Best quality two way radio for areas with poor cell service and some minor topography.

We use Rugged Radios for desert racing.

For the same radio at a better price we also use Baufeng radios. Ruggeds are just rebranded Baofengs with some additional programming.

Look for the 8 watt models. For a mobile unit they offer up to 100 watts. Totally illegal, but who cares.

These are fully programmable using CHIRP open source software. They also make repeaters. You can have your own code guards etc to keep your discussions discrete.
The HAM nerds are gonna write you a strongly worded retort!

West-fork might be worried about the Ham radio posse but I’m guessing no. He speaks truth the rest of us dance around in these threads✌️

You guys are crazy. Haha.

If I had $50 for every over power channel I programmed into old Moto radios for dog runners - I’d have exactly as much money as I do now.

Yes, you can do this, requires some tech and the a carefree attitude. Just don’t use popular channels. The Hams literally find those overpower channels for fun.

You guys are crazy. Haha.

If I had $50 for every over power channel I programmed into old Moto radios for dog runners - I’d have exactly as much money as I do now.

Yes, you can do this, requires some tech and the a carefree attitude. Just don’t use popular channels. The Hams literally find those overpower channels for fun.
Sadly we use them for county search and rescue too; we have no budget to work with. We have real radios too, but I am sure you know what happens when you hand a super excited volunteer a radio.....

We use Rugged Radios for desert racing.

For the same radio at a better price we also use Baufeng radios. Ruggeds are just rebranded Baofengs with some additional programming.

Look for the 8 watt models. For a mobile unit they offer up to 100 watts. Totally illegal, but who cares.

These are fully programmable using CHIRP open source software. They also make repeaters. You can have your own code guards etc to keep your discussions discrete.
^ THIS is what I hear the Jeep off-road crowd recommend down in AZ. I have a CB....but the serious off roaders are now using the Baufeng GRMS radios I am told. I may buy a couple of hand held's to stay in the Jeep when I go to "OZ" this winter. Fun! Also nice for spotter / driver communication at some obstacles.

Last edited:
My son works for a company that does disaster recovery. He built some kits with handheld radios to send out with teams. He used Retevis.