Battery operated heater?

The military has sure gotten some things right. Winter sleeping bags and wool blankets are two of them!
I’ve sure spent a few nights with just a bag with cover tucked up under a log in the snow when I was in. Slept like a baby warm and cozy.

I remember Jim Schocky’s old hunting vids when he was working on the world slam with a muzzle loader….he used to sit in a tree or on a rocky crag all night in a winter bag to get his deer/goat/sheep or whatever he was after.

I agree a good sleeping bag will let you sleep in the coldest temperatures. A sleeping pad with good insulating qualities is equally important if you sleep on the ground. I did a good amount of winter camping and backcountry skiing in a previous life.

I don’t care how warm your sleeping system is though, getting up to shit at 2AM is gonna suck if you don’t have a heater running when you trip and fall through the front door of the cabin on your way back in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s exactly what I was thinking. I can sleep fine in the cold. It’s putting cold clothes on and getting out from under the warm blankets that suck!

Btw, should I take my lawn tractor out when heating the shed? will Condensation form on the engine if I use the Mr buddy heater?

Btw, should I take my lawn tractor out when heating the shed? will Condensation form on the engine if I use the Mr buddy heater?

I would remove anything with fuel in it. The heater has a live flame.

Also, when I was Canada moose hunting, I would sleep with a fleece hat on. You loose a lot of heat through your head and it helped with staying warm. You can also through a couple of large hot hands in your sleeping bag.

I use a smaller propane heaters in my blind. 150 cubic feet stays comfortable on low in 0 degree weather. Heating it to “comfortable” takes about 30 minutes, and during that time you will experience frosted windows and condensation. The ABS plastic “Booner Blind” by Maverick has adequate ventilation without opening a window, as it is not close to air tight, but does keep the rain off. The heaters have CO protection, which is a nice safety feature. I have also a Buddy heater in our Dutchman 18’ camper, which has an electric fireplace for heat. This Buddy will keep it warm all night in the teens—I have not tried it in lower terms. I get about 6 hours per tank on low with the single tank heater and 10 hours on low with the two tank heater.

As other have noted, propane is the way to go. BTW, I refill the 1 gallon tanks from my 20, and always have a spare in the blind.

Here is a picture of the blind heater and the blind.

View attachment 58760

View attachment 58761
How do you like maverick blinds? I thought about building my own tower like yours and putting a maverick xl next year.

I agree a good sleeping bag will let you sleep in the coldest temperatures. A sleeping pad with good insulating qualities is equally important if you sleep on the ground. I did a good amount of winter camping and backcountry skiing in a previous life.

I don’t care how warm your sleeping system is though, getting up to shit at 2AM is gonna suck if you don’t have a heater running when you trip and fall through the front door of the cabin on your way back in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree with having a good sleeping bag in winter camping.....and a GOOD pad is most important. When sleeping on cold ground keeping insulation between the ground and that sleeping bag is most important. ( had an inadequate foam pad on a trip to Idaho.....and ended up putting all my extra clothing and my coat under my bag at night. Still, the ground was cold.....even with a super down bag. One of those self-inflating air mattresses is the real ticket IMO.

How do you like maverick blinds? I thought about building my own tower like yours and putting a maverick xl next year.
They are not bad for the price. The doors are not "air tight" by any means, and the windows will allow some air/rain through after the first year. They seem to heat up easily, and do a decent job of keeping the elements out. I use the small propane heaters in both and they heat up quickly. One is mounted on a "Sportsman Supply" metal tower blind. Bad decision, as it is tippy (the base is only 6') and the trap door is a good idea poorly executed. The tower made with 4x4s and "elevator" brackets is working great.

I have hunted from some Rednecks, and while they are nicer, I am not sure they are 2.5 x nicer given what we use them for.
Positives: Windows stay shut between seasons; Price is acceptable, will last a lifetime, easy to drill into for adding items such as gun/bow holders and beverage holders. I also put hooks in the ceiling to hold calls. I love the tinted windows.
Negatives: Not as "air tight" as the fiberglass and composite construction. No floor (which is not an issue, IMO), does not come pre-assembled.

I should add my first one is now six years old and the second one is two years old. The smaller one has gone through the mill, as it was on a levy and fell during a storm, which was about 20' drop to the roof. However, it was able to be used again with minimal work. I liked that that replacement parts were affordable and shipped the next day.

20231102_213030.jpg

This thread got me motived to put my trailer heater in. It's a 6x12x7ft high with 1" foam on the walls and 1-1/2" foam on the ceiling and ramp. Floors have 2 layers of carpet. Put in a propane leak detector and a smoke detector.

Heater been on for an hour, pipe is almost too hot to hold, but think it'll be ok. IT says 4000 btu on low and 5500 on high. Pretty much an overpriced 120v space heater......... They say the small fan uses about .1amp and the propane detector uses 40mA. I got a group 24 trolling motor battery and a 100 watt solar panel. Should be fine for 3 day weekends. Not entirely sure if the matress and snowmobile fits in there. Hopefully find out soon.

Last edited:
View attachment 59163

This thread got me motived to put my trailer heater in. It's a 6x12x7ft high with 1" foam on the walls and 1-1/2" foam on the ceiling and ramp. Floors have 2 layers of carpet. Put in a propane leak detector and a smoke detector.

Heater been on for an hour, pipe is almost too hot to hold, but think it'll be ok. IT says 4000 btu on low and 5500 on high. Pretty much an overpriced 120v space heater......... They say the small fan uses about .1amp and the propane detector uses 40mA. I got a group 24 trolling motor battery and a 100 watt solar panel. Should be fine for 3 day weekends. Not entirely sure if the matress and snowmobile fits in there. Hopefully find out soon.
It looks well made. I'm looking forward to your experience. Do you have an insulated floor?....or just that carpet?? What is an insulated "ramp".....is that the door?

Well, discovered I need to insulate the walls and floor and ceiling. the Mr buddy heater worked ok, didn’t get it as cozy as I would have liked.

Foggy,

My trailer's floor isn't insulated. It doubles as a snowmobile trailer, and I have to hose down the trailer after being on the highway. Calcium chloride. The wall are 1 inch thick, so I got R-5 in them. The ramp is either 1.5 or 2" thick. Stuffed it full with either 2 layers of 1" R-5, or 1" R-5 and (2) layers of 1/4" R-1. The 2 layers of carpet are about R-1.5, so it helps. Think on low I'll be ok, atleast at night in a bed on cold 10 deg F nights. Thinking below that will be rough, but usually don't want to hunt out in that much cold anyways.

Hunts with a Stick,

This stuff isn't too bad. Have it for the ceiling insulation at the cabin. Helps alot. Sealing up air leaks and directing your cold air inlet at your heater is going to help too.

Not sure if I mentioned it before, local mom n pop's on craigslist sell foamboard alot cheaper than home depot. Litterally 1/2 price.

Floor, it might be a decent idea to insulate the florr above your floor. Lay down foamboard with strips of wood, then cover with plywood. Commonly doen with insulating trailers too. The neighbors had a few parties at the 4 season campground I was in for snowmobile season.