Cabin Questions

bowhunternw

5 year old buck +
First question is on materials, I know of several old houses that have thier days numbered. Would it be worth while to tear down an old house for free materials to use on a new small structure. I do realize that it would be a lot of work and the other thing I thought of was encountering hazardous building materials, such as asbestos and lead.

The second question is on cabin foundation, would you lean towards a pile/pier type or a floating slab type?

I don't have a lot of money to throw at the project, and have been thinking of ideas that wouldn't cost a lot. This would be a few years down the road but just getting some thoughts together.

Have you considered those pre-built modular cabins? The type they drop it off at your house. I remember thinking at the shows that they were reasonably priced for what they are. I don't think tearing down a house and rebuilding it would be worth it. If anything moving it whole house might be a better option if possible.

I've also seen people take an enclosed trailer or contractor construction shack and fix it up and make them really nice.

Pole barn/Cabin combo? Finish at your own pace?

I think tearing down an old structure for the raw materials would be tough to justify if you looked at the amount of time it would take versus the money you would save.

You could build a cheap pole shed on gravel relatively cheap, but it won't be the most comfortable. Maybe you could go that route first and park a RV or camper trailer inside it for your short term cabin and then build a nicer cabin or hunting shack once you have the cash available.

On our cabin we had the concrete floor poured on a plastic vapor lock and foam insulation and it's great. I think concrete is the way to go. If you think there's ever a chance to upgrade your building for water/sewer/electricity, you could have a plumber and electrician rough in some plumbing and electrical lines before you pour the concrete so it would be easy to add that stuff later without having to tear up concrete. That's what I did when I built my cabin and I ended up upgrading it and adding the water and sewer within a year.

I am currently debating the same thing. We are either going to do a pole barn/cabin combo with a raised floor off about 1/2 the cemented in pools for the cabin and leave gravel for floor of barn or pour a slab. Thinking cabin size around 20x24.

My buddy owns a portable sawmill so we are saving a few bucks by having him cut up a bunch of the timbers. I guess in reality - it is costing me money since I wasn't planning on building until he told me he was cutting logs for my cabin and I should plan on helping him built it in September but should be a fun project.

With old homes, I found they can be a good source for solid wood doors. They built things a lot better back then so I found it was a pain in the ass to try to pull anything else apart to try and save wood to reuse.

First question is on materials, I know of several old houses that have thier days numbered. Would it be worth while to tear down an old house for free materials to use on a new small structure. I do realize that it would be a lot of work and the other thing I thought of was encountering hazardous building materials, such as asbestos and lead.

The second question is on cabin foundation, would you lean towards a pile/pier type or a floating slab type?

I don't have a lot of money to throw at the project, and have been thinking of ideas that wouldn't cost a lot. This would be a few years down the road but just getting some thoughts together.

Depends if you have more time than money or money than time! Bang for your buck, a pole building will give you the most square footage for your money. Super simple to build and last a long time if done right. If your doing framed construction you really should have some type of a footing that the walls sit on top of. Not just a slab. If your dead set on framed construction a sub floor on posts and piers is a cheaper route than concrete footing and flatwork..

Have you considered those pre-built modular cabins? The type they drop it off at your house. I remember thinking at the shows that they were reasonably priced for what they are. I don't think tearing down a house and rebuilding it would be worth it. If anything moving it whole house might be a better option if possible.

I've also seen people take an enclosed trailer or contractor construction shack and fix it up and make them really nice.

Show me an example of these for sale in MN. I would be a buyer for one of those Amish cabins they sell in some parts of the country.....but I cannot find any in MN.

Show me an example of these for sale in MN. I would be a buyer for one of those Amish cabins they sell in some parts of the country.....but I cannot find any in MN.
Foggy, I had this pre-built cabin dropped off on my property this winter and I finished it off. It's not very big but I just wanted a small warming cabin. Well built and come in all sizes. Grandview Buildings from Litchfield/St. Joseph, MN.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 80
Foggy, I had this pre-built cabin dropped off on my property this winter and I finished it off. It's not very big but I just wanted a small warming cabin. Well built and come in all sizes. Grandview Buildings from Litchfield/St. Joseph, MN.

What do you have that resting on?

You guys gave some good ideas, I had never really thought about a pole type building and have 1/2 for living space.

What do you have that resting on?

You guys gave some good ideas, I had never really thought about a pole type building and have 1/2 for living space.
The cabin is built on 4x6 treated skids. Before the ground froze I dug in and leveled some blocks. They just slid the cabin into place. Will probably need some leveling over time but it's small enough that it won't be a problem.

Yep....that's the same brand and model I am considering for my purposes too. As you say.....I just want a place to hang out and have a little lunch where it's warm and dry.......maybe a nap. ;) So far those buildings look like my best option. I have been looking at a 14 x 28' cabin that looks much like the one you show here. Still.....gotta look at everything that is out there.....and always trying to save a buck. :D

If you don't mind me asking, how much did this cost? Looks like something I may be looking for.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did this cost? Looks like something I may be looking for.
No, I don't mind you asking. That's their 14x16 size. The 16 length includes the deck. The 14 wide is measured from the roof overhang. The base price was $5,788.00. I added extras options: insulated floor, insulated windows with an extra window, ridge vent, storm/screen door, and had it stained before delivery. That got the price up just over 7,000. If you're a skilled carpenter you could probably do better but I'm not. I'm happy with it.

Inside shot of shed/cabin or as my boys call it the shabin. 20x30 insulated cement floor. My wifes favorite feature 8 x 20 front porch.

Attachments

• DSC00121 (800x600).jpg
    DSC00121 (800x600).jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 84
Inside shot of shed/cabin or as my boys call it the shabin. 20x30 insulated cement floor. My wifes favorite feature 8 x 20 front porch.

That looks really nice, what type of building is it? You have any outside shots?

Try this Foggy: http://www.smokeyhills.com/products/grandview-buildings/

I've never seen them in person, but I came across this site for a place in Park Rapids.

DSC00330 (800x600).jpg
That looks really nice, what type of building is it? You have any outside shots?
Designed a plan with local lumber yard and a friend of mine built the shed. The only shot of the outside I could find.

View attachment 4620
Designed a plan with local lumber yard and a friend of mine built the shed. The only shot of the outside I could find.

So you did the pole shed/cabin combo. I will have to say I really like that building.