All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bud stage

aerospacefarmer

5 year old buck +
was wondering if anyone was at green too stage yet with the warm weather we have been having and more worried about the cold weather over the next few days which could cause some loss depending on how far along your trees have progressed?
I reposted the critical temp chart from U of Michigan
http://agbioresearch.msu.edu/uploads/396/36740/PictureTableofFruitFreezeDamageThresholds.pdf

Nothing swelling here yet. Lucky because we will be in the teens for the next three nights. Hopeful that will slow everything down because we still have a long ways to go before the threat of a hard freeze is gone.

Been cooling off in my neck of the woods which should help slow things down. Had snow flakes early this morning :D

My pears just broke to green, but none of the apples.

Based on the chart you should be fine Dan

Don't know if you're back yet, Aero - but the big snow they were talking about is not going to happen, the way it sounds. Low pressure too far off shore to make big snow. Maybe get a coating to an inch or so. Temps are cooler - it was down to around 20 in the Poconos last night. Highs in the mid-40's in S.E. Pa. for the next 2 days, then a moderation back to the upper 50's - low 60's . Buds are just starting to swell here in S.E. Pa. - you should be OK yet.

Don't know if you're back yet, Aero - but the big snow they were talking about is not going to happen, the way it sounds. Low pressure too far off shore to make big snow. Maybe get a coating to an inch or so. Temps are cooler - it was down to around 20 in the Poconos last night. Highs in the mid-40's in S.E. Pa. for the next 2 days, then a moderation back to the upper 50's - low 60's . Buds are just starting to swell here in S.E. Pa. - you should be OK yet.
Thanks for the update. I agree then I should be no more than green tip if that based on where your trees are. I had my dog sitter check my grafts today and it looks like the grafts are doing ok. I fly back tomorrow

Thursday we had an intense thunderstorm, but only for 5 minutes, then we had a snow storm right behind it that laid down an inch of snow! Nuts! Most varieties at bud swell, Macs, Ida Red, Honey Gold and Zestar! maybe starting to show some silver.

Maya - We had the same front go thru here Thursday. Big wind, lightning, and dime to penny-sized hail for about 5 to 10 minutes. Then a big cool-down and sun came out. No snow like you had. We had 79 degrees Tuesday.

Warmest we've had is the upper 60's. I guess I lied, still pretty tight out there.

DSCN2996.JPG