Compact Tractor guys - What do you use

B

BJE80

So I'm getting a tractor. Since I've been working plots for my Quad I have a basic understanding of implements. But I want to start with the tractor basics to get a full understanding of exactly what I will actually need and when I should use which one with a tractor since the my capabilities will go up much more.
What do you use for the following?

1. Tillage:
Disc, plow, roto tiller? If you have more than one how do you choose which one you will use for what purpose? I'm thinking I will get a roto tiller right now and will always have my nice 48" ATV disc that tears stuff up good.
Something like this: http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/king-kutter-54-in-xbx-rotary-tiller/0000000076964

2. Fertilizer Spreader:
I'm not sure about this one. On one hand a 3 point one would be nice. But a pull behind one would be great because I could still use it with the ATV on small plots and hooking up a drawbar with a ball sounds easier to hook up than a 3 point one. Not sure and looking for advice.
http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/king-kutter-atv-seeder-spreader/0000000031101
or
http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/king-kutter-900-lb-capacity-steel-seeder-spreader/0000000010020

Important question: What do you guys use to spread small seeds over large areas? Say clover or brassica seeds? Do you still do those with a hand seeder or can you use some type of spreader like I show above? Walking a 2 acre plot with small seeds and a hand seeder sounds like a PITA.

3. Lime Spreader:
Still looking for something. TBD.

4. I was not planning on getting a drill. ????

5. I was probably going to find a cultipacker as well on craigslist. I have a fence drag that is a little small for the tractor but not sure how much I would use it with a tractor anyway. If I wanted to drag I would probably use the ATV anyway.

What else do I need?

Need or want, there is a big difference. I've been getting along with an ATV but my plots are less then yours. Since I also bought a tractor I'm in the same boat. My first purchase was a box blade. This will be used to get my trails in shape. I will also use the ripper shanks like a chisel plow. Them my Roth/Loyal disk will take over. I will continue to pull the drop spreader with the ATV. I'll also pull my drag with the ATV. My next purchase will be a brush/rotary cutter. I'll use it for trail maintenance and mowing the plot, the weed wacker is getting old for this. I've though about a tiller but still not sure on it. I'm also thinking of a wagon or trailer with a dump hoist. $$$$$ is the limit.

Just remember, tillage is not your friend, especially if you are trying to build OM, no matter what implement you are using. BJE, what soil type do you have and what is your current OM if you know it? Rototillers make a sweet looking plot surface, but it probably hurts your OM more than a disk. Moldboard plows are the worst. As far as tillage implements go, chisel plows will do the least to damage your OM.

Just remember, tillage is not your friend, especially if you are trying to build OM, no matter what implement you are using. BJE, what soil type do you have and what is your current OM if you know it? Rototillers make a sweet looking plot surface, but it probably hurts your OM more than a disk. Moldboard plows are the worst. As far as tillage implements go, chisel plows will do the least to damage your OM.

I know. I've done extensive reading on the no till method. I'm fully aware of it. If you remember, I have the heavy a$$ clay.

http://www.habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/help-me-come-up-with-a-good-land-plan.2379/
http://www.habitat-talk.com/index.p...oils-are-well-drained-enough-for-a-plot.2080/

Most of the new area of plots have trees standing there yet so OM is unknown. Mr. Logger has not cut them down yet. :)

The first thing I bought was a tiller. I didn't know any better, big mistake. I can only use it one spot because of the number of rocks I have. If I had to do it over again I would buy a sprayer and a no till drill. On the clover seed I use the solo bag spreader. It is awesome on small seeds. You could two acres in 20 minutes.

The first thing I bought was a tiller. I didn't know any better, big mistake. I can only use it one spot because of the number of rocks I have. If I had to do it over again I would buy a sprayer and a no till drill. On the clover seed I use the solo bag spreader. It is awesome on small seeds. You could two acres in 20 minutes.

Are you talking about this bad boy? I am buying one this spring I think.

61wEyPHAfTL._SY355_.jpg

I'll use my ATV sprayer that I already have so that is taken care of.

Can you drill brassicas and clover?

We have 5 acre field, a 2 acre field and 2 small deep wood plots about 1/4 acre

1. Tillage - Roto-tiller, way to rocky in my area. When we bought our tractor it came with a two bottom plow and 3 point disk. We used plow once and now use the disk all the time. We also have an old spring drag that is pulled behind ATV, works well and get the job done on small plots if you make enough passes. We normally don't get a very deep tillage, just enough to loosen up the soil. Kind of wish we had disk on wheels vs 3 point.

2. Spreader - We used an ATV rack mounted spreader, it was ok, got the job done. We also used pull behind atv spreaders, small and narrow was no good. Large and wide ok. We also use the large 3 point cone spreader, much better easy to use no tipping fast etc, but not practical for small plots. For small seed the hand spreader works best. For larger seed I like the bag spreader.

3. Lime spreader, hired coop or used pellet lime.

4. Used a drill for the first time last year. I'm a big fan, makes a real nice oat, rye and pea plot. We also have a two row corn planter. Nice to have but not necessary.

5 . Cultipacker, just got one last fall. Prior to that we ran circles and figure eights with the ATVs

Also have a brush mower, sprayer and box blade. Box blade can work well for light tillage or light root raking.

A person can get by with less, but it is nice to the right tool when needed.

So I'm getting a tractor. Since I've been working plots for my Quad I have a basic understanding of implements. But I want to start with the tractor basics to get a full understanding of exactly what I will actually need and when I should use which one with a tractor since the my capabilities will go up much more.
What do you use for the following?

1. Tillage:
Disc, plow, roto tiller? If you have more than one how do you choose which one you will use for what purpose? I'm thinking I will get a roto tiller right now and will always have my nice 48" ATV disc that tears stuff up good.
Something like this: http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/king-kutter-54-in-xbx-rotary-tiller/0000000076964

2. Fertilizer Spreader:
I'm not sure about this one. On one hand a 3 point one would be nice. But a pull behind one would be great because I could still use it with the ATV on small plots and hooking up a drawbar with a ball sounds easier to hook up than a 3 point one. Not sure and looking for advice.
http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/king-kutter-atv-seeder-spreader/0000000031101
or
http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/king-kutter-900-lb-capacity-steel-seeder-spreader/0000000010020

Important question: What do you guys use to spread small seeds over large areas? Say clover or brassica seeds? Do you still do those with a hand seeder or can you use some type of spreader like I show above? Walking a 2 acre plot with small seeds and a hand seeder sounds like a PITA.

3. Lime Spreader:
Still looking for something. TBD.

4. I was not planning on getting a drill. ????

5. I was probably going to find a cultipacker as well on craigslist. I have a fence drag that is a little small for the tractor but not sure how much I would use it with a tractor anyway. If I wanted to drag I would probably use the ATV anyway.
What else do I need?
How about a sprayer? I use a disc,drag, cultipacker, and sometimes a 3 bottom plow after I plant corn. I don't have a tiller, but I think it would be nice on small plots. I think I would invest in a nice disc for the price. Less up keep and faster.Hooking up 3pt equipment can be a pain in the @ss, I have to do it by myself a lot. Those spreaders are nice, if you don't have a lot of acreage you could get buy with a pull behind spreader for your atv. I put in between 3-5 acres and I use a agri fab, it doesn't take long to spread fertilizer or even lime. It holds about 175# paid $100 on craigslist. I also use this spreder for all my large seed, soybeans,wheat, rye, it works great. I use a small Scotts hand spreader for small seed like brassica and clover. Have someone sit on the back of your atv and drive them around while they hand crank. Hope this helps.

Do you guys even broadcast anything once you have a drill? I gues if you have a drill you don't need a cultipacker anymore.

Are you talking about this bad boy? I am buying one this spring I think.

61wEyPHAfTL._SY355_.jpg

I'll use my ATV sprayer that I already have so that is taken care of.

Can you drill brassicas and clover?
No, mine is a red bag, maybe it is not a solo. It was recommended by many on here, really cranks the seeds out.

How about a sprayer? I use a disc,drag, cultipacker, and sometimes a 3 bottom plow after I plant corn. I don't have a tiller, but I think it would be nice on small plots. I think I would invest in a nice disc for the price. Less up keep and faster.Hooking up 3pt equipment can be a pain in the @ss, I have to do it by myself a lot. Those spreaders are nice, if you don't have a lot of acreage you could get buy with a pull behind spreader for your atv. I put in between 3-5 acres and I use a agri fab, it doesn't take long to spread fertilizer or even lime. It holds about 175# paid $100 on craigslist. I also use this spreder for all my large seed, soybeans,wheat, rye, it works great. I use a small Scotts hand spreader for small seed like brassica and clover. Have someone sit on the back of your atv and drive them around while they hand crank. Hope this helps.

I have an ATV sprayer and will continue to use that. Won't be a problem. Good catch though I missed that. I'll have ~4 acres of plots total. I currenlty have a Moultrie Spreader that works decent and maybe I could just continue to use that as well on the Quad.

I might have to just rethink this. Keep my disc but use it with the tractor. I know people will laugh at that but if I put that Loyal Roth Disc on the most aggressive setting it tears stuff up real good if I am going to till.

No, mine is a red bag, maybe it is not a solo. It was recommended by many on here, really cranks the seeds out.
That is earthway and I already have one of those. Those Solo's are supposed to be better with more capacity.

earthway-hand-seeder-4.gif

You still need a cultipacker if you use a conventional drill.

You still need a cultipacker if you use a conventional drill.

Can you explain? Someone needs to help me understand the "coventional drill" vs "other drills" and why you would need to pack after.

The first hand seeder I bought was an earth way. It worked ok for larger seeds but not so good for smaller like clover. Last year I bought a solo like pictured and use it for most my seeding now. I use the earth way for fertilizer, rye & oats, this works better for these larger seeds, I use the solo for clover, rape, radish, chicory etc.

The first hand seeder I bought was an earth way. It worked ok for larger seeds but not so good for smaller like clover. Last year I bought a solo like pictured and use it for most my seeding now. I use the earth way for fertilizer, rye & oats, this works better for these larger seeds, I use the solo for clover, rape, radish, chicory etc.

Bingo, that is why I want to get the solo.

Can you explain? Someone needs to help me understand the "coventional drill" vs "other drills" and why you would need to pack after.
Seed to soil contact. A no till packs the seed, regular just puts it in the ground.

Seed to soil contact. A no till packs the seed, regular just puts it in the ground.

So it just puts a hole in the ground with a seed in the bottom for regular. Where the no till pushes packs on top.
How big of a drill would you suggest for a guy with plots my size? And is Craigs list my best bet? I take it they are not cheap.

And just to confirm. If I were to get a drill I would be able to plant everything via that method correct? No need to hand seed anything anymore. Spray, Drill, Cultipack.

I suppose I could keep spraying to keep the thatch down and then just broadcast and cultipack without the cost of a drill.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know. I've done extensive reading on the no till method. I'm fully aware of it. If you remember, I have the heavy a$$ clay.

http://www.habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/help-me-come-up-with-a-good-land-plan.2379/
http://www.habitat-talk.com/index.p...oils-are-well-drained-enough-for-a-plot.2080/

Most of the new area of plots have trees standing there yet so OM is unknown. Mr. Logger has not cut them down yet. :)
Heavy tillage in clay can result in a compacted area at the base of the tillage zone, this will vary with the implement used and the moisture content of the soil during tillage.
A conventional drill is best used in a prepared seedbed, meaning the field must be prepped with tillage equipment before using a conventional drill for best results, not saying it won't work as a no-till, because in the right soil and conditions it can do an adequate job for food plots. Tight, heavy clay is not the right soil to use a conventional drill as a no-till. A true no-till drill weighs about 4 times what a conventional drill will typically weigh and requires no prior tillage to planting, as the sheer weight of the implement and the design of the coulters will slice into the soil to the proper depth to place the seed and the closure wheels will cover it properly.