Call to action for Concerned MN deer hunters

This is a canned response I have gotten from 4 or 5 reps. My guess is they probably have their interns fiellying most emails.
Maybe time to pick up the telephone as well.

I have been getting the same response from some as well. What I have been doing is returning another email saying. Many Hunter's across the state of Mn, and your area don't know the Mn Dnr has already deer goal teams in place. I know because I am on the block two committee. Deer hunting brings the state of Mn 725,000,000.00 million in state revenue each year . if this does not get fixed now are YOU willing to say that YOU did nothing to fix this growing problem. If you like to contact me personally I can be reached at phone number and current address. I th n call their office as a well.

Letters Sent.

Brooks
Is there a chance you can email that map and supporting materials you received in your committer packet? I will be calling legislators tomorrow and hopefully having a productive conversation.

Brooks
Is there a chance you can email that map and supporting materials you received in your committer packet? I will be calling legislators tomorrow and hopefully having a productive conversation.

Check your box. Anybody else who wants it basecampbrooks@gmail.com

Another positive response.

"Thank you for bringing this to my attention. This sounds like something that I would support, but I would of course need to see the specific language.

Best,
Terri

Senator Terri Bonoff"

I have been getting the same response from some as well. What I have been doing is returning another email saying. Many Hunter's across the state of Mn, and your area don't know the Mn Dnr has already deer goal teams in place. I know because I am on the block two committee. Deer hunting brings the state of Mn 725,000,000.00 million in state revenue each year . if this does not get fixed now are YOU willing to say that YOU did nothing to fix this growing problem. If you like to contact me personally I can be reached at phone number and current address. I th n call their office as a well.
Do you have a source that confirms this 725M number?? Seems outlandish to me.

Not outlandish at all, if you are talking overall revenue to the states economy. Direct money to the State of MN coffers is likely much less, but that number is totally within the realm of possibility when one takes things like gas, hotels, food, ammo sales, etc. into account. A 2006 study in WI put our overall spending number for the 9 day gun season alone at 1.3 billion, and that was 9 years ago.

Yes, you have to qualify exactly to whom the money is going. Either way the state itself is not bringing in $725M. Do you have a link to the '06 study?

Edit: What I'm trying to say is the non-private sector is not bringing in $725M. I would still like to see your study.

Doesn't seem that much out of line. Think about hotel rooms,food, tags,guns, ammo, gas, 4-wheelers, tractors, seed, lime,fertilizer, leases, trailers, etc...... and times that by 500,000.

Doesn't seem that much out of line. Think about hotel rooms,food, tags,guns, ammo, gas, 4-wheelers, tractors, seed, lime,fertilizer, leases, trailers, etc...... and times that by 500,000.
Your're casting a large generalization regarding the average hunter.

It is a large report put together by the Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies. I will post the link. A pile of good info in there.

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/aboutodwc/responsive/AFWA_HuntingReport_2007.pdf

Pretty hard to argue with the numbers as reported by the actual folks who benefit from the spending, you sound like you want to shoot holes in whatever data is shown, so have at it. None of this is a perfect "science", all of it is "average spending" including guys who pay thousands in lease fees, which count towards total dollars spent on deer hunting related activities, whether you want it to count or not. Your DNR might not benefit from the total amount, but try and argue with business owners who's yearly "numbers" rely heavily on 9 days in November to pay the bills every year.

"Your're casting a large generalization regarding the average hunter."

I was showing you that it's not just tag revenue that the state is getting from hunters. Consider the money that gets spent at cabelas or any other sporting goods store. Add it up and it gets big in a hurry .

Last edited:
It is a large report put together by the Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies. I will post the link. A pile of good info in there.

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/aboutodwc/responsive/AFWA_HuntingReport_2007.pdf

Pretty hard to argue with the numbers as reported by the actual folks who benefit from the spending, you sound like you want to shoot holes in whatever data is shown, so have at it. None of this is a perfect "science", all of it is "average spending" including guys who pay thousands in lease fees, which count towards total dollars spent on deer hunting related activities, whether you want it to count or not. Your DNR might not benefit from the total amount, but try and argue with business owners who's yearly "numbers" rely heavily on 9 days in November to pay the bills every year.
I'm not trying to discredit any formal study. It is part of my job to read between the lines at times and I feel that if someone is going to state that MN is bringing in such a large amount of revenue there needs to be certain details attached.

The MN numbers are in there as well and look to be on point considering the data is now 9 years old.

"Your're casting a large generalization regarding the average hunter."

I was showing you that it's not just tag revenue that the state is getting from hunters. Consider the money that gets spent at cabelas or any other sporting goods store. Add it up and it gets big in a hurry .

And I'm saying that not everyone spends $$ on 4x4, seed, fertilizers, leases, etc... What I'm really getting at is don't "times by 500,000"

Ok then, "average it into 500,000". Then the math works fine.

Ok then, "average it into 500,000". Then the math works fine.

Not sure exactly what you're saying, but of course you can find the average $$ spent on hunting per hunter/year and multiply by the number of hunters to arrive at your revenue. No argument there. But go to the appropriate length to ensure you have the average hunter. I believe there to be a great number of yearly hunters who don't have items such as a tractor, 4x4, or an expensive lease. I get the impression you don't think I'm on your side. I believe there needs to be reform to improve the quality of hunting in MN just as much as the next guy, but I believe one should go about it correctly and that is all I'm trying to ensure.

Not sure exactly what you're saying, but of course you can find the average $$ spent on hunting per hunter/year and multiply by the number of hunters to arrive at your revenue. No argument there. But go to the appropriate length to ensure you have the average hunter. I believe there to be a great number of yearly hunters who don't have items such as a tractor, 4x4, or an expensive lease. I get the impression you don't think I'm on your side. I believe there needs to be reform to improve the quality of hunting in MN just as much as the next guy, but I believe one should go about it correctly and that is all I'm trying to ensure.
I get what you're saying and I'm sure there are numbers that are put out by sportsmans groups that we could find. What I was getting at is that $750,000,000 could very well be taken in by the state easily from the things that go into hunting.

These numbers came from the DNR/Fish and Wildlife services/ Conservation Departments of all the states. I appears you are looking for hard data that would be "impossible" for the DNR to dispute, this looks pretty bullet proof from that perspective, considering the MN DNR supplied the numbers. Then again, they dispute their own numbers with themselves and everyone else all the time,o_O:confused::rolleyes: so maybe never mind?:confused: