Chufa part 1 & commentary from renowned wild turkey expert yoderjack "the wise"

Dont wanna start any trouble but you know I just joined this site, this is my first post on here. I have looked at a lot of the content on here prior to joining and there is a reoccurring theme with you hijacking other peoples threads and rambling on with a very condescending tone. I dont know if you're doing it intentionally but it's very obvious.

I dont really want to keep going back and forth with you about chufa. It's not even a debatable subject. If you have chufa you will have more turkeys. Point blank period. I know guys down in GA who have been using it from the beginning. I dont think its debatable that it is the most preffered food source available to turkeys. And yes that also means an attraction for hunting season but an attraction for hens on a safe remote piece of ground that is void of nest predators from march-june

Not to mention in my plot from late June to August it was 2-3ft high clumps of vegetation with bare soil underneath loaded with bugs and tiny pockets of ragweed and volunteer clover coming around it. Honestly the most ideal bugging/chick rearing habitat you could imagine. The poults can feed in the open ground understory unhindered by thatch. A hens full body is concealed while she can merely poke her head out and look for danger. This plot was loaded with birds prior to the underground "crop" being ready. This means it's good chick rearing cover, bugging cover, fall/winter/and hopefully spring food source....yeah sounds like a bummer.

I could keep going and going on about this stuff but i feel like I'm wasting my breath have a nice day

Welcome to the forum! I had no idea if this was your first post or when you joined. From my perspective, threads to "belong" to anyone. Nothing I've said is off the topic of chufa. One of the best things about this site is that folks who are new to habitat and wildlife management have an opportunity to see different perspectives. They can evaluate the discussion and see what best fits with their situation. There is absolutely nothing personal here from my perspective. I applauded you for this thread and I think the "how to" is a good contribution to the forum that folks will benefit from. It is ok that we have different perspectives on the "why" and "how" chufa does or doesn't contribute to a management program. There will be some folks whose situation and objectives are closer to mine and others who are closer to yours.

The idea of presenting a different perspective where I have one is intentional. As long as we are discussing pros and cons of a topic and not making personal attacks, I think it lets readers, many of whom don't post, have alternatives to consider.

Thanks,

Jack

Thetrooper,

Thanks for posting this. I've never planted Chufa before so it's neat to see a first hand account. I enjoyed viewing your post. Welcome to HT! I hope you stay and continue to provide great threads like this.

Jack,

Get off his ass. He wasn't trying to demonstrate a complete turkey habitat program, just his results with Chufa. You didn't need to railroad him for it.

Carry on..

Welcome to the forum! I had no idea if this was your first post or when you joined. From my perspective, threads to "belong" to anyone. Nothing I've said is off the topic of chufa. One of the best things about this site is that folks who are new to habitat and wildlife management have an opportunity to see different perspectives. They can evaluate the discussion and see what best fits with their situation. There is absolutely nothing personal here from my perspective. I applauded you for this thread and I think the "how to" is a good contribution to the forum that folks will benefit from. It is ok that we have different perspectives on the "why" and "how" chufa does or doesn't contribute to a management program. There will be some folks whose situation and objectives are closer to mine and others who are closer to yours.

The idea of presenting a different perspective where I have one is intentional. As long as we are discussing pros and cons of a topic and not making personal attacks, I think it lets readers, many of whom don't post, have alternatives to consider.

Thanks,

Jack
Unfortunately I think the way you talk down to people is offputting and if anything would discourage and frustrate new readers or new posters and I'm sure that's not a first time someone has said that.

If you want to start your own post on the downside of chufa go right ahead I would appreciate if you dont take a dump on mine
Thanks

Unfortunately I think the way you talk down to people is offputting and if anything would discourage and frustrate new readers or new posters and I'm sure that's not a first time someone has said that.

If you want to start your own post on the downside of chufa go right ahead I would appreciate if you dont take a dump on mine
Thanks

I don't think I talked down to you or anyone in this thread. I can't recall using an pejoratives at all. As I said, no individual owns a thread, they just start them and post to them. If you want a controlled voice platform, try a blog. There are lots of blogs out there that espouse one viewpoint and other blogs that espouse a counter viewpoint. That is quite different than a forum where point and counterpoint are found in the same discussion thread.

While I have no animosity toward your or chufa, for that matter, when I see posts on any thread where I have a counter view and think folks could benefit from it, I'll post to it. If I'm out of line, I'm sure the moderators will warn or ban me. Until then, I intend to keep doing what I think is best. Some will be put off are easily take offense at some of my posts. Others will find them quite beneficial. Diversity is not just important in habitat, it is important in thought.

Thanks,

Jack

I don't think I talked down to you or anyone in this thread. I can't recall using an pejoratives at all. As I said, no individual owns a thread, they just start them and post to them. If you want a controlled voice platform, try a blog. There are lots of blogs out there that espouse one viewpoint and other blogs that espouse a counter viewpoint. That is quite different than a forum where point and counterpoint are found in the same discussion thread.

While I have no animosity toward your or chufa, for that matter, when I see posts on any thread where I have a counter view and think folks could benefit from it, I'll post to it. If I'm out of line, I'm sure the moderators will warn or ban me. Until then, I intend to keep doing what I think is best. Some will be put off are easily take offense at some of my posts. Others will find them quite beneficial. Diversity is not just important in habitat, it is important in thought.

Thanks,

Jack
You're right Jack, although I started this thread, it is a public forum and any member can comment. However since this thread has taken a hard turn I decided to rename it with an appropriate title.

You're right Jack, although I started this thread, it is a public forum and any member can comment. However since this thread has taken a hard turn I decided to rename it with an appropriate title.
Seems we are venturing into the personal.... but, I'm happy to roll with the punches. :emoji_laughing: ... and I'll refrain from any in-kind responses.

FOR SALE: Free

Open range land based feathered carp. You pick up. Cass County, MN.

IMG_0759.JPG

I prefer grouse and deer and ended up with turkeys and wolves. SMH. I'm glad some people have use for them. They really enjoy my open areas that look like your pictures trooper. They have really exploded in N MN the last 10 years.

Haha. Hey Buck I know they can be a pest, but try to at least thin them out a little because they do taste a lot better than carp.

20200417_195440.jpg

View attachment 39209

I prefer grouse and deer and ended up with turkeys and wolves. SMH. I'm glad some people have use for them. They really enjoy my open areas that look like your pictures trooper. They have really exploded in N MN the last 10 years.
I thought those were vultures at first haha.

Haha. Hey Buck I know they can be a pest, but try to at least thin them out a little because they do taste a lot better than carp.

View attachment 39210

Too many struggling beef producers need my assistance for me to eat bird. Not much of a bird fan. Only thing I have killed in a few years was my bear this year and a few thousand popple trees to make room for spruce trees. :emoji_grin:. I dont even eat turkey for thanksgiving.

I thought those were vultures at first haha.

They look like it some times. I often see them roosting 60-70+ feet up in some of my taller lodge pole trees on my land. They have given me an accelerated heart rate a few times. We tend to sneak up on each other.

Hard to imagine those turkeys flourishing in the cold north country and they are disappearing down here in the south. Our turkey harvest numbers have fallen 66% in the last 18 years.

Much like quail, they are essentially nonexistent in east texas

bill

View attachment 39209

I have been calling them the wrong name. I thought they were feathered rats.
I agree with you 100%.

They have expanded far beyond the range where they belong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it legal to plant chugs in Minnesota? I am battling nutsedge in two of my deer plots.
I don’t think the turkeys touch it.

Is it legal to plant chugs in Minnesota? I am battling nutsedge in two of my deer plots.

Chufa, not chugs. Damn spell check on this phone. Doesn’t know what it is doing. Kind of like fact checkers.

Chufa, not chugs. Damn spell check on this phone. Doesn’t know what it is doing. Kind of like fact checkers.

I dont know MN law so I cant speak on that. Chufa is a cultivated domestic variety of nutsedge. It's nothing at all like the weed nutsedge, go dig up a mature nutsedge plant and look at the roots youll find there's nothing really there besides some stringy roots and then compare it to chufa. I filled a quart size bag of nuts which was a pound or two off of 4 plant. I havent seen turkeys fooling with the weed nutsedge either. As far as I know with all the research and experience chufa is definitely not invasive. Comparing the weedy version to chufa would kind of be like an invasive callery pear with tiny pea size hard fruit vs a fully loaded grafted cultivar. They're both in the same family but one is bad and one is good. I hate nutsedge as much as the next guy that crap is tough

I dont know MN law so I cant speak on that. Chufa is a cultivated domestic variety of nutsedge. It's nothing at all like the weed nutsedge, go dig up a mature nutsedge plant and look at the roots youll find there's nothing really there besides some stringy roots and then compare it to chufa. I filled a quart size bag of nuts which was a pound or two off of 4 plant. I havent seen turkeys fooling with the weed nutsedge either. As far as I know with all the research and experience chufa is definitely not invasive. Comparing the weedy version to chufa would kind of be like an invasive callery pear with tiny pea size hard fruit vs a fully loaded grafted cultivar. They're both in the same family but one is bad and one is good. I hate nutsedge as much as the next guy that crap is tough

Thanks for the information.

Hard to imagine those turkeys flourishing in the cold north country and they are disappearing down here in the south. Our turkey harvest numbers have fallen 66% in the last 18 years.
They seem to do fine. I’m guessing the real bad winters get to them but those are few and far between these days.

Send any lost turkeys to Sandbur’s place. He loves them. ;)

They seem to do fine. I’m guessing the real bad winters get to them but those are few and far between these days.

Send any lost turkeys to Sandbur’s place. He loves them. ;)
I will take any and all turkeys - lost or not - as would probably every turkey hunter in the south