All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Arrowhead and other historic/pre-historic collections

I don't think I've ever seen one like that. Those bevels are wild. All the ones I find come to an edge from both sides.

I think highly used and resharpened points are almost always left hand beveled. I heard once that some types of Daltons were the only type that was right hand beveled.

I spoke to my nephew the other day about looking for arrowheads. He was out turkey hunting this afternoon and found this. He’s going to clean it up, measure it and send me a few more pics. Can any of you provide any information on this style? Age? Based on the video he sent me I think it’s 3-4” long. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4566.jpeg
    IMG_4566.jpeg
    784.2 KB · Views: 28
Looks like probably a killer St Charles dovetail. Great find!

^^^ what he said. Beautiful!!!

I spoke to my nephew the other day about looking for arrowheads. He was out turkey hunting this afternoon and found this. He’s going to clean it up, measure it and send me a few more pics. Can any of you provide any information on this style? Age? Based on the video he sent me I think it’s 3-4” long. Thanks!

An amazing first find!

He must've been gently excavating around the edges. Probably only saw a portion of it exposed? The way it looks like it's in a shallow grave. Bet that was exciting!

We have only 1 dovetail in our family collection. Found by either my dad or grandpa.

20240502_164239.jpg

Yes it was in a small washout partially exposed. I went and saw it in person last night and it is beautiful! It’s right at 3 1/4” long what kind of rock would it be? Any guesses on age? I’m in eastern Iowa if that makes a difference. Thanks!
IMG_9059.jpegIMG_9060.jpegIMG_9061.jpegIMG_9058.jpeg

I don't know anything about arrowheads, but that thing is GORGEOUS!!!

Last edited: