Propane heater

hunts_with_stick

5 year old buck +
So I just picked up a double Mr buddy heater that came with a hose to connect to a larger propane tank. How can I put a connection in my little cabin/shed to a tank outside? I was gong to pick up black pipe from Home Depot, but the guy working there said the black pipe the sell doesn’t work with propane? I just want to be able to connect the heater to something inside while keeping the tank outside. Obviously I will have a shut off valve as well. I’ll likely use a 20lb tank but maybe get a slightly bigger one. I’d like to potentially use it for a small camping stove or something like that as well.

Always used 3/8 copper tubing with brass flared fittings on hunting and ice fishing shacks. Think it was type L but anyway bends and flares a bit easier than the really thick wall stuff. For burying underground they use the thicker wall stuff.

My 1000 gal propane tank at home was installed with copper tubing buried from tank to the regulator on the side of my house. Down in the basement on the low pressure side looks like black pipe.

For what it's worth, my free input!

My son works for propane company, when I discussed installing a line from outside blind to inside deer blind. He said to run copper line with a shut off inside blind. Said rubber hose will deteriorate over time if left to the elements. Also chance a critter could chew on it.

So I just picked up a double Mr buddy heater that came with a hose to connect to a larger propane tank. How can I put a connection in my little cabin/shed to a tank outside? I was gong to pick up black pipe from Home Depot, but the guy working there said the black pipe the sell doesn’t work with propane? I just want to be able to connect the heater to something inside while keeping the tank outside. Obviously I will have a shut off valve as well. I’ll likely use a 20lb tank but maybe get a slightly bigger one. I’d like to potentially use it for a small camping stove or something like that as well.

You use enough gas in a year it would be worth installing an actual tank and a little installation?

I have gas coming into my cabin in four places and have never regretted any of it.

Furnace
Griddle
Fridge
Garage heater/single burner stove

Hard telling what it would cost nowadays, but a 250 gallon tank and some installation may be had for $500-$1000 all in and you’re set. I use around 170 gallons per year. If I knew then I’d be closer, I’d have gotten a 500 gallon tank. I’m also really far north and spend a lot of time there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You use enough gas in a year it would be worth installing an actual tank and a little installation?

I have gas coming into my cabin in four places and have never regretted any of it.

Furnace
Griddle
Fridge
Garage heater/single burner stove

Hard telling what it would cost nowadays, but a 250 gallon tank and some installation may be had for $500-$1000 all in and you’re set. I use around 170 gallons per year. If I knew then I’d be closer, I’d have gotten a 500 gallon tank. I’m also really far north and spend a lot of time there.

Did you install yourself?

And no imay not use enough, but then again, I may?

My son works for propane company, when I discussed installing a line from outside blind to inside deer blind. He said to run copper line with a shut off inside blind. Said rubber hose will deteriorate over time if left to the elements. Also chance a critter could chew on it.
Likely good advice. I use rubber hoses with heaters in our box blinds and keep the tank on the outside. I do have three blinds that we have left the hose on all year long. Likely a bad idea......and I may need to rethink that plan. So far it's been good.....but everything has a lifespan.

Did you install yourself?

No. I paid to have it all put in. I paid out the nose for what I installed because I got billed by the hour and the guys didn’t know how to work on pro rib steel and assemble my furnace.

When I had the extra gas line run, I got charged $80 by a different company. Don’t ever use a national propane company.

The cost of a tank is what will get you. $1-2.50/ gallon is what a used tank could cost. Otherwise you just have to buy a couple regulators, punch a hole in the wall and run some copper and tracer wire. You could pre dig the trench so they don’t need to haul the trencher out there. I’d also think forward for anything else you may add and have extra T’s put in and just cap them.

Likely good advice. I use rubber hoses with heaters in our box blinds and keep the tank on the outside. I do have three blinds that we have left the hose on all year long. Likely a bad idea......and I may need to rethink that plan. So far it's been good.....but everything has a lifespan.
If the rubber hose is sunlight rated, it should hold up for a while unless the critters get to it.

Just run copper tubing and be done with it for a couple generations. The propane lights at duck hunting shack were plumbed with copper in the 1950s when moved down river over the ice. They still work although one probably needs some gunk blown out of the line. But lines don't leak and not affected by sunlight. Back in the day they used a wood stove. I plumbed in a propane heater about 35 yrs ago and that copper line is good too. About every 5 yrs have to clean the rust outta the ports on the burner though.

Cooper is quite expensive these days, but would be better. I have a 6x12 trailer with a dickinson heater. I have the ruubber hose because with all the flex and vibrations copper might fail. I just covered the hose in split loom.

Cooper tubing usually has single flare 37 degree fittings. You may have trouble finding a flare to threaded 1lb propane tank fitting. You also have to buy a flaring tool. A regular brake line tool will work if it is big enough for your line you need. likely 3/8ths.

F273704 is a 10ft hose for that heater, only $20 on amazon. Remember, your regulator is inside the heater, so you need to get the 250psi or so propane to your little heater w/o a regulator.

Get the hose in and then measure the outside diameter, then order split loom for it.

What are you using the heater for? A few hours of hunting? A long weekend in a ltitle cabin? Those ice fishing shack stoves would be much better. condensation sucks. nuway is liked by several folks on here.

Cooper is quite expensive these days, but would be better. I have a 6x12 trailer with a dickinson heater. I have the ruubber hose because with all the flex and vibrations copper might fail. I just covered the hose in split loom.

Cooper tubing usually has single flare 37 degree fittings. You may have trouble finding a flare to threaded 1lb propane tank fitting. You also have to buy a flaring tool. A regular brake line tool will work if it is big enough for your line you need. likely 3/8ths.

F273704 is a 10ft hose for that heater, only $20 on amazon. Remember, your regulator is inside the heater, so you need to get the 250psi or so propane to your little heater w/o a regulator.

Get the hose in and then measure the outside diameter, then order split loom for it.

What are you using the heater for? A few hours of hunting? A long weekend in a ltitle cabin? Those ice fishing shack stoves would be much better. condensation sucks. nuway is liked by several folks on here.
I got three of those NuWay stoves and they work pretty good. Those are the ones I leave the Rubber Hose attached thru the winter.....in case someone will go on a coyote hunt or?? The Hose is mostly shaded and has shown no signs of deterioration in the 3 to 5 years we have used them. May just continue as is and monitor for any issues. The others (which go to buddy heaters) are taken in each year at the close of deer season. We put a bit of tape over the ends to keep spiders out of the hoses. No issues in 15 years that way.

Just going to use it on the really cold nights during hunting season. Probably only a few times per year. Like 4 or 5 times

I guess I could just use one of those hoses. Put a hole in the floor to run the line out. Simple enough.