All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chufa Question.

Nutcracker

Buck Fawn
Eight days ago I broadcasted an acre of chufa, using 40 pound of Whitetail Insitute seed. I killed all the grass a month ago and tilled it. I limed it back in the winter, when I broadcasted it I also added about 150 -200 pounds of 10-10-10-, incorporated all of that with a chain drag harrow & ran a cultipacker over it. As soon as I finishd it all we had about an inch of rain, none since. My question is how long on average until chufa sprouts out of the ground? I dont see a lot on top, so I think I covered it pretty good. My first time with chufa. Thanks.

Chain drag, teeth in ground or used the smoother side.

With the teeth in the ground , then cultipacked.

I have found that chufa likes
To be planted deep. If you’re not seeing much on top of the ground after using a chain harrow I suspect the coons and squirrels may have already feasted on your chufa. It doesn’t take long for it to sprout after a rain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I planted it may 26. I used the teeth down on the cahin and it seemed to bury them pretty deep. I meant I never seen too many seeds on top, immediately after I was finished. I sure hope it is just slow. The field is two acres, and I planted corn/soybeans & another summer blend on both ends . That stuff is coming up great. But the acre in the middles where I planted chufa, nothing yet. Not even a weed,LOL

You could dig up a spot or two and look for seeds.

I'd have a plan B ready, bag of oats, buckwheat, or whatever you can grow mid summer.

I contacted , the seed company today. they said 14-20 days, but sometimes sooner. So I still have some hope. The spot does have a fair amount of shade. Actually I did plant some buckwheat today, but in another field. I had another 3/4 acre spot that I planted BW a month ago, it is just stems, as the deer tore it up. I planted it to build soil. I had 10 pounds of chufa left & planted that to.day . Thanks for all the replies.