Rain! Finally!

Someday isle

5 year old buck +
We’ve been very dry here in central Missouri. I planted my food plots in mid/late august. We got a little rain right away and then we’ve had virtually nothing since then. My plots have been mostly dirt. Most Everything germinated and died. A couple weeks ago we had heavy rain predicted. I figured I’d throw down 100 lbs of rye and save my plots. We got a tenth of an inch of rain at our property. What the birds didnt eat germinated and died in the heat and drought that followed. Tonight and tomorrow we have 1-2 inches of rain expected. I made one last effort today and went to the grain elevator and picked up another 100 pounds of rye grain. I drove out and spread it this morning before work - AND WE ARE GETTING THE RAIN AS FORECASTED! I Know it’s late October but our weather should allow germination and some growth before firearms season. I’ve already had a successful archery season filling an antlerless tag and taking a small buck. While our plots won’t be what they normally are I’m feeing a little better about having some winter food for the local deer. Temps in the next couple of weeks have highs in the sixties and lower seventies during the day so at least we should get some growth. Crazy year. The rain always seems to miss us or fizzles out just before it hits our property. This time it looks like we’re going to finally get something.

I hear you, across the river to the west it has been way too dry lately. We got a little, but I am guessing less than a 1/2". Better than nothing, but I am guessing by tomorrow afternoon you will be hard pressed to be able to tell it rained today.

We’ve been very dry here in central Missouri. I planted my food plots in mid/late august. We got a little rain right away and then we’ve had virtually nothing since then. My plots have been mostly dirt. Most Everything germinated and died. A couple weeks ago we had heavy rain predicted. I figured I’d throw down 100 lbs of rye and save my plots. We got a tenth of an inch of rain at our property. What the birds didnt eat germinated and died in the heat and drought that followed. Tonight and tomorrow we have 1-2 inches of rain expected. I made one last effort today and went to the grain elevator and picked up another 100 pounds of rye grain. I drove out and spread it this morning before work - AND WE ARE GETTING THE RAIN AS FORECASTED! I Know it’s late October but our weather should allow germination and some growth before firearms season. I’ve already had a successful archery season filling an antlerless tag and taking a small buck. While our plots won’t be what they normally are I’m feeing a little better about having some winter food for the local deer. Temps in the next couple of weeks have highs in the sixties and lower seventies during the day so at least we should get some growth. Crazy year. The rain always seems to miss us or fizzles out just before it hits our property. This time it looks like we’re going to finally get something.
It's just getting to St. Louis. My property is in Morgan County north of Laurie. How much have you guys gotten so far?

It's just getting to St. Louis. My property is in Morgan County north of Laurie. How much have you guys gotten so far?
I actually live in eureka so it’s not been raining here as long. It started out in Cuba where our property is about 8:45 - it’s been raining for two hours already. It looks like it might rain for the next 12 hours or so. We need it bad both out at the property and at home.

Last edited:
Darn, radar shows it’s going east of me. My rye was 3” tall back around Oct 1st. I’m hoping it was far enough along that the morning dew has let it hold on. I’ll know in a couple days.

Kids are off school Thursday and Friday so we're getting our last camping trip in for the year with some bonus bow hunting for me. I had 8lbs of pork shoulder on the smoker that I moved to the oven so I could get everything on the patio cleaned up and put away. Now the house smells like a smoker!

Wunderground.com has a useful map tool with local rain gauges. Looks like the area around my property has had about 2" so far. We needed it, and this has been a good soaker.

We ended up with just over an inch and a half. That certainly should help germinate enough seed and the weather the next couple of weeks allows it to put on some growth before it gets too cold.

Springfield, MO got over 3 inches it looks like.

Sweet sweet rain! I was more excited about this rain event than any recent snowstorms. One of my bean fields Sunday F45AA41B-0F41-43EA-8F33-0C3F971657AD.jpeg