Broadcasting soybeans into standing weed bed

Yarg

5 year old buck +
Has anyone tried this. If I am unable to have access to the county drill and have no tillage equipment I was thinking this may work, with the right forecast. The plan is when the weeds are 6 to 7 inches high and there is three or four days of rain and the forecast consecutively simply broadcast the soybeans by hand into standing weeds and then do gly-burn down (the soils are excellent loamy soils) thanks for any input

I've done this with grocery store beans (pinto, black eyed peas, etc...). It worked very well with a lot of plants sprouting and growing to 4-6inches, then the deer mowed them down. I sprayed gly a couple of weeks before broadcasting and was fortunate to have good rains.

Maybe you have a shot with good soils, but with my soil it would be a bust. Beans want to be under soil. I've heard of folks broadcasting them into light tillage and then dragging something over them having moderate success. Good rain will certainly help as it sprays soil on to the beans.

Thanks,

Jack

I think you would increase you chances of you could roll them somehow to at least get seed to soil contact. I have seen beans sprout sitting on top of the soil with good contact on the bottom of the seed, but not covered with soil.

I think you would increase you chances of you could roll them somehow to at least get seed to soil contact. I have seen beans sprout sitting on top of the soil with good contact on the bottom of the seed, but not covered with soil.

If I decided to roll after I spray will that affect the effectiveness of the Glyphosphate.. I know It Up takes better when the plant is growing and undisturbed

If I decided to roll after I spray will that affect the effectiveness of the Glyphosphate.. I know It Up takes better when the plant is growing and undisturbed
I rolled and then sprayed gly right after that on green oats last year and got a great burn down on the oats and the weeds that were in the oats. I would roll then spray.

I've done this and had decent results, I did a sorghum mix but it had soys in it. I had a grass plot that I broadcast the sorghum mix into it and rolled and sprayed it in one pass. I didn't plan on the soys making it to produce pods but some actually did.

What it looked like before.

2T5K6r5.jpg

After rolling and spraying.

8cPd1IA.jpg

I threw a cam up to catch what was happening and it was used pretty good.

5g6UWzm.jpg

H9XVpbW.jpg

You can see some soys down in there.

B2uAORB.jpg

Vkl2iHW.jpg

I wouldn't hesitate to do it. Don't expect it to look like nice and weed free but it will work and they like it. Good luck!

It really depends on the weeds. The real issue is coverage. In some conditions you can cultipack first and then spray and still get good coverage. If the weeds are too thick, some weeds can protect others from getting exposed to gly by covering them. If you are concerned, simply spray first. Wait till the next day (or several hours at least for everything to dry) and then broadcast your seed and cultipack.

Thanks,

Jack