All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Badgerfowl's habitat projects

Looking good Jon! Hopefully the spy takes off finally! Same with that Northwest Greening! :)

Looking good Jon! Hopefully the spy takes off finally! Same with that Northwest Greening! :)

The NW Greening is a great looking tree. I'm not worried about it! Even the little sweet 16 started to take off after a while last year. Started slow and I didn't have the best protection/ground covering but it should do fine now. The sweet 16 I planted from BRN in 2012 is probably my straightest tree and one of the more vigorous ones. The HGG from that batch is probably the most vigorous one. Those all started as small little runty things too.

badger, were you up this weekend? Took a ride around by your place, looks like the water is starting to come down a bit, and everything is starting to really get green.

stopped by for 10 minutes on saturday to check out the apple trees. There's still water in the old oxbows in the woods but it's been down for a couple weeks now. Haven't had much rain lately. Everything is coming to life now. I noticed some of my hinge cuts along the field edge budded out too. Hopefully they'll stay alive for a few years.

Had blooms on quite a few trees. Hopefully we avoid a freeze this coming weekend. Everything should be good then.

Have you been out jerking any fish lips? I am going smallie fishing in 2 weeks over near Crivitz/Crandon area, super stoked!

We were supposed to this past weekend. Got the boat in Saturday afternoon. Fired up with the first start but would clunk out when trying to get on plane. Limped it to our dock. Tried again, same thing, then limped it back to launch and took it out. Took the cover off at home and noticed two holes in the air filter. Nothing was open at that time so will try to get it in later this week. Fished off the dock with no bites. Water temp 60 so should be good soon.

Bummer!

Some pics from the weekend. Crappy cell phone pics. Good camera died after only a few shots of the 1st leaf trees.

7th leaf wolf river. Dwarf.

Cortlands

Hinge trees leafed out

We obviously don't have enough browse in our woods. My dogwoods look the same where I removed any protection. These are sandbar willow and a few HP.

Enterprise w/ a few blossoms. Probably won't let it keep too many. Either 3rd or 4th leaf. B118.

Hudson's Golden Gem 5th leaf. B118. Seems to be a tip-bearer. Not sure if I ever looked that up before.

boat issues

Searched for mushrooms around the lot. Found this instead. Think its a ramp.

Stopped by our place yesterday afternoon. We hit 22 degrees Sunday morning.

First year trees are looking good. Off to a nice start. Cummin's trees are looking better than St. Lawrence. Maybe that's the difference between 1 and 2 year old transplants? Either way, everything is leafed out.

Dolgo on P18.

Chestnut Crab on B118

NW Greening on B118

Golden Hornet on MM106

Kerr on P18

Might have some fruit despite the freeze. Find out for sure next month.

Black Oxford still at 1/2" green at the most. Hoping it doesn't die on me.

Deer made quick work of the willows. Easy to see the browse line on the HP.

Badger - My St. Lawrence trees usually take a little longer to kick into gear ( Antonovka rootstock ) than Cummins or ACN on B-118 or MM-111, but they will. I've had NO PROBLEMS with any St. Lawrence trees. Actually - none with Cummins or ACN either !! :)

Those poplars are looking pretty good.

Badger - My St. Lawrence trees usually take a little longer to kick into gear ( Antonovka rootstock ) than Cummins or ACN on B-118 or MM-111, but they will. I've had NO PROBLEMS with any St. Lawrence trees. Actually - none with Cummins or ACN either !! :)

Those poplars are looking pretty good.

That's good to hear. I can't wait til they get some growth on them and start producing. These are my first ones on standard rootstock. With a bunch of others already producing I can wait for fruit w/ these.

Hey Jon I did notice my prairie spy had a few blooms on Saturday. The tree is probably just under 7' tall now and has some good branching.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hey Jon I did notice my prairie spy had a few blooms on Saturday. The tree is probably just under 7' tall now and has some good branching.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Is that from the same grafting year as the one you gave me? I'm hoping this year it finally starts to grow up.

Here's what the PS looks like as of Monday. Need to clear the weeds next time I'm up. It had a bunch of grapevine things around it last year. Probably didn't help things. I cleared those last fall.

Is that from the same grafting year as the one you gave me? I'm hoping this year it finally starts to grow up.

Yup same age tree. I didn't take a pic but I will next time.

Made it up to our place after a couple week break. Very few apples after the late frost so hopefully they all put on some good growth this year. Everything looks ok so far. Didn't notice much for bugs yet.

Prairie Spy continues to progress, albeit a bit bushy.

NW Greening

Kerr on P18

Chestnuts on B118

Dolgo on P18

Looking good Jon. Wow that PS is bushy! Oh well at least its growing?

Ready for the heat wave? Looks HOT until further notice.

Looking good Jon. Wow that PS is bushy! Oh well at least its growing?

Ready for the heat wave? Looks HOT until further notice.

Yea, I'm just glad it's doing something! I stopped by again on Monday on my way home from working in Clark Co and cleared the weeds around all 10 of the 1st leaf trees and 5 of the other younger ones, including the PS. I left too big of an opening around a few trees from a couple years ago so I just need to get another piece of weed mat around the trunk and that should help things too. I'll let the PS do its thing this year and then prune it good next spring. I'm more of a pruner than a trainer. Maybe not the best way but it works for me.

I hate the heat. I'm ready for September! Sick of summer already. Although our fishing just started memorial day weekend basically when we finally got our boat back from the shop so I can enjoy that for awhile. We made up for it the last two weekends. Panfish action has been great. Had a 17-18" bass jump out of the water and spit out the jig on saturday. Would have been tough getting him in the boat by myself w/ ultra light gear.

Caught gills, crappies, perch, lg bass, rock bass, and a walleye this past weekend.

The fishing sounds good, Badger. With heat waves, it's good to be on the water.

Trees look good too. We have Dolgo, Chestnut, and PS at camp too. All growing really well. I think you'll be very happy with all those - good cold-hearty proven varieties.