Apple rankings

Barndog56

5 year old buck +
Stumbled across this website today. It's worth a look when you've got free time. Not sure the rankings are accurate to my tastes, but the reviews made me chuckle.

Taste is subjective for sure - but the reviews ARE funny!!

I've tried a bunch of apples in my time, but MY favorites are Goldrush, Crimson Topaz, and one I just discovered in the last 2 fall seasons ........ Rosalea. Pink Lady is also a winner in my book. IMO - these apples have a good balance of sweet, tart, tangy, crispness and juiciness. Goldrush and Crimson Topaz picked fresh off the tree are CRAZY with flavor.

I have two Red Delicious trees they are indeed shit apples but they are disease resistant, including cedar apple rust so they have a place in my orchard within the deer apple category.

We have 2 cams on a Red Delicious my parents planted 50 years ago. The deer devour them day and night. I'm going to snag a few for a pie.

We have 2 cams on a Red Delicious my parents planted 50 years ago. The deer devour them day and night. I'm going to snag a few for a pie.
I have heard from a few sources that Red Delicious may have actually tasted different when it was originally released. How do the apples on those older trees taste compared to what you can find in stores and hotel lobbies today?

Chestnut Crab is still my favorite, with Kinderkrisp at second. We just had our first St Edmunds Russet and my wife rates it as number one. I like it as well but should give it a few years to see if the taste is consistent.

My favorite is Karmijn de Sonnaville. Rankings are so personal that an individuals ranking is worthless, IMO. Tasting yourself is the joy of it all.

My favorite is Karmijn de Sonnaville. Rankings are so personal that an individuals ranking is worthless, IMO. Tasting yourself is the joy of it all.
That is why I have grown and grafted so many different varieties. I can taste them at different stages of ripeness. I even like to grow seedlings for the same reasons.

I have heard from a few sources that Red Delicious may have actually tasted different when it was originally released. How do the apples on those older trees taste compared to what you can find in stores and hotel lobbies today?
That would be the Hawkeye Delicious, which came from Jessie Hyatt in Iowa. It is still available from a few sources. Century Farm Orchards is one place that sells it. If I ever do another order with them I’m going to get one.

Had a chance to try a Roxbury russet over the weekend. It wasn't ripe enough, I think. Taste reviews say it's a sweet apple - this one was tart and hard. The trees in that orchard are all tagged as to the variety. Maybe a few more weeks will improve the taste?? It's the first russet apple I've tried. Looking to get my chompers on a few more russet varieties. Anyone else into russet apples ....... have info / experience with them??

Had a chance to try a Roxbury russet over the weekend. It wasn't ripe enough, I think. Taste reviews say it's a sweet apple - this one was tart and hard. The trees in that orchard are all tagged as to the variety. Maybe a few more weeks will improve the taste?? It's the first russet apple I've tried. Looking to get my chompers on a few more russet varieties. Anyone else into russet apples ....... have info / experience with them??
Chestnut crab occasionally has some russeting.

St Edwards Russet is one of our favorites from this first year of tasting it.

We have 5 Chestnut crabs at camp. I can't seem to find other russet apples at orchards around our home area. I guess folks don't like the looks of "ugly" russet-type apples. I'd like to try St. Edmunds russet, Egremont russet, & Golden russet - if I could only find some locally.

I'll put in a flavor plug again for Rosalea apples. It's a variety that requires a license (or some type of agreement - a "club" apple, maybe??) to grow it. But if you can find Rosalea at a roadside stand, farm market, commercial orchard ........ give them a try. Super juicy, crisp, breaking flesh, with a good sweet / tart balance. It's a harder apple - ripe now in SE Pa. (10/15 to 10/30.) It has more "tang" than Honeycrisp, and if given a choice between HC and Rosalea - I'll take the Rosalea.

Last edited:
I have a Roxbury in my backyard. It is one of my favorite apples. It is always a tart and hard apple for me - I like them that way. The golden russet are good, I prefer the Roxbury though. If you remind me next year I can mail some.

I have a Golden Russett. They're much better after the first hard frost. Before then its like gnawing on an oak branch... a sweet, juicy oak branch. They have less bird and insect damage than red apples do. If ever wanted a no-spray apple tree I'd go with a Russett. Their size is smaller now that the tree is 20 years old.

I have a Roxbury in my backyard. It is one of my favorite apples. It is always a tart and hard apple for me - I like them that way. The golden russet are good, I prefer the Roxbury though. If you remind me next year I can mail some.
I tried a Roxbury russet a few weeks back, but I think it was not ripe yet. The written descriptions I've read were that it's a sweet-but-tangy apple. The one I ate was dry and a total blah. Timing may have been wrong.