Chufa part 1 & commentary from renowned wild turkey expert yoderjack "the wise"

We had pretty strong turkey numbers for 20 years. The past few years it was starting to look like our local flocks were on the brink of extinction, but then this year we seem to have really had a successful breeding season on just a handful of hens. Looking promising for spring '22 at this point. I can see why non-hunting farmers or landowners would hate them. They can reek havoc on seed in the ground. Hey if you can't beat em, join em.

I dont know MN law so I cant speak on that. Chufa is a cultivated domestic variety of nutsedge. It's nothing at all like the weed nutsedge, go dig up a mature nutsedge plant and look at the roots youll find there's nothing really there besides some stringy roots and then compare it to chufa. I filled a quart size bag of nuts which was a pound or two off of 4 plant. I havent seen turkeys fooling with the weed nutsedge either. As far as I know with all the research and experience chufa is definitely not invasive. Comparing the weedy version to chufa would kind of be like an invasive callery pear with tiny pea size hard fruit vs a fully loaded grafted cultivar. They're both in the same family but one is bad and one is good. I hate nutsedge as much as the next guy that crap is tough
Thanks for the Chufa primer

Look forward to hearing more about your place

bill