Ideas for mowing foodplots

Mike O

A good 3 year old buck
I have an atv pull behind brush hog that I use to mow clover foodplots. The thing is a pain to load and unload on my trailer and was trying to get ideas about other implements that might be out there for this purpose. There are a number of walk behind self propelled brush cutters out there. What about making alterations to a push lawnmower? Looking for some out of the box ideas if you have any to share.

I considered buying a couple used lawn mowers and fitting them to a custom frame that I could pull with an ATV. I went away from that idea due to the risk of shearing a pin in the terrain where I planned to use it. If you don't have sticks and rocks that could cause you problems, it would probably work.

I decided to use a string trimmer with a brush blade instead. It takes a lot longer but it made the most sense for me.

This year I will be trying a walk behind string mower, which seems like a promising piece of equipment for where I need to clear a lot of vegetation.

I zip tied 2 push mowers to the back of my 4 wheeler once and zip tied the throttles wide open to cut paths through a hayfield..if I went slow enough it sorta worked and it beat the heck out of the mowers…

I've done a lot of plotting with a zero turn mower. It'll drive right up on a trailer.

Push mowers are more useful than most give them credit for. Maybe put bigger wheels on it so you can mow at a reasonable height. Or bracket mount the wheels for height.

One of the problems with push mowers (or benefits, depending on how you look at it) is they want to keep the vegetation underneath in order to chop it up, or they fling it out the side. I think if you were able to knock the sides out, they would have less chance of getting bogged down in tall grass.

Zero turn is way to go IMO. I think you could have a nice food plot with only a spreader and a zero turn.

Search for @Native Hunter and he has some great posts about plots he does with just zero turn.

@SD51555 also has a cool plot he uses a blower spreader and I think he has a walk behind brush cutter.

Good lucj

I did about 5/8ths or so of an acre with a weed wacker. Buy a big motor'd one, a whole extra spool head, and 2 spools thimbles already wound with wire. I swear the monster sized stuff gets as beat up as medium thinner string. Just got less string with thicker. I use the good stihl stuff.

DR I believe makes a tow behind string trimmer mower for fences.

I use a swisher 42" rough cut. It is a pain to load into my 6x12 trailer. I have a set of pulleys that make it alot easier. Same kind of setup to lift deer up. sometimes I use my deer pulleys. Added bonus, can use those pulley to help drag deer out of nasty spots. Also can help with putting treestands up.

President of the hunting club has one of those trimmers ran off a lawnmower engine on wheels.

What amount of property re you maintaining?. Hows the fields there, lumpy, rocks? Make sure you bring a spare head nomatter what you choose.

Zero turn is way to go IMO. I think you could have a nice food plot with only a spreader and a zero turn.

Search for @Native Hunter and he has some great posts about plots he does with just zero turn.

@SD51555 also has a cool plot he uses a blower spreader and I think he has a walk behind brush cutter.

Good lucj
All the plots on my land thread and what I put on the TnM thread are done with a zero turn. They aren't perfect but they do well.

Good lucj

I keep working on this every year. I’m up to about two acres of plots now, and that’s getting to be tricky with a walk behind.

Next idea was to rent a tractor and rotary mower. That was way too expensive. Current idea is to hire my neighbor with a rotary on a skid steer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigboreblr, my mower is also 42'' so I think you understand what I am getting at. Major pain in ass getting it loaded to take to camp each time and I don't really want to leave it up there. My plots are not real big but the one issue is the one plot was established with my ATV and a spring tooth harrow. The trail getting in there is not level enough to get a riding mower or zero turn in there. What ever happened to those sickle mowers. They were a walk behind type deal with a blade on the front that looked like a hedge trimmer? That would be ideal but never see them anymore? The only reason I know they ever existed was my cousin had one that he got when our grandfather passed away 35 years ago. I see weed wacker attachments with the hedge trimmer but they are not at an angle (straight in line with motor) so thats no good. Probably just end up using a weed whacker in there untill I can figure something better out.

Those walk behind sickle bar mowers can be found on marketplace and Craigslist.

All the plots on my land thread and what I put on the TnM thread are done with a zero turn. They aren't perfect but they do well.
Should have added you too. Cool stuff thanks.

Forget dr walk behind brush hogs. Theyre tougher on you thsn the brush it chops up. Love and hate it at the same time.

Just curious for the zero turn crowd on how high of grass/weeds can be tackled.....

I have an atv pull behind brush hog that I use to mow clover foodplots. The thing is a pain to load and unload on my trailer and was trying to get ideas about other implements that might be out there for this purpose. There are a number of walk behind self propelled brush cutters out there. What about making alterations to a push lawnmower? Looking for some out of the box ideas if you have any to share.
You already have the best tool. Maybe spend your energy on figuring out a better way to load/unload or find a different trailer.

You already have the best tool. Maybe spend your energy on figuring out a better way to load/unload or find a different trailer.

Good point. Curved ramps and an electric winch might help.

Forget dr walk behind brush hogs. Theyre tougher on you thsn the brush it chops up. Love and hate it at the same time.
I respectfully disagree. I have the 20HP model and it is definitely a beast. It does what they say it'll do. I admit it beat me up pretty good when I first got it. After using it for a few years I've just learned to go slow and let the machine do the work. If I try and race with it it'll kick my ass. Low gear, feather the clutch, use the hand brakes to steer it, and it's a pussycat. My $0.02.

Edit - But, I'd add, it's not my first choice for mowing a food plot. I've got an older two wheeled pull behind DR mower for that. The challenge I have with the tow behind model is, going slow. It works a lot better when I just creep along, but my throttle thumb gets itchy.

If money is no object.....I suspect a pull behind flail mower would be the real deal for this purpose. It would lay the mowed and mulched debris more evenly across the field. Take a deep breath before you check prices tho.

I respectfully disagree. I have the 20HP model and it is definitely a beast. It does what they say it'll do. I admit it beat me up pretty good when I first got it. After using it for a few years I've just learned to go slow and let the machine do the work. If I try and race with it it'll kick my ass. Low gear, feather the clutch, use the hand brakes to steer it, and it's a pussycat. My $0.02.

Edit - But, I'd add, it's not my first choice for mowing a food plot. I've got an older two wheeled pull behind DR mower for that. The challenge I have with the tow behind model is, going slow. It works a lot better when I just creep along, but my throttle thumb gets itchy.
This^^^^^^

Go slow and don't fight the beast

Even then, its still a workout

I have had mine for 17 years

bill

You can skip the mowing and spray your plots. I built a tire drag and leave it up at camp. Some folks do throw and mow with tire drags and no spraying. I use 3 17" pickup truck tires. MY 400cc honda could handle a 5 or 6 tire easily. Could make a concrete cultipacker and leave it. Maybe have the tire drag too for that one area where it might be tough moving the cultipacker too.

If going the push mower route. Purchase a blade that is 1 inch smaller. Gives alot more room inside the deck. Any opening up of the deck you can do helps.

Also, those air filters get dirty quick. Check it when mowing tall dead grass and the motor seem to stall out more often.

I am still surprised when I run my swisher 42" rough cut mower. Just how much it can mow and chop without stalling. Even having the failing 11hp motor with rod knock on it. Should be a total animal when I get around to put the new 13hp on it. In combination with an TV it's hard to beat. I'd just figure out an easier way to get it on the trailer. Maybe a cheap 12v winch.