ATV Sprayer

Shad DeBoor

A good 3 year old buck
Anybody build their sprayer or just a sprayer boom for an ATV? I found a Chapin 25 gal sprayer on clearance for $60. Now I just want to add like a 2 or 3 nozzle spray boom and was wondering the best way to build it? PVC pipe or just tubing?

If you are going to build one, it isn't that hard. Just remember, when driving at 5 mph, with sprayer at aprox 35lbs of pressure, yellow tips/nozzles put on 10 gal of water per acre. Blues 15 and reds 20 gal of water per acre.

That fimco came with a folding boom for around $250 at the time.
Thanks MoBuck for the helpful info

I have the same 25 gallon fimco sprayer as MO buck and it works great. Just remember to run some clean water through it after every use and you will be good to go. I've had to replace a few parts on mine over the years, but they were cheap and easy to order from Fimco. If I had to get a new sprayer, I'd probably buy the same kind again.

I have never been able to master the 5MPH. with an atv . I need a cruise control!

I have never been able to master the 5MPH. with an atv . I need a cruise control!

Definitely the hardest part. I downloaded a speedometer app for my phone, it helps.

So drive 10 mph and use the red 20 gal tips to put on ten gal of water!
No need anymore, I put the atv sprayer on a carry all on the back of the tractor for speed control. I should look into a 60 gallon 3pt sprayer so I don't have to keep going back to fill up all the time.

Where is the best place to buy spray nozzles? Didn't know if one name brand was better than the other and should I use plastic or brass?

I have a 15 gal. sprayer using 2 spray nozzles about 4' apart. It only sprays 8' wide but works good for my smaller plots. I mounted them on a piece of 3/4" conduit that I mount on my ATV rack. You can get it all at TSC. I think I used some old air line for the hoses.

I have a 15 gal. sprayer using 2 spray nozzles about 4' apart. It only sprays 8' wide but works good for my smaller plots. I mounted them on a piece of 3/4" conduit that I mount on my ATV rack. You can get it all at TSC. I think I used some old air line for the hoses.
Did you use 80 or 110 degree nozzle heads?

I have a spraydepot getting me some parts together for making the boom. They need to know who much water I want to spread per minute? Should I use 1 inch tubing or smaller? Can somebody help answer these for me.

Did you use 80 or 110 degree nozzle heads?

Not sure. They are yellow, does color mean anything?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would aim for 12 gal / acre. That would get you 2 acre/tank. You should be able to do the math from there, if you know your desired ground speed.

Just use a yellow Flat fan 80 degree spray tip. As I have said before, at aprox 35lbs of pressure drive 5 mph, you will put on aprox 10 gal of water/product per acre. 1/2 hose is all you need. check to see if your pump is a 2.1 gallon per minute pump?
it says my pump pumps 1 gallon per minute.

I just took it back and went to Northern Tool and bought a 26 gallon sprayer and a boom that pumps 2.2 gallons per minute. It was on sale for $199 and I had a $20 coupon.

NorthStar ATV Broadcast and Spot Sprayer - 26 Gallon, 2.2 GPM, 12 Volt
41A5sVG6LuL.jpg

$199 sounds like a boomless sprayer! Not the same as a folding boom by any means.
Didn't have folding arms. That will be my next thing to get.

Just be aware these boomless sprayers shoot the herbicide straight out the back, instead of straight down with a boom setup on the target weeds. Straight out the back runs the risk of more drift, so be aware!
We are going to get or make a boom for this one just haven't yet. My Dad is a retired pipe fitter so we are leaving this job for him..LOL