Air pruning bags

Skelly

5 year old buck +
I purchased 100 of these small fabric bags to start seedlings in. I think it was like $8 for 75 or so. They are pretty limited on size. These are roughly 4” x 6”

Looks like they are working pretty well. I see the tap root has airpruned and a couple feeder roots are poking through that will eventually die off. They actually hold water pretty well.

I like them so far as a cheaper route. I plan just to cut them down the side when I get ready to put them in a larger container.

791191BE-0A15-42FC-B192-1E2F4D463A29.jpeg4CEBA57B-D8BA-488D-83D9-32DB5F849E17.jpeg

Nice work! Keep us posted. I like the way you seem to have them elevated with air flow underneath.

Thanks,

Jack

I purchased 100 of these small fabric bags to start seedlings in. I think it was like $8 for 75 or so. They are pretty limited on size. These are roughly 4” x 6”

Looks like they are working pretty well. I see the tap root has airpruned and a couple feeder roots are poking through that will eventually die off. They actually hold water pretty well.

I like them so far as a cheaper route. I plan just to cut them down the side when I get ready to put them in a larger container.

View attachment 23256View attachment 23257

A cheapskate like me would carefully cut the threads in the seam. Then staple them shut and use again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just pull the tree out of the bag and am careful with the roots. I use Rootrappers which re basically the same thing. Work great

I love this idea. Where did you get them from.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

Ive learned about many different ways to air prune roots from the forum

Have had good success with Walmart shopping bags(@50cents/bag) for larger size baby trees

bill

I love this idea. Where did you get them from.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk
https://www.amazon.com/Biodegradable-Nursery-Non-woven-Degradable-Seedling/dp/B07BJXSCC2

Here is the link.

This is the same product. I believe there are 4 different sizes in this group of 200. If you keep researching you can find the individual sizes.

They’ve been great so far.

Ive learned about many different ways to air prune roots from the forum

Have had good success with Walmart shopping bags(@50cents/bag) for larger size baby trees

bill
This is my fist year trying them. I currently have all the AC in the Walmart bags. They had a great root system to start with.

I will report back this fall when I plant them in the field.

I just pull the tree out of the bag and am careful with the roots. I use Rootrappers which re basically the same thing. Work great
What was the moisture content of the medium when you pull yours. I imagine the fibrous root ball should keep it it all together to pull them out.

A cheapskate like me would carefully cut the threads in the seam. Then staple them shut and use again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh yeah, I ride the thrifty train as

I have other pots I’m putting them in in order to see how it works.

402CE569-2B28-45B0-BCA8-E8B6F8E775F6.jpegI watched a YouTube video where the guy says he completely saturated the medium and then does not water again until the chestnuts are a foot tall with this type. I don’t like to speak poorly of anyone but Micky Mouse is prick because he found thes 3 I had in here and had lunch. So I can’t say that style worked.
85A12F3C-551B-471E-BE03-79FA5C6FB316.jpegI am also using a couple of these. I saved a bunch but then I realized I may have a drinking problem so I burned the evidence. Actually it just is too large of a container to start. I tried to divide it but after a couple of the contents I gave up. FB917D3D-645B-4AB8-9F7D-65DF8A4362B5.jpegJack tried a version of this with smaller ones but I tried to create larger containers with the liner and staples. These dry out super fast and I don’t of the space anywhere in my house for a grow room so messing with these just became a hassle.

That reminds me. You might be a habitat guy if you have to explain to a plumber that is going to go under your house to work (3’ crawl space)that the grow bag set up is not an illegal marijuana grow room and that it’s just chestnuts.
A9ED69C4-00B9-4E86-9528-54DCB4847638.jpegAnd finally I am a redneck trying to make my own airpruning plastic containers. I don’t believe by any means this is going to work very well. I actually have a bunch of different ones that I used a paddle but to make larger holes. They may work a little better. We’ll see.

So I definitely get the thrifty part

What was the moisture content of the medium when you pull yours. I imagine the fibrous root ball should keep it it all together to pull them out.
Depends on how much you have watered them before pulling out or in my case turn on side and start shaking them out until I know I won’t rip roots. I haven’t kept them in bags more than about 4 months so the roots were well developed but not over filling the bag. I think should be not too moist but also not dry. I just potting soil for my grated trees

The root trapper bags work a bit differently. The outer layer is PVC, but inner layer is a special fabric that traps the tiny root tips. Trapping these tips has the same effect as air pruning causing upstream branching. They don't work well for pruning a tap root, but they work fine for a second stage. I personally prefer the Rootbuilder II containers over the roottrapper bags. They both work. I slice the roottrapper seams and staple them for reuse, but they do wear out after a few seasons. The RB2s are heavy plastic and last many years. The thing I like about them is the ease of planting from them. They easily unwrap and they now come with reuseable clips rather than cable ties. The root ball is completely undisturbed and the size matches the auger on my tractor. This is important for me because of how I plant in heavy clay but may not matter to others.

I think the bags that Skelly is using allow the root tips to grow through the bag and hit the air. This is an air pruning technique rather than root trapping. Rootmaker also sells bags that use a third techniques. They are the green in-ground bags. These work but constricting small roots. Three different methods all achieve the same end goal.

Thanks,

Jack

Oh yeah, I ride the thrifty train as

I have other pots I’m putting them in in order to see how it works.

View attachment 23277I watched a YouTube video where the guy says he completely saturated the medium and then does not water again until the chestnuts are a foot tall with this type. I don’t like to speak poorly of anyone but Micky Mouse is prick because he found thes 3 I had in here and had lunch. So I can’t say that style worked.
View attachment 23278I am also using a couple of these. I saved a bunch but then I realized I may have a drinking problem so I burned the evidence. Actually it just is too large of a container to start. I tried to divide it but after a couple of the contents I gave up. View attachment 23279Jack tried a version of this with smaller ones but I tried to create larger containers with the liner and staples. These dry out super fast and I don’t of the space anywhere in my house for a grow room so messing with these just became a hassle.

That reminds me. You might be a habitat guy if you have to explain to a plumber that is going to go under your house to work (3’ crawl space)that the grow bag set up is not an illegal marijuana grow room and that it’s just chestnuts.
View attachment 23280And finally I am a redneck trying to make my own airpruning plastic containers. I don’t believe by any means this is going to work very well. I actually have a bunch of different ones that I used a paddle but to make larger holes. They may work a little better. We’ll see.

So I definitely get the thrifty part

I had a similar experience with DIY bags. I was able to get some to work, but I just didn't like the balance they achieved when it came to water. They work, but required a lot more attention. In the end, I found my time at more of a premium than money so I ended up buying rootmakers wholesale.

Thanks,

Jack