Canned Some MN Imitation Venison

SD51555

5 year old buck +
Finally got a weekend at home to get the canner fired up to restock the pantry. I split a quarter of beef with my dad and traded all the steaks for roasts. He thought I was crazy. He also hasn't tried my canned beef. Today's the short version just for pictures sake. If you want to see the full meat canning thread, go to: http://habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/finally-the-canning-meat-thread.1608/

I ended up with 20lbs from these roasts. I had two from the first batch that didn't seal, so I've gotta run to the store and get some taters today and get them eaten up over the next couple days. The last four are in the canner now so they won't be in the final tally. But I wanted to get some pictures up today vs tomorrow.

IMG_2448[1].JPG

IMG_2449[1].JPG

IMG_2450[1].JPG

IMG_2451[1].JPG

Is that the " secret sauce " in the blue can SD ???

That was for me, not the meat. Canning doesn't have to be boring, and nothing illustrates scale better than a beer can.

What time's dinner, you'll get all kinds of offers to help with those cans that didn't seal.

I'm sure I would! I realized last night I need to get a larger roaster pan or a backup pressure cooker. I had some different cuts of roast that I couldn't get completely de-boned. I put my bones back in the freezer for now. I would like to toss them into something to try to make a hobo stew of some sort.

I hope the canned meat is good because so far your choices in beer scare me. Blatz light and Keystone?

At least it wasn't PBR!!!:eek:

You can't go getting spoiled now. When you drink bottom shelf, nobody can take that away from you.

On a related note. I just got a batch of spicy pickled carrots and cauliflower in the fridge that should be ready for trying tomorrow night. I also threw about three pounds of baby reds into the crock pot to slow cook in salty water for a mashed potato/stroganof canned beef breakfast.

MMMMMMMMMMMM ............ spicy mixed pickle !! With some good, sharp, STANKY cheddar cheese, pretzels, venison or bear bologna. Good snackin' !!

You can't go getting spoiled now. When you drink bottom shelf, nobody can take that away from you.

Key Light has them nifty real tree camo cans in hunting season...if you buy a case and it has a blaze orange can in it you win some sort of Elmer Fudd lottery....true story. My wife amongst others often refer to me as a beer snob....but on occasion when i slum it and drink from the bottom shelf Keystone is the rotation.....makes great cannon fodder for an extended weekend at camp....I consider them "chore" beers....low enough ABV that you can still get plenty of work done while remaining "hydrated".

"When you drink bottom shelf, nobody can take that away from you. "

That's a great quote there-