Best rifle for. 9 yo youth

Let us know what you decided for your grandson’s deer hunt. Given he has been shooting for years (and the 410 has prepared him for the “bang” factor), I am sure he and grandpa will do great!

He will be here in a couple weeks, for a couple weeks. I am planning on taking him to the gun store and have him shoot a .243, and size him for youth, or adult gun. If he handles it, it would be my option, if not, I will have him shoot other rounds as well.

He will be here in a couple weeks, for a couple weeks. I am planning on taking him to the gun store and have him shoot a .243, and size him for youth, or adult gun. If he handles it, it would be my option, if not, I will have him shoot other rounds as well.
Thanks for the update. The .243 is hard to beat in so many ways. So few children had grandparents that teach these type of life skills. He is blessed to have you introducing him to shooting and hunting.

.243 can be with him all his life as a good varmit gun. If ruger still makes it, the american has yotuh to adult pads built into the stock.

I'd get him a more adult gun. Youth guns can be too light. Light means more recoil. .223 bolt action isn't to horrible either. If you need to lower recoil, you get some lead and put it into the stock crevices. Even 1 extra lb makes a very noticeable difference. Can take a bag of fishing weights and stuff it into the open area of the buttstock.

I have done offhand shooting competitions and added lead to several guns. More for balance than recoil.

Watch for sock hieght and length as well. I give my wife very common guns, so I can get a snd stock and remove some comb and stock length. The market is start to cater towards smaller ladies with 13" length of pulls and lowering that comb.

If it's legal, and you have access, consider something suppressed. It'll help with the recoil and the noise, which lets you use a larger caliber.

.243 is a great choice. I started my daughter out with a .223 and a good bullet (Barnes). She graduated to a .243 in a year or two and now shoots a 6.5 Creedmoor. With young/small shooters it is all about muzzle blast and recoil. If they are at all afraid of it their accuracy will suffer and they won't want to shoot. Start with something they enjoy shooting and use premium bullets and you will always be fine.

Whatever you get (I say 223) be sure and suppress it. The decrease In sound and recoil will make all the difference for the kids enjoyment.

No kids here, but I have a buddy who started 3 kids on whitetails with a .257 Roberts, and another that used a .44 mag on his 2. All 5 are good little hunters today.

My nephew started out on a 30-06 at 10. Used the managed recoil rounds and killed tons of deer. He’s using the same rifle today with regular loads.

All the dads swear by their decisions for a bunch of reasons, but the main one is recoil.

More I think about it a 6.5 creedmoore would be nice, especially if suppressed. Could use his whole life, prob for pigs and coyote later.

My kids all shoot adult sized rifles just fine benchrest and tripod only but even when they were down to 5 and 6 they have had no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just my 2 cents....if you are thinking .243 don't get one with a synthetic stock !. I had a Stevens Model 200 in .243 and that joker seemed to kick more than my wood stock . 308, so I sold it . I believe a .243 in a solid wood stock would be a better choice. Something like a Savage Axis ll hardwood or a Henry Single shot .243. Can't hurt to keep it simple for a new shooter....with a single shot or bolt action. You may want to also consider a .350 Legend or .30 30

Did a deep dive on ballistics of 6.5 creedmoor last night. What I learned is that it was designed in the 2000’s to have better ballistics than 308 and 30 06 with much less recoil. It is made to allow for more accuracy, especially on longer shots.

It has 30% less recoil than 308, and 70% less than 30/06.

It has less drop than both, and less wind movement than both.

The ammo was made more aerodynamic by being long and thin. It also has higher density than the other two and a super high BC.

TLDR: shoots great, perfect for deer sized game and smaller, low recoil for kid shooters.

6.5 creedmoor is a fine round I have a couple of them and like them very well. I wouldn’t sell or trade any other high power rifle cartridge just to get a 6.5 unless you’re simply tired of that particular gun and want something different. If simply buying a new rifle it is a good caliber popular enough that it will likely have a very long production life for factory ammunition. I also have a 300PRC it’s big brother cartridge. I like it very well also but question how long it will remain in favor with manufacturers so I bought 200 Lapua brass for it which should get me to the end of that barrels useful life. Many calibers are basically flavors of the month and fall out of favor rather quickly in the firearms industry making getting ammo difficult after they fall out of favor. I do not believe that will be the case with the 6.5 Creedmoor it is way to popular a cartridge and will likely have a long service life.

Did a deep dive on ballistics of 6.5 creedmoor last night. What I learned is that it was designed in the 2000’s to have better ballistics than 308 and 30 06 with much less recoil. It is made to allow for more accuracy, especially on longer shots.

It has 30% less recoil than 308, and 70% less than 30/06.

It has less drop than both, and less wind movement than both.

The ammo was made more aerodynamic by being long and thin. It also has higher density than the other two and a super high BC.

TLDR: shoots great, perfect for deer sized game and smaller, low recoil for kid shooters.
Check out the bergara b-14 ridge SP. It's a short barrel model, and it's threaded in 6.5 Creedmoor and 308. It's a joy to shoot, especially suppressed. If my daughters ever decide to rifle shoot/deer hunt, it's what they'll use.

6.5 creed is cool for factory ammo and such, but for deer and down for someone who isn’t going to be burning through 1000s of rounds and barrels, 6 creed is more attractive to me. Faster, flatter, less recoil, and depending on bullet choice it can do just as well in the wind. Basically an improved 243.

I will be taking my 9yo grandchild deer hunting this year. What is a decent rifle for him to hunt with? He weighs about 60 pounds, so small framed. He has been shooting .410 and .22 for years.

Should I get him a .243? That is what I started my son on, but he was bigger.
243 iIS WHAT I STARTED MY TWO GRANDSONS OUT FOR DEER.

Perhaps I see things differently.

A slow heavy bullet to prevent ricocheting .

A single shot 4 safety.

357, 44 mag , .308 blackout?

Perhaps I see things differently.

A slow heavy bullet to prevent ricocheting .

A single shot 4 safety.

357, 44 mag , .308 blackout?
Not a bad thought. a .308 was a consideration. But ricocheting isnt really a problem where I hunt. I am in the middle of a forest. Closest neighbor a mile through trees, and hills.
I like a bolt action. It is basically a single shot, with the option to mechanically install another round, rather then fishing for another round in your pocket to reload. To be honest, his furthest shot would be 60 yards, if he chose to shoot to the far end. I know a 20ga would work, and I have a remington pump, I will be having him shoot slugs from.

^ As I was reading this thread.....and after seeing the youngster in the pics above.....I kept coming back to a 357 Remington for a youngster. Very low recoil and fun and cheap to shoot......especially with practice 38 special rounds. (Use good bullets / loads for deer). Good for practice and good for deer is you keep your shots at 100 yards or less. I saw a 44 Mag mentioned too.....but the recoil level goes up quite a bit IME.

When used in a rifle, these pistol cartridges are lots more potent than in a revolver. I've become a fan......and accumulated a few Marlin Mountie models. Very Compact, Easy to carry, relatively safe and quite manageable for a kid. Fun to shoot......especially at steel targets. Not the accuracy of the Creedmore.....but kids likely don't shoot tight groups at age 9......and that is not needed for a deer rifle at stated ranges. Keeping a 4" group at these short ranges should do the trick.

I call my lever action Marlin's "Cowboy Assault Rifles". (they are also good for home defense).