ATV Ground Hog

Trlblzr3

5 year old buck +
Does anyone have experience with the Ground Hog disc ATV attachment?

Yes, I Have used one since 2011. I’ve replaced broken parts on the hitch assembly they provide and some older steal pieces that have rusted and broke over time. Customer support is great. My soil is very rocky and both the machine and disk can take a beating. I have a 2010 Polaris 500 that I mount the hitch bar all the way under the body of the atv to handle the abuse. All in all for small food plots of 3/4 acre or smaller it works great. I use that and a harrow drag and plots turn out great.

Can you back up with it?

Yes, I Have used one since 2011. I’ve replaced broken parts on the hitch assembly they provide and some older steal pieces that have rusted and broke over time. Customer support is great. My soil is very rocky and both the machine and disk can take a beating. I have a 2010 Polaris 500 that I mount the hitch bar all the way under the body of the atv to handle the abuse. All in all for small food plots of 3/4 acre or smaller it works great. I use that and a harrow drag and plots turn out great.
I have 2000 Polaris Sportsman, could you post a picture of the mount.

Here is a video that will show you. I use a bigger bolt up front but it’s probably depend on the model of that atv.

well I am going to say this, we tried using one at one of our property's and it was worthless, wouldn;t waste my money on it!
way better to invest in a better tow behind using, of a gang disc set up IMO

but alot will come down to the land your on!

ours was rocky and lots of grass( mowed first and burnt down with round up ) and just wouldn;t do must of anything without a million passes over the same spot over and over

my hunting camp has tried a dozen or so, so called ATV implement disc's
the tow behind adjustable cut gang units work the best, the heavier they are the better too
but there all HARD on an ATV
so heads up!

I’ve had the Groundhog max disk and then I bought a Tuffline tow behind. The Tufflline is 10x better, but It cost a lot more. When I was disking, it was prob one of the best $$ I’ve spent on a food plot implement. Now I do longer disc and my 31gal Northstar sprayer is my best piece of equipment . The disking destroys your soil.

Reactions: don
I think MRBB brings up a good point... are you breaking new ground? I’ve used it to do that but it’s a lot more work

I’ve had the Groundhog max disk and then I bought a Tuffline tow behind. The Tufflline is 10x better, but It cost a lot more. When I was disking, it was prob one of the best $$ I’ve spent on a food plot implement. Now I do longer disc and my 31gal Northstar sprayer is my best piece of equipment . The disking destroys your soil.
So you just spray Weedkiller and broadcast.

I think MRBB brings up a good point... are you breaking new ground? I’ve used it to do that but it’s a lot more work
Yes new to this and don’t have any implements

Trlblzer: yes. I spray my existing plot with Gly ( roundup) come back 6 days later and broadcast my seed then cultipack it in. You want the dead thatch from your previous plot to lay on top of your seed to act as a good mulch and hold moisture. I usually always seed right before a good rain, but it’s not always easy to time. You can always mow before you Cultipack as well. More than one way to do a plot. If you want to have healthy soil and build organic matter and have good soil infiltration, tillage is not the way to go. You can still get a nice plot from tilling. Everyone is different and has different views on things.

well I am going to say this, we tried using one at one of our property's and it was worthless, wouldn;t waste my money on it!
way better to invest in a better tow behind using, of a gang disc set up IMO

but alot will come down to the land your on!

ours was rocky and lots of grass( mowed first and burnt down with round up ) and just wouldn;t do must of anything without a million passes over the same spot over and over

my hunting camp has tried a dozen or so, so called ATV implement disc's
the tow behind adjustable cut gang units work the best, the heavier they are the better too
but there all HARD on an ATV
so heads up!

I had this experience with it. Turned out to be an expensive boat anchor for me.

Yes new to this and don’t have any implements
ok, why not start with this
HOW large a plot are you wanting to make with your ATV

and like always, what is the soil condition of the site
as if soil is poor and needs lime or added, your really going to want to turn the ground over to mix lime in for it to work

SO< before suggesting a way to plant or a tool to use, please tell us more on what your wanting to do
starting with size of plot intended!

Hunt club is talking foodplots and I was just checking to see what I might get to help. From sound of it the ground hog is not it. Thanks guys for the input.

the absolute best advice I can tell you then is this
IF your HUNTING CLUB is thinking of starting to do food plots
SCREW atv's and atv implements all together
tell them to invest in a CHEAP older tractor, something like a Ford 8 or 9 n, a farm all, from the 140 up, a H or the likes, there are MILLIONS of parts out there, they can be had CHEAPER than any atv, and will out work any atv made today!
there simple to work on, designed for uneducated farmers back in the day and mean NO disrespect saying this, its just a fact, they were made to be simple to fix!
and been around so long due to there built to last generations
you will also then find used OLDER tractor implements for less money that ATV implements will be
older drag behind disc are all over farm country, NEW farmers DON"T use them anymore
they can be had cheap, rebuilt and again last decades
and you will NOT destroy your atv doing tractor work with it

best bang for your buck is a tractor if your in the food plot game IMO

I bought and sold many tractors with a two behind drag disc, in GREAT shape and condition for about 2 grand or less!

like all things in life you get what you put into things, search for deals, there out there!
atv implements are over prides most under built and are un forgiving on atv's that pull them!

do the math on what a new atv costs, and the atv implements, and your talking a REAL nice tractor and many implements!, and with basic care will out live any ATV made!
there investments and should be viewed as such

also odds ar what you paid today for a tractor, you will get ALL back or more if you take care of it, as NEW prices keep climbing, making older one's hold values
ATV'S don';t do this either, just the opposite, minus new one's costing more! LOL

I use mine to get into those hard to get at spots or micro plots. No this thing won’t replace a large disc but in small tight spots it does the trick