Concealed Carry

yoderjac

5 year old buck +
Just a warning to check your expiration date. I know each state is different. I just checked mine and it expires May 5th. Here in VA, you have to apply 45 days before the expiration date to use the renewal process. So, it look like I've got to jump through the hoops of an initial application.

I just renewed my in WI a couple months ago. It's nice WI sends a letter in the mail reminding you to renew it.

I just renewed my in WI a couple months ago. It's nice WI sends a letter in the mail reminding you to renew it.

The new form in VA now has a box to check for a reminder email. They are good for 5 years here, so it is easy to forget.

I have my MN, and WI CC, and they were both just renewed.

The funny thing is, they send you a reminder, yet they say they dont keep a record of it.

Here in NY I am not allowed to have a conceal permit so no issue. I do have to renew my sportsman permit every 5 years.

We get a reminder in PA. Ours is good for 4 years.

Open carry in Texas

.......Hip holsters are required ,however

bill

Open carry in Texas

bill
I open carried for years in WI till concealed came around.

I personally prefer to conceal mine. I don’t like to advertise I have a weapon on me. When the left see you with a weapon, they freak out, stores will have people follow you around. You also have the risk that someone will jump you and try to take your weapon from you. If I am in public, I cover mine up, or at least attempt to. Any other time, it just hangs on my hip.

It’s kinda ironic, the main reason I started carrying was because I wandered my woods a lot with my dogs, and I wanted to have a handy weapon with me to protect my dogs, and myself from bear, and wolves. Now that I live on my land, I never carry it in the woods anymore, it’s just something that gets in my way when I am working. I am more concerned with my dogs, then I am about myself. But my dogs don’t go deep in the woods with me anymore, because they are older now. And I am sure if a bear or wolf jumped us, the dogs would have my back, and I would defend my dogs as well.

Open carry in Texas

bill

We are an open carry state as well, but I still want a CC. Last I checked the combination of VA and Utah will cover all the states that have reciprocal agreements. Utah offers it to non-residents. There was a guy teaching the Utah class here for I while but I lost track of him. Evidently you need a specific class for Utah. Nothing special is required here. The simple HE class or the fact someone was in the military is sufficient training here.

We get a reminder in PA. Ours is good for 4 years.
NO in PA there good for 5 years NOT 4, so just a FYI!

Here in NY I am not allowed to have a conceal permit so no issue. I do have to renew my sportsman permit every 5 years.
Is it because of some County rules or a judge just not being on board?

it is possible under certian situations to get a carry permit in NY
mostly it comes down how much $$ you have LOL
but it is honestly possible, just a whole lot of paperwork and loops to have to go thru!
it is set up to deter most from doing, being so difficult and costly!

It has been many years since I held one in PA. At the time, you just walked into the county clerk's office, filled out a short form, paid $5 and walked out with the permit. I believe at the time, it was good everywhere in PA except Allegheny and Bucks counties (Philly and Pittsburgh).

It has been many years since I held one in PA. At the time, you just walked into the county clerk's office, filled out a short form, paid $5 and walked out with the permit. I believe at the time, it was good everywhere in PA except Allegheny and Bucks counties (Philly and Pittsburgh).
PA has things set up so there is some extra cash being made by many sheriff's depts
and I say this due to the fact there is a OFFICIAL state fee for the permits, yet ALL sheriff offices in the state or should say MOST of them all charge a difference fee some charge say 20
(the state set price, is 19 dollars+ a 1 doller feee to the state olice for the check)! ) and some charge up to 50 for the permit, and most ONLY take payment in the form of cash, apparently there is NO RULE on what they can charge you for it, as its up to THEM to decide what they want to charge for doing the work to get you the permit, even though there is an official price set by the state for the permit?? Sheriff's can apparently make up what ever price they feel for there time to do it!

considering some counties have 100+k permits per county, when you figure some are charging 5-10-20-or more over the price of the permit, there is a LOT of extra cash being made by many sheriff depts!!
not bashing just saying!(and feel free to look into this if you don't believe me)

as in PA< you need to fill out a forum have the names of two people to vouch for your character, and then they have to process the form which normally takes a few days to weeks, pending how busy they are(the covid crap has backed many up to longer than normal periods) once they do the background check on you, then you need to go in and have your picture taken for your permit ID card! and PAY for the permit, and its good for 5 yrs
once expired, as of new times now, as of 2022, you have to again fill out the same form, info, WAIT for them to do a new background check on you, then GO back when they do so, get a new picture taken an NEW permit ID card issued, and again PAY for the new permit!
the rules in PA basically come down to, if you can legally BUY a gun in PA< you can get a permit same , what would cause you to NOT pass a gun purchase background check, is the same criteria that will fail you for a CCP in PA!

here is the state official info on costs, but again, many counties in PA< the sherrif's charge way more than the 20 bucks!

While the total fee for a License to Carry a Firearm is $19.00 and payable to the Sheriff, only $1.00 of this is sent to the Pennsylvania State Police. This is authorized in 18 Pa.C.S. § 6109(h)(3), which states that "[a]n additional fee of $1.00 shall be paid by the applicant for a license to carry a firearm and shall be remitted by the sheriff to the Firearms License

PA has things set up so there is some extra cash being made by many sheriff's depts
and I say this due to the fact there is a OFFICIAL state fee for the permits, yet ALL sheriff offices in the state or should say MOST of them all charge a difference fee some charge say 20
(the state set price, is 19 dollars+ a 1 doller feee to the state olice for the check)! ) and some charge up to 50 for the permit, and most ONLY take payment in the form of cash, apparently there is NO RULE on what they can charge you for it, as its up to THEM to decide what they want to charge for doing the work to get you the permit, even though there is an official price set by the state for the permit?? Sheriff's can apparently make up what ever price they feel for there time to do it!

considering some counties have 100+k permits per county, when you figure some are charging 5-10-20-or more over the price of the permit, there is a LOT of extra cash being made by many sheriff depts!!
not bashing just saying!(and feel free to look into this if you don't believe me)

as in PA< you need to fill out a forum have the names of two people to vouch for your character, and then they have to process the form which normally takes a few days to weeks, pending how busy they are(the covid crap has backed many up to longer than normal periods) once they do the background check on you, then you need to go in and have your picture taken for your permit ID card! and PAY for the permit, and its good for 5 yrs
once expired, as of new times now, as of 2022, you have to again fill out the same form, info, WAIT for them to do a new background check on you, then GO back when they do so, get a new picture taken an NEW permit ID card issued, and again PAY for the new permit!
the rules in PA basically come down to, if you can legally BUY a gun in PA< you can get a permit same , what would cause you to NOT pass a gun purchase background check, is the same criteria that will fail you for a CCP in PA!

here is the state official info on costs, but again, many counties in PA< the sherrif's charge way more than the 20 bucks!

While the total fee for a License to Carry a Firearm is $19.00 and payable to the Sheriff, only $1.00 of this is sent to the Pennsylvania State Police. This is authorized in 18 Pa.C.S. § 6109(h)(3), which states that "[a]n additional fee of $1.00 shall be paid by the applicant for a license to carry a firearm and shall be remitted by the sheriff to the Firearms License

Wow, it looks like things in PA have significantly tightened up since I live up there. I got my first CC for fly fishing. I carried a .22 with bird shot that was under my fishing vest making it concealed. I used it for snakes. I occasionally had snakes think I was a tree or something as they tried to climb up my hip boots in the middle of the stream.

Is it because of some County rules or a judge just not being on board?
County rules and the judge you get. We have 4 judges. 3 almost always deny 1 will give them out. You have to be able to prove you need it for work. I got a denial letter that said if my employer would write a letter saying it was dependent on my employment I could re-apply. There is zero consistency in how they give them out but the vast majority are declined.

County rules and the judge you get. We have 4 judges. 3 almost always deny 1 will give them out. You have to be able to prove you need it for work. I got a denial letter that said if my employer would write a letter saying it was dependent on my employment I could re-apply. There is zero consistency in how they give them out but the vast majority are declined.

It is really nice to be in a "shall issue" state.

Hoping the permitLESS carry catches on in my state.

Hoping the permitLESS carry catches on in my state.
I'm not sure I want things to go quite that far here. Police use charges against new gang members without a record. Many carry in a waste band and cover with a shirt. I do like the "Shall Issue" that we have where the state needs to show cause to deny rather than the individual having to show need. The bar here is low which I like, but I'm not sure I want to see no bar at all.