Best deer pics since owning this farm

Great pics, that is cool.

What in the world are those little yellow things?

Now that is a hoss of a buck!

Gets me excited :emoji_clap::emoji_clap::emoji_clap:

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.
hedge apples the fruit of osage orange trees.

I thought it was that bruiser buck getting his rocks off!

That is what you are focused on? :emoji_thinking::emoji_fearful:

hey the first time I saw those little green brain looking things I thought WTF.
Then a friend said put them around the house they keep spiders away.
Wrong! They just rot and stink. And the spiders walk over them. :)

I just hope the next time one of those "deer don't use native grass" threads come up that you post those picture.....:emoji_laughing:

hey the first time I saw those little green brain looking things I thought WTF.
Then a friend said put them around the house they keep spiders away.
Wrong! They just rot and stink. And the spiders walk over them. :)

You ought to be in the woods hunting when they are dropping. Sounds like bowling balls falling out of the tree. Scares the crap out of you!

I've heard them called;

Osage Oranges
Hedge Apples
Monkey Balls

Tree makes outstanding firewood but is hard on a good chain...decent log will burn hot all night.

I've heard them called;

Osage Oranges
Hedge Apples
Monkey Balls

Tree makes outstanding firewood but is hard on a good chain...decent log will burn hot all night.

At a place I work in South Central Tennessee they call them Bodocks.

My deer crashed in a burger king ball-pit of those things. On second thought, did he even have a bullet hole?? I think he just wiped out on hedge apples and smacked his head. We have quite a few of those trees.

part0(8).jpg

Osage wood is beautiful and extremely hard. The tree is covered by thorns that have caused plenty of my blood to be shed. I kill them if they are small or in the wrong spots.

A veteran that used to turkey hunt my place took a chunk of an osage limb I cut and made me a great sounding box call. It has brought many toms to their demise.

At a place I work in South Central Tennessee they call them Bodocks.

Yep, I've heard duck call makers from cajun country call the wood that too.

Osage wood is beautiful and extremely hard. The tree is covered by thorns that have caused plenty of my blood to be shed. I kill them if they are small or in the wrong spots.

A veteran that used to turkey hunt my place took a chunk of an osage limb I cut and made me a great sounding box call. It has brought many toms to their demise.

A friend of mine made a few duck and goose calls for me years ago out of a used osage fence post off our farm that my Dad said was over a hundred years old.
JFAex2k.jpg

So if I'm watching this from the stand, when do I shoot? before or after the buck does:-) ?