Are my trees dead

chummer

5 year old buck +
yet another thread on did I kill my trees. I find it funny how we make this stuff harder than it needs to be. Anyways, I brought up some potted trees two weeks ago. I wanted to transport them before the buds started to swell. Unfortunately the ground was still frozen and I couldn't plant. I had to leave them there and since then we have had a few nights in the teens. Will freezing solid in their pots kill the trees? I will be planting Saturday.

I don't know the answer but i was wondering that myself when I read your post and it was forecast to be in the high teens down here in the Binghamton area.

Based on what SLN has said in the past about frozen ground, planting as soon as you can get a shovel in the ground - even if there's frost in the ground yet - maybe you're OK with a few nights in the teens. If you're planting today ( Sat. ), you might just be alright. I have no such experience, but I'm going on what clues SLN has mentioned. Good luck !!

Cant answer for sure other than I know that I have a seedling Dolgo and 4 Hazlenut shrubs in fabric pots that are still alive after being left above ground the last 2 winters. Probably bordering on plant cruelty, but they are surviving!

I think they will be okay. I went up today with the plan of planting 9 trees by noon and home for pre Easter dinner. After a warm week it went down into the 20's last night and I showed up to frozen ground again. Since I already had the holes dug I waited till 11 for the crust to thaw. I got 5 planted and hit the road. The pots were not frozen and trees still very dormant so I think they will be fine. I also had a run in with my only resident doe and her fawn from last year. They watched me and my dog drive by at 20 yards. I tipped my hat. It was good to see both of them again. We both survived another winter. The clover and WR is starting to green up. Everything will explode in the next three weeks.

Good news all around, Chummer.