Allegheny Chinkapins / Chinquapins

From personal experience, I can verify the benefit of transplanting 3 gal RBII vs 1 gal and smaller

The 3 gal RBII aspect is worth reemphasis

This size rootmaker at transplantation in the field offers the best chance of success in my hands
Transplanting RM18s is uniformly fatal to baby trees..... 1 gal RBII yields marginal results

if it takes 2 seasons in the backyard to get to 3 gal or larger, its worth it to me

bill

I completely agree. All of my transplants for 18s into the field have failed. Transplants when roots have filled 1 gal have been mixed. Most survive, but few really thrive. Transplanting to the field when roots fill a 3 gal has been, by far, the best for me. I think just about every tree survives and 90% thrive!

Thanks,

Jack

I have verified my statement above about some of my chinkapin trees being over 25 feet tall. I have a 24 foot apple picking pole and stood it up at the base of the tallest chinkapin. As you can see in the picture below, the tree is approximately 4 feet higher than the top of the pole and apple basket. So, the tree is roughly 28 feet tall. Just wanted to make sure my statement was correct.

PS - not a clear picture, but look for the top of the wire apple basket just to the right and a little above the center of the picture. Then you can see the pole below that.

ypHENr2.jpg

I have verified my statement above about some of my chinkapin trees being over 25 feet tall. I have a 24 foot apple picking pole and stood it up at the base of the tallest chinkapin. As you can see in the picture below, the tree is approximately 4 feet higher than the top of the pole and apple basket. So, the tree is roughly 28 feet tall. Just wanted to make sure my statement was correct.

PS - not a clear picture, but look for the top of the wire apple basket just to the right and a little above the center of the picture. Then you can see the pole below that.

ypHENr2.jpg

I just love ACs. The ones in my backyard are just covered with burs. My hope is to find time to collect a bunch of nuts and take them to our retirement property and plant them this fall.

In an area of about an acre where the tornado took down a bunch of my white pines, I’m going to plant back with shrubs - including AC. I have more rooted RODs already ordered for fall delivery and several ACs I’ve sprouted from seed. I can also dig up viburnums and others to use. I have already sprayed the junk stuff that has sprouted and ready for fall planting.

In an area of about an acre where the tornado took down a bunch of my white pines, I’m going to plant back with shrubs - including AC. I have more rooted RODs already ordered for fall delivery and several ACs I’ve sprouted from seed. I can also dig up viburnums and others to use. I have already sprayed the junk stuff that has sprouted and ready for fall planting.
I've got yellow twig dogwood which I think is just a color variant of ROD. It roots readily from cuttings.

I've got yellow twig dogwood which I think is just a color variant of ROD. It roots readily from cuttings.

I think that is correct, and I'm considering it too. So far the most browsed shrub I have planted has been arrowwood viburnum. It's just amazing how much they hit it all through the year. The birds have planted hundreds for me, and it's almost impossible to find one that the deer have not browsed. What seems strange is that it's listed as deer resistant on many web-sites, but that sure isn't the case with me.

You must have a later dropping strain than I have. Mine have been gone for quite a while.

Those look awesome.

WOW!

The good:
* Taste great
* Easy to shell
* No weevils
* Drops Late
* Bears great almost every year
* Much more shade tolerant than chestnut

The bad:
* Very small. Takes like 4 nuts to equal one chestnut.

The "bad" makes them especially attractive for turkey!

Does anyone have a good source for these that anyone can order from? Preferably a state nursery? I was planning on getting some from NY DEC, but I guess they only ship to NY or surrounding states. I saw them a couple other places like willis orchard, but they're quite a bit more expensive. The NY DEC had them 5-14" and 25 for $30 on thier last seedling sale. 10 would be plenty for me. If anyone would be interested in splitting an order from NY DEC that either lives in NY or a surrounding state I would gladly be open to that as well. Thanks!

Does anyone have a good source for these that anyone can order from? Preferably a state nursery? I was planning on getting some from NY DEC, but I guess they only ship to NY or surrounding states. I saw them a couple other places like willis orchard, but they're quite a bit more expensive. The NY DEC had them 5-14" and 25 for $30 on thier last seedling sale. 10 would be plenty for me. If anyone would be interested in splitting an order from NY DEC that either lives in NY or a surrounding state I would gladly be open to that as well. Thanks!

If you decided you want to grow your own, just contact me or someone else that has then on this forum. I'd be happy to send you nuts. Mine tend to open and drop in Sep t in central VA. If you want nuts later, you may check to see if someone has ACs that ripen later.

Thanks,

Jack

If you decided you want to grow your own, just contact me or someone else that has then on this forum. I'd be happy to send you nuts. Mine tend to open and drop in Sep t in central VA. If you want nuts later, you may check to see if someone has ACs that ripen later.

Thanks,

Jack
Jack,
Will do, thanks!

Superior Trees. In Lee , Florida
Still had several thousand bare root seedling last time I checked

bill

I wouldn’t order from Willis orchard, I had a bad experience with them. I can elaborate more if anyone wants to know.