Any experience with BioLogic Maximum

BC Buck

5 year old buck +
Have a guy telling me he has had good luck during drought conditions with this product. Im not the kind of guy who buys buck on the bag seed. Any of you guys come up with idea what this seed is and rate.

I have used it and it was a good product. It is just a mix of brassicas, no magic. If I found it on sale and got it for a good price I would definitely buy it again. I would just look at different brassica mixes and go with the one that was the best bang for your buck.

I got a bag for $9 once. It grew, the deer ate it. I plant small areas by hand. BOB seed does just fine for what it is.

We planted it once - it grew fine. But we've been using a mix by Welter's that has done just as well or better for less. Not paying for the pretty bag & advertising campaigns - get more ground seeded for less money.

Have a guy telling me he has had good luck during drought conditions with this product. Im not the kind of guy who buys buck on the bag seed. Any of you guys come up with idea what this seed is and rate.

Ignore the brand and bag. Look at the seed tag.

When I first started food plotting, I used it once. It grew well and the deer loved it. Forget the BOB stuff and mix your own if you want an assortment of brassicas. Most brassicas can be had for $1.50 to $3.00 a pound not $9.00 a pound for BOB stuff and deer will eat it just as well. As stated, the seed tag will tell you the varieties in the bag and in what percentages.

I tried it and it grew ok, I wouldn't say it was better than the seed I get in bulk from Walters or Deer creek. I have tried a bunch of BOB's and only one has outperformed my own mixes. The mix was whitetail institutes winter greens. I don't know if it was a fluke or what but it was the best brassica plot I had in ten years. I had a cabelas gift card so I bought a small bag I'm going to try it again and see this year. $35 a bag for a 1/2 acre:emoji_unamused: ouch

IIRC it was a primarily a mix of several varieties of rape. Standard DER has done well for me.

I tried it and it grew ok, I wouldn't say it was better than the seed I get in bulk from Walters or Deer creek. I have tried a bunch of BOB's and only one has outperformed my own mixes. The mix was whitetail institutes winter greens. I don't know if it was a fluke or what but it was the best brassica plot I had in ten years. I had a cabelas gift card so I bought a small bag I'm going to try it again and see this year. $35 a bag for a 1/2 acre:emoji_unamused: ouch

What made it the best? Height, attraction?

$20 for an acre's worth of mix from Welter's. We've been using it for 3 years now - 2018 will be our 4th - no complaints at all. ( Purple top turnips, Pasja hybrid brassica, Ground Hog radish, and DER. )

Only problem with Welter’s is the shipping $. By the time I get a few lbs for a 1/2 acre or so plus $10 for shipping or w/e it ends up being I’m over the $10-$20 I spent on BOB seed.

If you are planting half an acre buy the BOB for half an acre and plant it.

Only problem with Welter’s is the shipping $. By the time I get a few lbs for a 1/2 acre or so plus $10 for shipping or w/e it ends up being I’m over the $10-$20 I spent on BOB seed.

Small plots for attraction are the niche for BOB seed. With such a tiny amount of seed, who cares how much premium you are paying for the packaging and marketing. The real mix-your-own price break comes when you are working at scale and buying full bags of seed. The key is to look at the seed tag and understand what is in the bag and to make sure it is a good fit for your situation.

Keep in mind you can't compare on the basis of Brand X SuperMegaTrophyBuck. One year a bag with that name may contain a very different mix of seed than it does the next. One of the reasons they use those marketing names is because it gives them the freedom to change the contents as seed pricing changes to maximize profit. The average guy doesn't realize that contents of the bag may be changing from time to time. In many cases the changes don't matter but in some they do. Most of these are sold nationally and some seed types may simply not perform in certain in some areas with some soils. So, depending on your location and the mix, it is possible to see significant differences in how Brand X SuperMegaTrophyBuck performs one year compared to the next. If you read and understand the seed tag, this problem goes away.

Thanks,

Jack

Gentlemen, check out Hancock seed in Florida. They have good prices on their seed and many of the varieties have free shipping on smaller amounts.

What made it the best? Height, attraction?
Yes, it ended up being the tallest, large leafed, healthiest, brassica I've ever had.Deer demolished it, but they do on all the brassica. It is the kind of kale they have in there. I thought I found it at deer creek, but it just hasn't matched the winter greens. I've tried 3 years now.

Gentlemen, check out Hancock seed in Florida. They have good prices on their seed and many of the varieties have free shipping on smaller amounts.

I've used them. I found lower TYD prices on some seeds and higher on others.

I've used them. I found lower TYD prices on some seeds and higher on others.
Agreed Jack. Just another seed source that can help the small plotter.

Last edited: