All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple p orn

^^^^ Good to hear. AWH are really good trees for us at camp.

I had a Fuji planted in fall two years ago that didn't look great struggle and looked to have finally died. I kind of forgot about it and mid summer it had thrown a sprout above the graft that is now three feet tall and feathering. I cut away the old dead main trunk and am going to see what happens.

I did the same to an all winter hangover last year. Growing into a nice tree this year

This is the Fuji that I thought I had lost
6Norp6r.jpg

Had a great first big fruit load on 3 of my 8th leaf standard rootstock apple trees. 2 Cortland and 1 wolf river July 22. Went up to check things out today and not a single apple left on the trees. As you could imagine im not very happy. I hate Racoons!!!CEB9A219-078D-4B36-9CF8-1E2C73786BB6.jpeg

I was to depressed to take pictures of the damaged they did on my trees.

^^^^^ Sorry to hear of the coon damage. Coons, squirrels, bears, porkys - it's a mission to get the apples to the deer. :emoji_frowning2:

I picked three Whitney Crab to try today. I had one, my fiancé had one and my grandma had one. Tasty little buggers and they aren’t even ripe yet! Totally white in the seeds. One thing I noticed is that it browns very quickly.
858888f864e582297b43ec939719b490.jpg
ddad1df775c3b52b698f58d4cff6ddee.jpg
90b385c5f637e37859c2c72889fe23f8.jpg

20180815_184906.jpg

unknown, turned quick, seeds r half dark.
Any guesses?

One thing tho, they were crisp, tart an sweet a week ago, slightly disappointed to find they r turning slightly mealy, overripe? Guessing they r short of some sort of micro nutrient.

Your description sounds like what our Hyslop crabs are like. Great taste one time, and a week later - dry & punky.

Your description sounds like what our Hyslop crabs are like. Great taste one time, and a week later - dry & punky.

I think some of the early apples are like that. One friend likes to pick those varieties before the seeds turn completely dark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jhoss you got some great looking apples so far, how many trees do you have in your orchard? What ages?

I think I have 16 varieties that will produce some apples this year. 65 or so total if you count my nursery. Editing this now as I was busy at the time of the original answer. I think my blue bowl pictures will continue (and maybe in ripening order, with, ChestnutCrabs, Whitney, HoneyCrisp, PixieCrunch, KiddsOrangeRed, one I call MysteryGreen, one I call JonaGold but it probably isn't, WicksonCrab, MysteryRed, OxfordBlack, Sundance, Dabinette, GrannieSmith and GoldRush,. If you count the 3 I've posted that is 17 varieties. The number of trees containing these varieties is 25 or so as I have multiples of favorites like HC, PixieCrunch, GoldRush. These are the trees bearing this year. Should've also have HoneyGold, Enterprise and Liberty but the June drop floored me (and the apples). Ages of the trees are from 2010, 2012 and 2013.

Over the years, I've ordered scions mainly from MapleValley and Fedco. The one I call JonaGold now (might be just GoldenDelicious) was supposed to be ArkieBlack. Ha! Its Green with a red blush...its a good to great apple so I'm keeping it, but its a long way from an ArkansasBlack apple what it was supposed to be. Surprise! You don't know your order got messed up until years later - ha!

The mystery trees are supposed to be crab apple/liner tree seedlings. The one supposed to be American crab (forgot to mention my AmericanCrab..loaded too, all for the deer), I call it MysteryRed (oh, forgot this one its supposed to be a twin, but it ain't, its loaded this year too) grows an apple the size of a RedDelicious - complete with the lobes on the bottom and all! But its kinda tasteless and dry...cider here we come with it. It's a 2010 tree and big and pretty and crops pretty well too so I hate topwork it over to a great one. The MysteryGreen - same thing...supposed to be SiberianCrab...a seedling..but grows a nice size green apple which is really good / one I look forward to every year.

Strange world this apple world.

Last edited:
I picked a few of these. They are dropping and probably from seed I collected on a farm about thirty years ago.
f47f07b3abd7d99409e473b194c24113.jpg
62f670fd7d7e84e9dd540658f732fa2d.jpg

^^^^ I've never seen anyone so lucky with seeds & seedlings !!! Bur - you just have the touch. I could try 500 seeds / seedlings and not have as many winners as you seem to get.
Want to buy me a lottery ticket ??? :emoji_grin:

Jhoss - Great looking Chestnut & Whitney crab apples !!! You have a good list of orchard selections. It's crazy how 1 or 2 trees in the beginning turns into 50+ !!!!

^^^^ I've never seen anyone so lucky with seeds & seedlings !!! Bur - you just have the touch. I could try 500 seeds / seedlings and not have as many winners as you seem to get.
Want to buy me a lottery ticket ??? :emoji_grin:

This farm had two big old apple trees with yellow fruit that had been there for generations. I saved some seed.

Actually this apple is not that great. It is OK with a bit of a pear flavor and a bit soft like summer apples. The deer are eating chestnut crabs instead of this one.