Allegheny Chinkapins / Chinquapins

I wouldn’t order from Willis orchard, I had a bad experience with them. I can elaborate more if anyone wants to know.
Thanks for the heads up.

Does anyone have a good source for these that anyone can order from? Preferably a state nursery? I was planning on getting some from NY DEC, but I guess they only ship to NY or surrounding states. I saw them a couple other places like willis orchard, but they're quite a bit more expensive. The NY DEC had them 5-14" and 25 for $30 on thier last seedling sale. 10 would be plenty for me. If anyone would be interested in splitting an order from NY DEC that either lives in NY or a surrounding state I would gladly be open to that as well. Thanks!
I bought my Allegheny Chinquapin at West Virginia Division of Forestry.

This is the order form, $2 per tree plus shipping.

That's where I got mine from too. I don't think they do it anymore though

Edit nevermind. I think I got mine from WV DNR which isn't doing it anymore. I believe the forestry trees are from the same nursery though. They were nice seedlings at a good price

https://commerce.wv.gov/clements-state-tree-nursery-selling-container-trees-beginning-feb-1/

I thought you said NY DEC. I just ordered 25 from WV to split with a buddy. Thanks for the heads up!

I thought you said NY DEC. I just ordered 25 from WV to split with a buddy. Thanks for the heads up!
Did you call them? I'd hold off it was the WV Department of Forestry that shut down the nursery.

Here's the article I read.
https://www.herald-dispatch.com/new...cle_7b9a3597-224b-522c-8c6d-37209098dd24.html

Unless something changed they are no more.

That's a shame. Especially with regard to the chestnut research taking place there.
Ya I was bummed. They had a nice selection and it was priced well. I wanted to get some more chinkapins from them. I only had a few survive from my original order. Not because of the quality, all on my part of having no idea what to do other than plant them. Had my first few nuts this year in year 4.

Ya I was bummed. They had a nice selection and it was priced well. I wanted to get some more chinkapins from them. I only had a few survive from my original order. Not because of the quality, all on my part of having no idea what to do other than plant them. Had my first few nuts this year in year 4.
They are very fast to produce nuts for the chestnut family. Once they are producing nuts, you can just collect the nuts, direct seed them and protect them. I just shoved a boatload into the ground at my retirement place in September. They don't require cold stratification. The begin to produce a root radicle in the fall. It will be interesting to see how they do. Most of mine have been grown in Rootmakers. These are the first ACs that I direct seeded. The are about 50 yards from the hardwoods and there is a bounty of nuts from the oaks this year, so I did not protect them from squirrels. I'll see what happens in the spring. I may put an e-fence around the area.

I accidentally ended up at the Virginia Department of Forestry, not West Virginia. Anyway they had Allegheny Chinkapin as well https://www.buyvatrees.com/shop/chinkapin-alleghany-1-0-castanea-pumila/ I called them after reading the article about WV and a gal picked up the phone and said they received my order and it will be shipped out in April.

I accidentally ended up at the Virginia Department of Forestry, not West Virginia. Anyway they had Allegheny Chinkapin as well https://www.buyvatrees.com/shop/chinkapin-alleghany-1-0-castanea-pumila/ I called them after reading the article about WV and a gal picked up the phone and said they received my order and it will be shipped out in April.
Thanks for providing the link. I ordered some as well.

I bought from both, my DEC trees I planted before I got the new land next door and planted them too close to a wet area, they didn't make it. The NYSDEC seedling sale only offers them about every 3rd year, last spring they listed them as "Copper Chinquapin" but the description was exactly the same, as was the Latin name (Castanea pumila) but I am not sure why they did it like that bud.