Ash trees

We have cut a few hundred of the dead standing ones in our marsh and never had a barber chair or anything snap off. I dont think they have been dead that long.

We have cut a few hundred of the dead standing ones in our marsh and never had a barber chair or anything snap off. I dont think they have been dead that long.

A lot of the danger is in the dead limbs overhead. Even when a tree is fully under control and on it's way to the ground, dead limbs can break-off from the slightest movement of the tree. Branches can also snap off when they bush up against surrounding tree tops. It's amazing how those types of break-offs can throw branches well out of the safe landing zone.

There's hardly a day in the woods that I don't hear trees falling somewhere or find newly fallen ash branches or entire trees that were not laying there the day before. Just being in the woods on a day with light winds can be dangerous. I hear crap falling when there is NO wind. I find myself looking up more than the old does look up around here!

It's a little unnerving to walk an access route to a stand and 3 hours later, on the way out, there's a 14" ash tree laying across it.
5 years ago, I really didn't pay much attention to the percentage of ash trees in my woods, I just knew that I liked ash characteristics for hanging stands. Other than that, I paid little attention to ash. Now, I'm blown away at how many dead ash trees I see...they are everywhere here. And they are all dismantling day by day. A lot of widow makers out there.

When it makes it way through MN, a lot of trees are going to die. We have a lot, read somewhere that 30% of the yard trees in Minnesota cities are ash.

When it makes it way through MN, a lot of trees are going to die. We have a lot, read somewhere that 30% of the yard trees in Minnesota cities are ash.
There's a fortune to be made taking them down. Being aware of the issue has made me pay attention to just how many ash are hanging over peoples homes, yards where kids play, power lines, and roads.
I wish I would have been a little more active about taking them down. They're mostly all dead here now and are dangerous for even professionals to drop.

There is a guy in my area with sawmill, I should cut some up into boards. It's really nice wood, might as well get something out of it.

The last couple weekends I have been amazed at how much dying ash I see on the 2hr drive to my parents' farm in PA. On the drive down US 220, many are right along the road. Very noticeable with wood peckers working on them. The outer bark is knocked off to show tan colored material. I imagine PennDot will be dealing with those falling across roads for years.

We only have a couple big ash on the farm that I know of with the one now showing the same wood pecker damage. I cut a few smaller ones that I hope will stump sprout.

They'll all be gone when it's all said & done. My son and a buddy have been cutting them down on a rural farm property and making firewood to sell. Extra money beside their regular jobs. Dead ash everywhere. Dangerous near roads / power lines.