Attempted Thieves - Need Padlock help

mtholton

5 year old buck +
Anyone have any suggestions for removing a padlock that someone tried to drill out unsuccessfully?? I have a shipping container to store our equipment out at our land. Sometime since last weekend, someone went out there and tried cutting it off and also drilling it out. It's a beefy lock and they didn't get it open. There was another lock as well behind a guard built into the container. I can't open my container now which made for a wasted visit today with the kids... Curious if you have any tips for removing them in this state?

Filed a report to see if there is other activity in the area... It is the first time I've had a real issue and have only had one person on camera who was an old local that was more confused than anything. I normally have cameras every three inches, but of course had them at home this past week to change out batteries and clean up after the winter... That thing will be fort knox with cell cameras and more going forward....

Attachments

• lockl.jpeg
    lockl.jpeg
    72.7 KB · Views: 64
Depending on the quality of the lock your best bet may be a torch. Bolt cutters may work but it really depends on the lock. The other 2 options I have used are sawzall blades and angle grinders.

I had a buddy who locked his receiver hitch on his truck and lost his key. Man did we go through sawzall blades in that deal.

Good luck.

You will be surprised at how many locks you can cut with a battery powered angle grinder. It’s kinda sad if you think a lock equals security.

Thanks will try to borrow one. A few nail strips might find their way out there as well...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If its an average master lock , you can make a couple simple pop can "E" shims and open the lock, just you tube it and cut a can and your likely going to open it. Its pretty easy and has worked on most of the master locks I have tried it on.

Angle grinder. I've never used a battery powered one, but you can get a regular one and a small generator at Harbor Freight for a decent price.

You can break them relatively easy with two wrenches. You should get the locks for truck trailers/containers where the "loop" isnt exposed.

battery powered angle grinder with a 4.5" metal cut-off wheel. will zip right through it.
Exactly! Take off the grinding wheel, and use a thin cutting wheel.

I agree with S.T. Fanatic - post #8. We have a round, circular lock at camp ( similar to what S.T. is talking about ) on a gate that only has about 1/2" of "loop" exposed. We welded a 3-sided shroud or "roof" over it so only the bottom is open, and it's only open enough to admit the small (short) key that opens it. Trying to drill it open or get a grinder on it is impossible. Try drilling upwards on a circular lock through a small opening - the lock just wiggles, spins , and flops around. The hole for the key is up on the side, so a drill can't even access it. It's a bit difficult to open when you have the key, but it's a small price to pay for better security.

I agree with S.T. Fanatic - post #8. We have a round, circular lock at camp ( similar to what S.T. is talking about ) on a gate that only has about 1/2" of "loop" exposed. We welded a 3-sided shroud or "roof" over it so only the bottom is open, and it's only open enough to admit the small (short) key that opens it. Trying to drill it open or get a grinder on it is impossible. Try drilling upwards on a circular lock through a small opening - the lock just wiggles, spins , and flops around. The hole for the key is up on the side, so a drill can't even access it. It's a bit difficult to open when you have the key, but it's a small price to pay for better security.

Wold love to see a pic next time you are out there. I have one of these built into my box. It would be hard or impossible to cut the lock off that is up in the box, but they could still drill it out... Sounds like yours might protect against this.

Attachments

• master-lock-in-lock-box-768x576.jpg
    master-lock-in-lock-box-768x576.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 46
Look up a 'puck lock' not sure if it will work for you or not. depends on the latch type.

Mtholton, post #11 - Our set-up is much like yours in the pic, but our lock doesn't stick out the bottom at all. The lock is shaped like a pocket watch, and is about the same size as a 2 3/4" dia. pocket watch. Maybe that's what S.T. Fanatic is talking about above - a "puck lock". Our lock is fully up inside the steel shroud and isn't visible from the outside. The key entry is up on the side of the lock, much like the center point of a pocket watch face. To drill out the keyhole is impossible - it's not accessible. The key is a small, short one and we have to stick our fingers up inside the steel shroud to put the key in the lock. It requires a bit of dexterity, but it's worth the security factor.

The gate is all steel - no fencing. Welded pipe, bar stock, tube steel and I-beam posts.

I had a shed built last year with thin metal sides and a roll up door. They could just easily tear off the sides. I am always worried about theft but most of the thieves are looking for quick cash items. Most of the stuff I have is implements for tractor or skid steer , or the machines themselves. I make myself feel better by parking the Skid steer at the door so they can't get anything out. I know the fallacy of padlocks, but I still use them. They make some pretty serious locks for the back of containers. Might be worth the investment. I swear I'd rather be held up at gunpoint than stolen from. Same goes for poachers.

use a pair of open end wrencehs, put one bettween the hoop, and a second that just fits, wrench em towards ech other and wath it pop.

My Grandpa always said, "Locks only keep the Honest and Curious out"

Thanks for the tips all. I brought out a generator to run my angle grinder. Took all but 5 seconds to zip through it... Couldn't believe how quick it went on a very beefy padlock. Filed a police report. Said it's likely a meth head. I now have three locks and multiple cameras that are hidden and elevated out of easy reach (10+ feet) in various spots. Good thing it's the off season and I have a lot of available cameras:) I also have a cell camera that I'm hoping to catch them in the act if they come back - and the sheriff dispatch line at the ready.

You can break them relatively easy with two wrenches. You should get the locks for truck trailers/containers where the "loop" isnt exposed.
American puck locks, there is a cast and a milled. The A2010 is milled.
I use the shackle type American A701, add the 6th pin and its inside a lock box, cant get a grinder into it. You can order multiple ones all keyed alike, use code "KA" for that.

Anyone have any suggestions for removing a padlock that someone tried to drill out unsuccessfully?? I have a shipping container to store our equipment out at our land. Sometime since last weekend, someone went out there and tried cutting it off and also drilling it out. It's a beefy lock and they didn't get it open. There was another lock as well behind a guard built into the container. I can't open my container now which made for a wasted visit today with the kids... Curious if you have any tips for removing them in this state?

Filed a report to see if there is other activity in the area... It is the first time I've had a real issue and have only had one person on camera who was an old local that was more confused than anything. I normally have cameras every three inches, but of course had them at home this past week to change out batteries and clean up after the winter... That thing will be fort knox with cell cameras and more going forward....
Is your access point gated or is the container hidden from the road? I dont have gates up yet but havent had any issues with people driving into my land in that area. I was going to leave a camper out there but that seems like a prime break-in target for an underage party I would guess who did this is someone who lives very close by and can see/predict when you come and go.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have seen them remove the metal sheets on a building to get in with cordless impact.I don't even lock my doors but I have cameras inside and out and solar lights inside and out