that is!

so many states have changed rules due to covid, in time I see things going back to the normal process!

the thing with permits is you just don;t really want them to expire, as some states can make you re take tests or qualify or??
and if things ever go south, you MIGHT be grandfathered in if you keep your permit active!

as for the 45 day deal, not sure what state your in, but in PA< for an example they will send you a notice(some times NOT always, I have had my permit in PA several decades now, and only got one notice, happened to be last dec! and by the time I got it, I had already renewed my permit?? LOL), as you can renew sooner than waiting for exact date to happen??))
but they have been trying to send notices out a few weeks before things expire, to allow you time to make time to go in and renew things. the bigger issue the past two yrs however has been the covid issues, and as such they changed things, wanting you to come in sooner to allow them more time to process things and be able to get you back in before your permit expires
as most sheriff offices the past few yrs have been over run with new permit applications and then the covid rules on being allowed in side there offices has effected things!
under normal conditions and times, All one had to do was go to a sheriff's office the county you RESIDE in, and have them do a new check and picture! and this was done while you waited, unless they were extremely busy or some other ODD event effecting them from being able to process things while you waited, and then you had to come back to try again!

NOW or since covid, they want you to fill out NEW/RENEW applications, hand them in, and when ever they have time they get to them, then they send you a letter or call you to select a time to come in and get your new /permit!!

but again, this is just the past few yrs due to covid, pre covid, it was just go in get a new background check, pass that and your were issued your new permit after a photo was taken for it, that is!

so many states have changed rules due to covid, in time I see things going back to the normal process!

Fortunately, there are no extra hoops here from the permittee perspective except a little paperwork. New applicants have to submit copies of whatever training certificates they are using. In my case, that is just a copy of my Hunter Ed Instructor ID since even the basic new hunter class is sufficient training here. I do know some states have higher training requirements. Renewals have to submit a copy of their existing permit. I think that is the only difference.

I'm not sure if there is more scrutiny done for new applicants than for renewals on the back end. I doubt there is much difference.

Having said that, in general you are right, which is why I started the thread; you really don't want a permit to expire if you can help it. VA now does offer a reminder notice indication on the new form, but there was no such notice on the previous form when I last renewed.

Thanks,

Jack

Just noticed mine expired a month ago.. good thing i haven't been carrying lately.

Constitutional carry takes effect in Ohio a month after my permit expires. I'll have to sit out a month because I won't apply & pay for a renewal to cover the gap.

Open carry in Texas

.......Hip holsters are required ,however

bill

The old concealed carry rules still apply if you still have that license. We are keeping ours current, because I prefer to deep conceal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The old concealed carry rules still apply if you still have that license. We are keeping ours current, because I prefer to deep conceal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Keeping mine current as well

bill

Well, I got denied! I got a letter in the mail with a temporary denial. It pointed out that I had evidently missed answering a question or two on the application. My bad. It meant another trip to the courthouse, but I did learn something talking to the clerk. Evidently the law changed a couple years ago in our state. It now requires "In-Person" training to qualify. A slightly tighter requirement than in the past. The clerk told me a few anti-gun judges are applying this to renewals instead of just new applicants and that they are requiring the training documentation to state "in-person". No training classes that I know of state that on the certificate. After correcting my application with the clerk, it was resubmitted.

Evidently, my application must have made it to one of the "good" judges because I received it in the mail today, good till 2027.

Thanks,

Jack

Constitutional carry takes effect in Ohio a month after my permit expires. I'll have to sit out a month because I won't apply & pay for a renewal to cover the gap.
You may want to check how the laws in your state apply. Missouri has constitutional carry but after discussing the changes when it became effective with a couple police friends and an attorney friend I decided to keep mine.

It's also good for states that may have reciprocal agreements, those states have different constitutions/charters/laws and you may no longer be legal to carry there without the physical permit.