Why not more love for seedling antovonka planted for deer?

ruskbucks

5 year old buck +
I bought a few antovonka seedlings a while back (6 -7 )years ago. I'm downright impressed with these trees. They seem to grow fast and seem to be tough. The trunk and branches are just solid compared to alot of my other apples. They are supposed to grow huge( which is good in bear country). Also rumored to be one of the few apples that grow pretty true to seed. They produced a few apples the last 2 years and looks like it is really going to throw them out this year. What am I missing that more people don't suggest this tree for deer in the north? So far their my favorite apple tree after my chestnut crabs.

I have a couple of anty’s where the graft failed or died back. The trees have just struggled year after year. Maybe it is the seed source or maybe just a poor trees since all seedlings are not the same.

Climate plays a big part in how they do, I suspect.

I have several failed grafts and a couple I never did graft most are doing well and I may leave them as antonovka I had planned to leave several that way anyway.

I've read that they take a long time before they begin producing, but for those of us with bear problems who want sturdy trees before the bears start climbing up in them, that can be seen as an asset.

I've read that they take a long time before they begin producing, but for those of us with bear problems who want sturdy trees before the bears start climbing up in them, that can be seen as an asset.
From all I've read about apple trees, seedling trees - of any variety, not just Anty - take about 10 years to produce, give or take a year or two. As you pointed out, delayed production may be a good thing for those of us who have bears. Energy goes to growing a big tree, more than pushing early fruit.

Bought 25 last year. Got about 5 or 6 with failed grafted this year. I plan on leaving a few as-is. The dislike is likely the drop times, many folks want apples on the tree during hunting season.

There was a post a few months back about a enterprise grafted onto anty. Was about 10 years old and just starting to bear fruit. IF i recall right it wasn't pruned consistently or well. My interest in anty is my hunting camp is in zone 3.

There was a post a few months back about a enterprise grafted onto anty. Was about 10 years old and just starting to bear fruit. IF i recall right it wasn't pruned consistently or well. My interest in anty is my hunting camp is in zone 3.
Mine were 3-0 seedlings when I bought them. At 5 years in the ground they started producing. I didn't think that was too bad. They are native to Siberia, they should laugh at zone 3. That was my interest also. I'm in 4 right on the edge of 3.

Enterprise has been slow outta the gate for me on M7 also. Honeygold on a couple trees has beat it by 3 or 4 yrs for fruit production and trees are within yards of each of in two locations. All planted same day

Got an entetprise on B118 from whitetail crabs. She is a slow grower. Was going to get a 2nd, still may. But for now put in a monster freedom from a local nursery. Paid $$ for it, but she is like 8ft+ tall with several large laterals.

Liberty, totally different animal. Sprouting branches nicely and had to cut alot of baby apples off of my 2. Planted the same time as enterprise with the same soil prep method.

Got tons of Kerr, AWHO, crossbow, trailman, and droptine on Anty. All were going up north and are in grow pots. However, planted tralman next to a pristine. That'll be my early hard cider blend with some bartlett in there. Not sure if crossbow will survive zone 3. May give that one away to friends. I got alot of kerr scionwood in a mature mcintosh, so don't need a scion donor for kerr at home. MY only AWHO is that rootmaker pot one, that may stay home too. 3 kerrs, a dolgo, and 2 AWHO would be a nice early morning hunting spot up north.