Chestnuts finally!

homegrownbucks

5 year old buck +
Finally got to my farm in western wi and am excited to see we finally got some our chestnuts to produce some nuts. Probably a total of 20 nuts across 4 different trees so not too crazy but wasn’t really sure if it would happen in this zone and it’s been around 10 years I’d say all in all.E3DD6108-FB52-481C-A778-3D3228275E91.jpeg971AD878-888F-48CA-8F6F-0AFB0A827ED2.jpeg

That means I've got 7 more years to wait. Hopefully someday, someone appreciates all my work....

I'm sure that put a smile on your face. It sure would mine.

I was just looking at Chinese chestnut this weekend. One of the local NRCS offices sold them in bundles of 25 last year. If they have some again next year I'm gonna try to plant some on my land up east of Leech lake. According to the USDA zone hardiness maps I am on the border of zone 3 and 4. We get some brutal winters. Chinese chestnut are a zone 4 tree..... All I can do is try.

I sought out the most cold tolerant hybrid stock I could find. I have plants from badgerset, new forest farm and twisted tree farm, but the ones that are producing are from the first two.

I sought out the most cold tolerant hybrid stock I could find. I have plants from badgerset, new forest farm and twisted tree farm, but the ones that are producing are from the first two.
What zone are you actually in? I just planted some last year that survived their first winter in zone 4, and was pleasantly surprised.

These are in zone 4a

They grow in 4b for sure, at least the pure Chinese ones do. Took about ten years too to get them, you might see some immature nuts in the burr ... still pretty cool to see the producing this farm north. Are yours pure American or hybrids. My American and Dunstan did not do much of anything the pure Chinese are the one producing .

Congrats by the way!

I now see that you said they were hybrids ...