Can you help ID these oak seedlings?

Hoytvectrix

5 year old buck +
PXL_20220526_221518017.jpg
My brother pulled some acorns for me from a tree and a residential area in northern Missouri. This is a type of red oak that produces more acorns every year than any oak I've ever seen. It might be a little too early to tell on these seedlings but if anybody has any input it would be much appreciated for what species these are.

I start a lot of oaks every year and I can't identify them when they're this young. Heck, I've got 5 year old trees that I thought were bur oaks, but now they look like whites.

I start a lot of oaks every year and I can't identify them when they're this young. Heck, I've got 5 year old trees that I thought were bur oaks, but now they look like whites.
I'm quickly realizing that. I'll just have to wait it out. Thanks for the reply.

From the description of the tree the acorns came from and the picture that looks really close to what I'm seeing on my seedlings, it looks like scarlet oak. They produce a ton of acorns and are a commonly planted residential tree.
20220407_075407.jpg

Very heavy production tree locally to me 1 hour south of KC I believe to be a Shumard very late dropping also.

Why not get your brother to photograph where he found the acorns?

At the time the leaves weren't out and he has taken a new job since then. When I'm back down in Missouri I'll get a photo and report back.

Scarlet oaks don’t shed leaves until the new ones sprout.

here is a early spring scarlet oak.

Attachments

• F013AAD0-2606-44FF-93AA-054457AB9AD0.jpeg
    F013AAD0-2606-44FF-93AA-054457AB9AD0.jpeg
    363.4 KB · Views: 10
Seedling leaves are often very different from mature leaves, and most don't provide reliable clues as to species or parentage(if a hybrid).
The close-up shots are some member of the red/black oak group, based on the spines at tips of lobes. But you already knew that. Beyond that, it's a guess.
Scarlet oak acorns typically have prominent 'concentric rings' surrounding the little 'nipple' at the tip of acorn away from the cap. Like this:

Scarlet+oak+acorn+2011.jpg

While I don’t trust it 100%, picture this has been reliable at identifying trees on my farm from their leaves, bark, and even acorns (seeds). It is saying northern red oak.

Attachments

• 0D0126DD-D81C-4C74-8445-18AD6E074F3C.png
    0D0126DD-D81C-4C74-8445-18AD6E074F3C.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 10