Chufa Question.

Nutcracker

Buck Fawn
Eight days ago I broadcasted an acre of chufa, using 40 pound of Whitetail Insitute seed. I killed all the grass a month ago and tilled it. I limed it back in the winter, when I broadcasted it I also added about 150 -200 pounds of 10-10-10-, incorporated all of that with a chain drag harrow & ran a cultipacker over it. As soon as I finishd it all we had about an inch of rain, none since. My question is how long on average until chufa sprouts out of the ground? I dont see a lot on top, so I think I covered it pretty good. My first time with chufa. Thanks.

Chain drag, teeth in ground or used the smoother side.

With the teeth in the ground , then cultipacked.

I have found that chufa likes
To be planted deep. If you’re not seeing much on top of the ground after using a chain harrow I suspect the coons and squirrels may have already feasted on your chufa. It doesn’t take long for it to sprout after a rain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I planted it may 26. I used the teeth down on the cahin and it seemed to bury them pretty deep. I meant I never seen too many seeds on top, immediately after I was finished. I sure hope it is just slow. The field is two acres, and I planted corn/soybeans & another summer blend on both ends . That stuff is coming up great. But the acre in the middles where I planted chufa, nothing yet. Not even a weed,LOL

You could dig up a spot or two and look for seeds.

I'd have a plan B ready, bag of oats, buckwheat, or whatever you can grow mid summer.

I contacted , the seed company today. they said 14-20 days, but sometimes sooner. So I still have some hope. The spot does have a fair amount of shade. Actually I did plant some buckwheat today, but in another field. I had another 3/4 acre spot that I planted BW a month ago, it is just stems, as the deer tore it up. I planted it to build soil. I had 10 pounds of chufa left & planted that to.day . Thanks for all the replies.