Brassicas and clover planted together

FWIW.....the clover pictured in my posts above were all a result of last years seed efforts. I have not put a seed in the ground this year. The last seed I planted was in late August when I planted Winter Rye and a few clovers. Seems I am forever putting down clover......and now I plan to switch to some lower cost clovers.....and perhaps seed it a bit lighter. Having said that.....it's the cheapest nitrogen I could buy.......and my deer love it.

Not sure of your USDA growing zone......but that can make a huge difference in clover seed choices and the associated expense. I have done well with Ladino clover varieties and medium red clover. Now I am trying some Crimson Clover in hopes that it will over-winter here in MN. I have my doubts.....but it is worth a shot at 1/2 price. Medium red has become a staple for me. Lasts long enough....and provides the nitrogen I need for my "cash crops" (brassicas).
We plant our clovers around Labor Day here. Camp is at zone 6 & 5 border, on an old mountain top farm that was started back in the late 1800's. Our usual clover choices have been Ladino, Jumbo Ladino, Alice white, medium red, and 2 named varieties of red clover - Starfire and Persist (both of which have lasted about 3 to 4 years for us). We've planted crimson clover too, but it didn't over-winter at our location. Crimson is an annual for us and is best planted in early May here. It grows fine until frosts and winter cold knock it down. We usually plant the Starfire red clover with alfalfa to make a good combo plot - plant it around Labor Day - and the following spring / summer, it goes into high gear.

Our other clover plots are planted with a nurse crop of WR or oats, and a bit of chicory, generally.

I am still in the" getting on and off the tractor, checking the seed box" phase during planting

I do plan to calibrate next time and trust the process

bill

We plant our clovers around Labor Day here. Camp is at zone 6 & 5 border, on an old mountain top farm that was started back in the late 1800's. Our usual clover choices have been Ladino, Jumbo Ladino, Alice white, medium red, and 2 named varieties of red clover - Starfire and Persist (both of which have lasted about 3 to 4 years for us). We've planted crimson clover too, but it didn't over-winter at our location. Crimson is an annual for us and is best planted in early May here. It grows fine until frosts and winter cold knock it down. We usually plant the Starfire red clover with alfalfa to make a good combo plot - plant it around Labor Day - and the following spring / summer, it goes into high gear.

Our other clover plots are planted with a nurse crop of WR or oats, and a bit of chicory, generally.
I've had really good luck with the Alice white clover from Welters. Tho I see it's really just a variety of Ladino clover....which has also grown well here. This year I added a little chickory as it could help in both a drought and as a late season attraction. Medium Red clover and Alice are top shelf stuff in my growing zone. Time will tell on others.

I am still in the" getting on and off the tractor, checking the seed box" phase during planting

I do plan to calibrate next time and trust the process

bill
Man.....I do allot of that "on and off' ordeal too until I get a rate dialed in. The calibration efforts usually work pretty well......but the proof is really getting an acre or two planted with the seeds in the box. As time goes on.......you get some trust in your judgement and the drill.

I do have many more variables to consider on the Great Plains vs my old Tar River Saya (gear Box speed choices & seed cup sizes) tho those seem straight forward.