Best Hard Shell Blind?

Check out Snap-lock blinds made by Formex! I have four of them! They are priced right, easy to assemble and built sturdy! They are double walled.

Dennis,
Thanks. I did a search. It seems all of their windows are horizontal. I will use this for archery hunting. Do you know if verticle windows are an option? Thanks.

I never thought about you using it for bow hunting. I don't think they have a model with vertical windows yet. I had an accident years ago and i use a crossbow now so it not an issue for me. Might be worth calling them though as they may be in the process of coming up with the option. They are a great stand and very affordable! So easy to assemble. you do need to build a platform for them if your going up off the ground.

I think 6x6 is the min to shoot a bow out of and then you have to look at height

Thanks Dennis.

found hughs blind also,looks affordable but sure not a redneck

Buck,
Thanks! Those look interesting.

I bought a Banks blind ten years ago. It’s ok but the windows are plastic and hazy now and the small door no longer fits correctly.

My wife bought a shadow hunter 5x5 octagon last year. It is not up in the air yet. We used it on the ground last gun season. My son shot his first doe out of it. I don't know if its the best, but so far I'm really impressed. It seem really well built,nice windows. It was about 1/2 the price of a Redneck. One of my friends bought 2 of the Muddys. He said he really likes them.1102181005_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• 1102181004.jpg
    1102181004.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 46
  • 1103181128_HDR.jpg
    1103181128_HDR.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 42
i hunt with wood workers.They make a 6 sided, custom blind with double paned windows and we foam the seams inside. I've killed deer that approached from directly down wind.

But beware, you can give yourself a CO2 headache breathing the same air all day with the windows closed.

Whatever you do, go hinged windows. Sliding windows will be noisy at the most inopportune times.

That shadow hunter looks nice,I like the black windows as I really think this make a big difference.In fact I am going to blacken the windows even on my gillie blinds.My wife got me a redneck for christmas and it is really sweet.

Any suggestions for platform height? I have a similar situation, where I will be putting a hard shell blind along an edge of a field. The blind will blend in with the surrounding brush if I have it at, or near, ground level. I could also elevate to 8'-10' to help with scent control, but the blind would be a lot more visible. This blind will be used for bow hunting only.

I would sure like a RedNeck blind in the back corner of my woods!

Any suggestions for platform height? I have a similar situation, where I will be putting a hard shell blind along an edge of a field. The blind will blend in with the surrounding brush if I have it at, or near, ground level. I could also elevate to 8'-10' to help with scent control, but the blind would be a lot more visible. This blind will be used for bow hunting only.

Depends on the lay of the land, but mine are 8'

if its not a financial deal breaker, 10 or 12' is probably better.
Some deer may be skiddish, but not enough to avoid the food in the field. Especially if you have it up during the off season and they have time to get used to it.

Glad people like their Shadow Hunters, I don't have their blind but bought window kits off of them. I don't care for them one bit, and that is the bread and butter of a good blind. They are not airtight, quiet, or bug proof. I would not buy their blind due to the windows alone. Honestly, I won't buy any blind because the ones we build are better than anything I've seen commercially. I'd buy a redneck if I was buying a blind without regard to price.

If you have windows from some place else you might want to look at how redneck latches theirs,you could do on the others.Rednecks wouldn't seal if they didn't use these little latches.I bought some windows from the original deer blind window Co.

I have seen these in pastures in my work travels, could be an affordable blind option, would have to make windows though.

http://www.hayhuts.com/

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

I am not nearly as handy as most on here nor do I have the time to build something myself. With those caveats in mind I will say that if you can save up the money for a Redneck I would highly recommend doing so. I had two in my last farm and will be putting up 3 this year on my new farm. They are definitely a game changer for inclement weather and slight imperfect or changing winds. I don’t like bow hunting out of them nearly as well as a stand but you can get it used to it. There’s a learning curve on the sensory deprivation you experience in a blind too...not being able to hear, particularly if you’re in the woods or an area where you might be able to hear deer approaching is a very frustrating thing. I generally leave at least one window open and also mount my ozonics over the window. I have been using using in the tree (and ozone at camp, like Bill) and I believe in both applications. I had two homemade blinds on my previous land and they were a maintenance nightmare and I could keep the bugs and critters out. In 2-3 years o never had an issue with pests in my redneck. I am trying to do the buy once, cry once as much as possible.

Glad people like their Shadow Hunters, I don't have their blind but bought window kits off of them. I don't care for them one bit, and that is the bread and butter of a good blind. They are not airtight, quiet, or bug proof. I would not buy their blind due to the windows alone. Honestly, I won't buy any blind because the ones we build are better than anything I've seen commercially. I'd buy a redneck if I was buying a blind without regard to price.

It is always interesting to hear what other people are looking for in a shooting house. I agree the window is probably the backbone of a good blind. I had the shadow hunter windows in our first house we built in 2009 pictured below. They aren't airtight but it did allow just enough air to flow so that the windows didn't fog with a heater on. This house is in a perfect location and the deer usually couldn't get our wind due to a pond behind it. They did a very good job but needed to be replaced this last year. I tried http://deerviewwindows.com and they are nice but are single pane windows and fog with a heater. I love this house and spend almost 2 weeks straight sitting in it during deer season. This spot consistently produces opportunities at the biggest deer in out area. I am buying double pane windows which should solve the fogging issue with a heater. My buddy owns a window company and put them in his and it solved the fogging with a heater.

We have rednecks also and those windows are a pain in cold weather, they fog like no tomorrow. They are nice and fill a niche in some of our spots and would be perfect if we could get around the window fogging. In mild temps they would be perfect. They are absolutely scent proof with the windows closed in my experience. In really cold weather the windows fog even without a heater. They are nice blinds but aren't perfect. Perfect really depends on your needs I guess. Lots of nice blinds/houses out there, which is right for you depends on a bunch of factors. I am right there with SWAT as to what works best for us. After 17 shooting houses on 4 properties over the last 10 years we have settled on a 5x6 house we build that has double pane windows as being close to perfect for our hunting. These houses are geared around sitting all day in cold weather during gun season and muzzleloader.