Anyone Seeing This also?

buckvelvet

5 year old buck +
The warmup is coming, Hallelujah! This is in W MI.

Attachments

• Weather.JPG
    Weather.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 14
From Saturday thru all next week the weather is forecast here to be highs of 40 or more. it will soggy for a while, but it looks like spring may not be far away.

I am not believing it. I check that site daily and they have had a warm up two weeks out for a month now. It just never gets here and every couple days they move it back.

I am not believing it. I check that site daily and they have had a warm up two weeks out for a month now. It just never gets here and every couple days they move it back.

I put down this blasphemy. May you be met next week with somber repentance when the warm hits you.

debbie-downer.jpg

So I assume I wasn't the only one that wanted Punxsutawney Phil to have his sight checked? Stupid groundhog!

our forecast calls for a slight warm up...mid to upper 30's....over the weekend and temps in the mid 40's for the first half of next week. I'm praying its a good call....i really need to get the snow down a couple few notches so i can out and do some serious shed hunting. Snow is still deep enough now to make any long hikes excruciating.

So I assume I wasn't the only one that wanted Punxsutawney Phil to have his sight checked? Stupid groundhog!
that d@mn whistle pig has been tarnishing my name for as long as I've been alive. He's a plump one too...his tenderloins would be perfect for grilling.

I've had groundhog before - they slow cooked it and essentially made like pulled pork out of it. Cover anything in BBQ sauce and you can eat nearly anything! You HAVE to drain all the grease - man those are some fatty critters. I skinned one once for the hide - apparently they make good drum skins.....just what I was told. Made that mistake only once - you want a drum skin - I'll shoot the pudgy fella - you skin it!

The key is to the brown glands in the armpits removed asap. they can foul the meat very quickly. I have always found them to be pretty sweet....marinated in a honey teryaki and tossed on the grill is a good way to go too. I also like to get the loins out, and debone the hinds sautee the meat and then add them to a red sauce on a slow simmer for about an hour, serve over pasta.

Phil, do you cook coon too?

After skinning a couple, and how bad they smell burning - I can't bring myself to eat one. Down south they sell for as much as a live chicken.

The key is to the brown glands in the armpits removed asap. they can foul the meat very quickly. I have always found them to be pretty sweet....marinated in a honey teryaki and tossed on the grill is a good way to go too. I also like to get the loins out, and debone the hinds sautee the meat and then add them to a red sauce on a slow simmer for about an hour, serve over pasta.
The locals around me would fight you for a spring time woodchuck. I have a couple living in the brush piles around my plots. They are like ghosts, I see them once or twice a year.

I put down this blasphemy. May you be met next week with somber repentance when the warm hits you.
Every snowfall costs me between $500-$1500 no one wants it over more than me. I have been staring at that 30 day since December.

It could be so Buck, but I'm not buying into it yet either. Perhaps because I just came in from snowplowing an inch of ice and another foot of snow that fell today. Not very optimistic and I'm a hell a lot farther south.

Phil, do you cook coon too?

After skinning a couple, and how bad they smell burning - I can't bring myself to eat one. Down south they sell for as much as a live chicken.
I have...but as a rule...i do not. best piece of coon ive ever had was coon heart in italian dressing.

Soil swine turns out better being slow cooked but constantly being rotated on a low heat fire works as well.

that d@mn whistle pig has been tarnishing my name for as long as I've been alive. He's a plump one too...his tenderloins would be perfect for grilling.

Phil, on Wednesday of this week I was working in an area of the state where flooding was bad that day. We were on some blacktop roads where we crossed water half way up on the tires at times. A big whistle pig came running across a bare field in front of us that looked like a drowned rat. He tried to get under a house that had lattice all around and couldn't get through. We figured his lair got a little too wet...LOL.

The weather changed fast. Today I set at home working and watched on TV a 30 mile traffic jam on I65 where 21 inches of snow followed that rain not many miles from where I was. The national guard has worked all day trying to get people out and they don't have them all yet.

My timing for home work versus field work was good this week...:D

Last edited:
I've skinned all kinds of animals before - I trapped for years - and the stinkiest, foulest smelling thing I ever came across was a opossum. I've watched those things feast on bear crap, coon crap, fox crap, and all sorts of vile road-kill that a fox would puke over. The smell of skunk doesn't bother me as much as opossum. I know people eat them too, but I don't think there's been enough BBQ sauce or meat marinade concocted since the dawn of time to get me to try that critter !!

Phil - it sounds to me like you need your own " out there " gamey cooking show like that guy on T.V. that travels the world trying snakes, drinking sheep blood and the like. You have groundhog cooking down to a gourmet delicacy !! Coon innards too. Remember HEE - HAW ??? " Hey Grandpa - what's for supper ??? "

I wonder how many here know what HEE-HAW is?

NOBODY watched Hee-haw for grandpa..............I may have been just a kid, but even at a young age I could appreciate the eye candy;)

Made me want to go hang out in the corn!