Christmas gift ideas

Peeps

5 year old buck +
I'm looking for some ideas for hunting, plotting, or fruit tree related Christmas gifts. The one gift exchange I'm in is for a $50 value and no gift certificates. The other is my wife looking for ideas for me. When I try to think what gifts I would like I always draw a blank so I thought I would throw it out yo you guys for some ideas. Stuff for around my cabin is also in play.

I know you said no gift certificates, but a gc from a local nursery that sells apple trees would be nice.

Steve's last book that came out this spring would be a great habitat read.

I'd love it if someone got me a 50lb. sack of oats or buckwheat, or maybe 8 lbs. of Alice / Kopu II white clover mix. A set of good hand pruners or loppers for fruit trees. 3 bags of 10-10-10. A folding, lock-blade Buck knife for cleaning deer. A good, multi-pocket fanny pack. If a tree stand hunter - a 4-pack of camo ratchet straps. If my wife got me a gift card for ordering apple, crab, or evergreen trees - I'd be mighty happy !! ( see Bur's idea above at post #3 ).

I've been REALLY good this year too. :D

I tend to stick with GC simply because I can get what I need when I need it. I get them for my local co-op, local farm retail stores, and home improvement stores. This simply gives me the flexibility I need.

Subscriptions or memberships to your favorite hunting magazine or organization can always be good - or even an "expansion" pack to your current TV package for say sporting or your favorite sports team.

I tend to always need trail cam batteries (the lithium ones can be hard to find and expensive as well) and or large capacity SD cards for cams.

New tree stand is always appreciated. Also safety lines or the like as well.

If you don't have one and have issues - a boot dryer is a great thing to have.

Any butchering or dressing equipment or supplies you may need/want......gifts are a great way to try something new - say making jerky or your own sausage or the like, or even a different spice.

Ammo is always good - you can never have too much ammo.

New archery targets are nice - the layered ones seem to get rather tattered after a couple of years of broadhead use.

What about a gambrel, hoist or game scale?

What about a specialty beer or a specific bottle of booze or wine?

Ratchet straps......I can never seem to have enough of those!

Chainsaw chains - or other chainsaw gear or maint supplies.

Just some ideas to get your mind thinking......

I just bought my son these for Christmas, great boots for a great price, with free shipping and no tax!

boots.PNG

A hooyman saw,deer scale,any number of tree or habitat books

Also some good books out there as well, both on hunting as well as habitat.

I asked for a blown up topo map of the farm! Plan to put some thin sheet metal behind it and use lil magnets for stand locations, etc..

Custom calls are always a great gift turkey, deer, etc
Trail Cam
Ammo
Rifle bipod
Safety harness
Broodheads
Tree tubes
Binoculars
Knife
Flashlight (some bad ass 1000LM flashlights on Amazon for dirt cheap)
Scrape dripper

I could go on an on:) lol

I finally broke down and bought one of these. I really don't care for one piece tree steps because they are so miserable to install and remove, but it's a breeze with one of these...
http://www.treesteptool.com/index.htm

I've been hearing great things about Retki rubber boots. Seems like most brands last about a year or 2 at the most but these are supposed to last a long time. Made in Finland (not China like most other rubber boots) but the only dealer in North America is in Canada. Mail order from here...
http://brusheys.ca/product/retki-special-boot/

I like the idea of things not made in COMMUNIST China. Military dictatorship.
Maybe we'll see a return of " Made in the U.S.A. " goods with good quality again. ^^^ (rubber boots )

I keep asking for a habitat hook but no luck yet. I even put it my wife's amazon cart. I guess I will have to ask Santa

I've got a nice Outdoor Edge skinning knife that I really like for skinning deer. The gut hook was great when the knife was new but it is hard to keep sharp. I use an electric 3 stage sharpener so it is very quick and easy to keep the blade sharp. I've tried a few sharpeners for the gut hook but they all seem to be a pain.

It suddenly dawned on my that roofing blades made for box cutters are gut hooks. No more sharpening for me. I got a pack of roofing blades and a nice box cutter for the barn where I skin deer. A very inexpensive gift that make gutting a deer a snap and the blade is always sharp! For those who field dress, it is small and the blade retracts for easy storage in a pocket or pack.

Inexpensive and useful always works well for a gift exchange.

Thanks,

Jack