Battery operated heater?

hunts_with_stick

5 year old buck +
Does anyone heat their place with a non-plug in heater? I have a shed that i use for when I hunt or take the kids to sleep in. No electric. Looking to take a few days off next week to hunt. Temps in the high 20s. I'd like to find a way to heat it when sleeping and especially in the morning when I am getting ready.

We use one of these to heat a 12x20 insulated shack. Keeps the place warm even when temps are in single digits. Doesn't instantly heat it up however. We leave it on low while hunting so when we get back, the place is warm. At night, we leave it on a lower setting depending on temp, keeps the place warm. We go through a couple of 20 lb tanks of propane per year hunting weekends etc. Aside from some challenges getting it started once in a while, very happy with it and makes our shack very pleasant.

Definitely propane. Battery power is just not suitable to heating.

Electric heat has a high draw electrical KW requirement. Propane a better option.

Why not put in a small wall tent wood stove? Just spent 8 days in Northern Alberta in a wall tent with temps in mid teens at night.
Wood Burning Tent Stove

You mentioned shed. Adding a woodstove reduce your useable space. Those propane wall heaters are nice, but they're direct vent. They will use up your oxygen and they will add tons of moisture to the air from the combustion. Any cold surface will condensate. At my clubs camp in the winter, sometimes the floor gets a coating of ice. The walls and ceiling are insulated, but not the floor.

If your floor is not insulated, consider doing so.

I don't use the hunting clubs cabin. I sleep in a enclosed trailer that has the walls and ceiling insulated. I didn't insulate the floor. However, I put down 2 layers of carpet and foam wood floor underlayment beneath it.

When I did use the hunt club cabin for snowmobiling, I would bring 4x6 rug. I'd put my chair over it, so my feet and legs didn't get cold.

I have this in my 6x12 trailer.

I got lucky and found one uninstalled in the box for $500, otherwise they're $1200. I need a small fan for high setting, but uses a 1/4 amp at 12vdc.

Find out how much heat you need. Bring a generator and 2 or 3 electric heaters. A 1500 watt heater is bout 5000 btu. Keep in mind the fan produces more even heat.

I suggest this heater.

Used one for 2 years in a winter seasonal cabin rental. Think it was the 15k but unit, had the optional heater. Was a 3 inch thick wood log cabin with insulated roof and single pane windows. Had some cold nights there, when it was negative -10 or worse. The optional blower is 120vac. PRetty sure you can find an small 12v blower to put in it. They were more of a generic blower put in there. 15k is about 3 electric space heaters.

IF insulation is an issue, try insulating the ceiling only. You can use a larger sized 12v computer fan to circulate the hot air down to the floor. A tube of caulk or a can of spray foam can make day or night differences in air leakage in some cabins.

In a pinch, I have a 25 watt 12v heated blanket. Walmart has them for $25 or so. Done several unheated 20 deg F nights in the trailer before the heater came by.

If going the driect vent approach, add 2 air vents. I'd put one behind or right under the stove to let the cold air in. Then you need to let air out too. Put a vent up high, but maybe a foot shy from the top. This way you use thermal convection to get air in and out, but don't relase the hottest air.

Do propane heaters need to be vented? (mr buddy for example?) and vented, does that mean opening the window a crack

and right about putting in a wood stove, would use up too much space.

Are the propane wall heaters easy to install? Shed is not insulated as well.

Do propane heaters need to be vented? (mr buddy for example?) and vented, does that mean opening the window a crack

yes, they produce CO2 when burning propoane.

Wall heaters are easy to install, mount to wall and connect pipe to heater. Typically use low pressure 11" water pressure regulators, much like gas scooking toves and bbq grills. You will need a flaring tool. Believe they usually use 3/8" line, but it could be 1/2" copper.

Found a source that says an uninsulated shed needs about 50 btu per square foot. a 12x16 shed needs 9600 btu. Thats to stay warm, getting there will take awhile, unless you got a bit bigger unit. Your low setting should be 1/2 of that, or you need to crack the windows even more.

Propane is 98000 btu's / gallon. 20lb tank holds 4.6 gallons. A direct vent wall heater is close to 100% efficient. Those vented units that don't use much if any elelctrcity are about 65% effiicient.

30k btu unit wall heater uses about a gallon every 3.3 hours, so its about a 15 hour run on a tank. 65% efficient 30k vented heater uses 46k btu/hr. Think that's the size of the one in my clubs 20x24 cabin. On a cold night, I put that on low, and have the woodstove on buring 10 deg F nights.

Consider a propane / carbon monoxide detector in there. A 12V model on ebay goes for about $60-70 bucks. Can use the same car battery to power a few 12V RV lights too.

I use a smaller propane heaters in my blind. 150 cubic feet stays comfortable on low in 0 degree weather. Heating it to “comfortable” takes about 30 minutes, and during that time you will experience frosted windows and condensation. The ABS plastic “Booner Blind” by Maverick has adequate ventilation without opening a window, as it is not close to air tight, but does keep the rain off. The heaters have CO protection, which is a nice safety feature. I have also a Buddy heater in our Dutchman 18’ camper, which has an electric fireplace for heat. This Buddy will keep it warm all night in the teens—I have not tried it in lower terms. I get about 6 hours per tank on low with the single tank heater and 10 hours on low with the two tank heater.

As other have noted, propane is the way to go. BTW, I refill the 1 gallon tanks from my 20, and always have a spare in the blind.

Here is a picture of the blind heater and the blind.

1698240311847.jpeg

IMG_0443.jpeg

Remember, CO2 is heavier than oxygen so venting needs to be at base of shed/blind.

Reactions: 356
So it is a shed with windows. I assume if I hang the mr buddy heater and crack a window, I should be OK. The mr buddy heaters are rated for indoor safe with a co2 detector. I will buy an extra detector as well

So it is a shed with windows. I assume if I hang the mr buddy heater and crack a window, I should be OK. The mr buddy heaters are rated for indoor safe with a co2 detector. I will buy an extra detector as well

I did this for two seasons in a semi-insulated shed cabin. Crack a window. Be ready for a lot of condensation. I ran two CO monitors and they never registered a bit. My windows were covered in ice every morning.

edited for grammar (darn autocorrect)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Remember, CO2 is heavier than oxygen so venting needs to be at base of shed/blind.
If you have a Boomer Blind by Maverick, that is taken care of by the natural effects of one season of hot/cold cycles on the door and edge gaps. They are OK hard-blinds for the price (and I like the windows), but definitely not to the quality of most home builds, "Banks" or "Redneck" blinds.

If you have a Boomer Blind by Maverick, that is taken care of by the natural effects of one season of hot/cold cycles on the door and edge gaps. They are OK hard-blinds for the price (and I like the windows), but definitely not to the quality of most home builds, "Banks" or "Redneck" blinds.
Door warp on the two I used to have made me insane every time I sat in one.

Keep it simple
Agree with others, crack a window and use a Mr Buddy.
If you want to keep yourself and kids warm at night and don’t want the worry of the propane heater buy a few army arctic sleeping bags at a surplus store or gun show. With one of those with the snap on cover you could sleep outdoors in winter, they really work.

Door warp on the two I used to have made me insane every time I sat in one.

Just add window turn button latches at the top and base.

Window clip

Last edited:
Keep it simple
Agree with others, crack a window and use a Mr Buddy.
If you want to keep yourself and kids warm at night and don’t want the worry of the propane heater buy a few army arctic sleeping bags at a surplus store or gun show. With one of those with the snap on cover you could sleep outdoors in winter, they really work.
You know that 5x7 cheap fleece blanket your grandma bought you for xmas, the one with the buck on it? Take one of those in the stand with you, throw it over your legs, you'll be amazed at the difference it makes.

We use old surplus Army wool blankets. $5 or something like that. Game changer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk