Anybody tried to move a tree this big before? Looking for tips, going to wait till winter to try it.

Crimreaper

Yearling... With promise
Pear tree.jpg Would love any ideas to help me out. the tree is about 12 ft tall. Thanks in advance!

I have moved about 10 that were considerably larger than that one, but in fairness I used a backhoe. I moved them while dormant and never hurt a thing. That one really does not look that large. Height is not a factor really, the size of the rootball is the issue. How long has it been in the ground? I would think with some TLC you could move that one by hand easily when dormant. I would move it in December or November after the leaves fall and let the soil pack down around it well all winter before it gets ready to wake up in the spring.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Plus by the looks of it I think it is a pear. If so, they are even more hardy in my experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Its been in the ground for about 3 years. I figure Ill water it real good and then dig a large root ball. Only moving it about 40 yards so it wont be a major haul. That's what I get for being short sited. The chestnut in the corner is going to shade it out pretty quick. Thanks for your help WT!

I think WT gives good advice. The only suggestion I'd add is to cut back some branches after the move so the rootball does not have to work as hard to keep the foliage healty.

I worked a deal to pay a guy with a tree spade to work by the hour and move several trees during a slow time.A tree like that wouldn't even know it was moved

Good advice so far. Do it when dormant, dig a huge root ball, and be sure to prune it back.

I'll add 3 things....moved many trees like this. Not sure where you live, but I would do it when you can still water it. I transplant trees like that here in the Northeast in mid to late fall and water the heck out of them for many days. The water is not so much for the tree as it is to help compact and compress the soil to remove root killing air pockets. I would also be sure to stake the tree for several years. Lastly, I always go in in the later summer or early fall with a sharp spade and dig out the perimeter of the root ball without actually moving the tree (there's probably a term for this nurserymen use). Basically I am severing all of the roots in what will eventually become the rootball. This encourages an explosion of new growth within that rootball and when you do move the tree months later all of those new roots will help provide balance between the roots and crown. I'd still prune it back a little though.

Good luck.

Great advice everyone. Thank yall so much, this is a great group!