Arrowhead and other historic/pre-historic collections

Bethany scores again. Mozark and Hoyt, need your identification skills. I took the boys on an arrowhead hunt today at our best farm. We hunted hard for 90 minutes then the tornado watch chased us home. No artifacts but 20 pieces of flint chips and debitage. Fast forward a few hours and the rain split and went around us. So I needed to head in a different direction and check on the dryness of a field. Jumped out of the truck and she found it within forty feet.

This point is probably re-sharpened? It is left hand beveled on both sides. Appears to have an intentional flute on 1 side. Serrated edges, nice and sharp. Any ideas on type? Mozark, those frames are so nice. Your efforts have paid off.

View attachment 42697View attachment 42698
Mort,
Please tell that beautiful girl congrats! I would lean toward graham cave, they are beveled and on rare occasion fluted.

I purchased a number of pieces through Larry Garvin over the years, he always included the original photo used in his catalog.20220501_133541.jpg

A few C.O.A20220501_133703.jpg20220501_133809.jpg

My 10 yr old was pretty jealous of his sister's good fortune yesterday. He was relentless, so we went back to the same area today and wouldn't ya know he came up with two. That makes 4 in that location in the past 10 months and it's a farm I would never go to had I not randomly found that quartzite tool and Bethany's at yesterday. No clue why it's given a few up. No ditch or creek within a few miles. Anyway, real happy for him since he was due to find a nice 1. Not sure what the broken 1 is but it's had a rough life. No clue what the tiny 1 incher is either but it's a perfect little side notch of some sort.

Screenshot_20220501-180552_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220501-180558_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220501-180354_Gallery.jpg

Edit: We tried typing the small quarter sized one. Still not sure but could it possibly be a Palmer? I called it a side notch... maybe it's more of a corner notch.

Last edited:
My 10 yr old was pretty jealous of his sister's good fortune yesterday. He was relentless, so we went back to the same area today and wouldn't ya know he came up with two. That makes 4 in that location in the past 10 months and it's a farm I would never go to had I not randomly found that quartzite tool and Bethany's at yesterday. No clue why it's given a few up. No ditch or creek within a few miles. Anyway, real happy for him since he was due to find a nice 1. Not sure what the broken 1 is but it's had a rough life. No clue what the tiny 1 incher is either but it's a perfect little side notch of some sort.

View attachment 42719View attachment 42720View attachment 42721
Congrats, your son found a great piece. I don't have much experience with dalton or early archaic sites, the two i know of are in much different areas compared to later hopewell / adena sites.

Mort,

Got delayed a day due to high water. Hoyt hit the nail on the head, when I hunted north Mo a gravel bar right below a bend was THE place to look. Most of the points would be on the gravel bar, a few in the water(riffles). Here it is the opposite, most will be in the water, either at the leading edge of a riffle or just ahead.20220502_111945_HDR.jpg

Pay attention to waste flakes and spalls, they will accumulate in the same area of the creek as points, they will teach you where to look20220502_114221.jpg20220502_114230.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to show what likely creek spots would look like. It makes sense what you say about the natural sifting and sorting. Any idea why 1 location would favor finding them submerged vs another exposed? Just come down to the attributes of any given creek? Sometime this week I'm going to check a few spots on the creek just to try and get a feel for it. Hate chasing deer away but this time of year they probably get chased all over.

Rained .7" this morn. Chris and I are going to check out the creek. Have a small gravel island just downstream of hard bend in mind.

Congrats, your son found a great piece. I don't have much experience with dalton or early archaic sites, the two i know of are in much different areas compared to later hopewell / adena sites.
Is there a way to figure out where "sites" are? I have recently become more interested in artifacts and really have no idea where to spend most of my time. I have been looking in ditches/washouts/small creeks and plowed fields. I'm unsure where to concentrate my efforts. Little creeks? Ditches? Washouts? Plowed fields-towards the top of hills or anywhere? I do know an old boy that has found quite a few pieces and I dont think he is able to get out anymore. I have been meaning to talk to him next time I see him, he was my middle school science teacher. I understand they could be anywhere, I just want to learn more about the best places to concentrate. I am located in Eastern Iowa if that makes any difference.

Last edited:
Anywhere near where there was once a settlement of some kind. Usually around waterways but, can also be inland. Many have been recovered on our old homestead on a hill nowhere near a waterway. There was a settlement there in the 1800’s Every time the field was plowed you could fine arrow and spear heads. You could possibly do some investigative research around where you‘re at to see if any sights were around.

Is there a way to figure out where "sites" are? I have recently become more interested in artifacts and really have no idea where to spend most of my time. I have been looking in ditches/washouts/small creeks and plowed fields. I'm unsure where to concentrate my efforts. Little creeks? Ditches? Washouts? Plowed fields-towards the top of hills or anywhere? I do know an old boy that has found quite a few pieces and I dont think he is able to get out anymore. I have been meaning to talk to him next time I see him, he was my middle school science teacher. I understand they could be anywhere, I just want to learn more about the best places to concentrate. I am located in Eastern Iowa if that makes any difference.
PM sent

Flyin across the field today in the ranger and this one was hard to miss. Really serrated and blade like a filet knife, straight on one side and recurved on the other. Any idea what it's called? Bet it carved up its share of buffalo ribeyes.

Screenshot_20220509-144217_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220509-144212_Gallery.jpg

Flyin across the field today in the ranger and this one was hard to miss. Really serrated and blade like a filet knife, straight on one side and recurved on the other. Any idea what it's called? Bet it carved up its share of buffalo ribeyes.

View attachment 42929View attachment 42930
Stunning point!

Thanks Hoyt. Probably a top 3 point for me. Has a tip nick but no complaints. It's a really nice looking piece of Starved Rock chert I think.

That is a wicked looking piece, great find! Had to look up starved rock chert, good looking tool stone.

The only kind of treasures I find when I plant trees. Treasure.jpg

Piels Light out of Brooklyn.