ACN trees

Charman03

5 year old buck +
Who has ordered from adams county nursery? What rootstock would you go with? Tree varieties?

Assuming for wildlife, their EMLA 106 or EMLA 111 rootstocks would be the ones to look at and decide which works best for your soil. 106 would be a little smaller and bear fruit faster.

Adams County Nursery generally has large trees of good quality. I have ordered from them several years in the past. As I recall there is a substantial price break if you order 25 or more trees. If you are planting trees for deer, the EMLA111 rootstock is your best bet. Unfortunately ACN usually does not graft on B118 rootstock. Disease resistant trees would be best for deer as you may not be able to give them the attention (spraying, trimming, fertilizing, etc) that they should have. Some of the best varieties which I have planted include: Liberty, Freedom, Goldrush, Enterprise, Crimsoncrisp, Querina, Nova Spy, Galarina, Redfree and Initial. These would give you a good fruit drop from August through the end of December.

I got 25 Emla 106 from them last year, I was very pleased. They were grafted and planted in 5' tree tubes, almost 100% of them are now 6-7 tall after just one growing season.

I'm another fan of ACN. I've gotten trees from them in the past several years and they were all great trees and all survived. I have an order in with them for 2016 for Liberty, Galarina, and Winecrisp - all on EMLA-111 rootstock. I agree with the 3 gents above this post on their assessments. Natureboy gave you a fine list of varieties - all VERY good apples !!

FYI - ACN is on Penn State's list of highest recommended nurseries in the whole country for quality fruit trees. There aren't all that many nurseries on that list - about 15 or so as I recall. My own experience with them has been 5 stars. Great place !!

How do you guys order from them? Website or call? I can drive there in 20 minutes or less, so can probably save on shipping costs. Wish I could find out what crabs they have. Probably just get a liberty, freedom and enterprise.

A quick look at their lists suggests that they don't have *any* crabs, but maybe I missed something: http://www.acnursery.com/acn_apple.php

Their primary business is wholesale to commercial orchard operations so they dont mess with the odd ball stuff. I almost wonder if their website will ever be functional again for purchasing. When I talked to them in July it was supposed to be done in a couple weeks. Still not operational as of today. If anybody wants trees from them that isnt local I can likely save you some money. I already have a large enough order to get a discount.

L2L - Their 2015 catalog has 4 crabs listed and 2 new ones that are available for 2016. The 2 new ones are Mt. Blanc and Mt. Evereste - both trademarked. The other 4 are Chestnut, Hyslop, Snowdrift, and Indian Summer. I usually just call them and order that way. Ask for Jen - that's who I always talk to. PHONE: 717-677-8105.

L2L - Their 2015 catalog has 4 crabs listed and 2 new ones that are available for 2016. The 2 new ones are Mt. Blanc and Mt. Evereste - both trademarked. The other 4 are Chestnut, Hyslop, Snowdrift, and Indian Summer. I usually just call them and order that way. Ask for Jen - that's who I always talk to. PHONE: 717-677-8105.

Interesting, so they have a print catalog that is different than their website? That's consistent with TC's comments about their focus being mainly on the commercial rather than recreational grower.

Most nurseries that put out a catalog later revise their coming-year offerings as they assess the grafts they have growing and determine what " new stuff " will be ready to sell in the coming year. I think the web-sites are the way to adjust their inventories rather than rush out a second catalog. I know by speaking to Steve Cummins that they make their final decisions in the fall as to what will be available for the coming spring. That may explain the difference between the catalog and the web-site lists. Jen Baugher at ACN sent me an up-dated list of their inventory earlier this summer by e-mail so I could place my order. That list was based on what grafted varieties would be ready for the spring's shipments. It WAS different from what the catalog had in it - somewhat.

ACN also sells to hobbyists and wildlife growers like us - not just commercial orchards. I've gotten trees from them for several years now and never more than 6 trees at a time. I have 3 coming from them for this coming spring and Jen was just as happy to take my order as ever. Very friendly there. The bulk of their business is from commercial orchards and their varieties are geared toward what the market wants, but they also handle the DR varieties for wildlife growers. The DR varieties are growing in popularity with organic and " no-spray " operations because more folks want " clean " produce - not laced with pesticides. So the DR varieties are getting more acreage in nurseries these days.

There is also another great nursery not too far from ACN with trees just as big and as good as ACN. It's called Boyer and they do a lot of trees for conservation districts throughout PA. Worthwhile giving them a try. I haven't lost one tree from them and bought about 30 or so from them over the years

http://www.boyernurseries.com

Yep - Aero's right. ^^^^^^ Boyer is another good nursery in Adams County, Pa. I also have them on my 'puter list of favorites. Adams County is one big fruit orchard - peaches, apples, cherries, pears. The Musselman's Company ( applesauce, apple butter, pie fillings ) is located at Biglerville in Adams County. Right in the middle of it all. Great county to visit if you like growing or eating fruit !!!

Yep - Aero's right. ^^^^^^ Boyer is another good nursery in Adams County, Pa. I also have them on my 'puter list of favorites. Adams County is one big fruit orchard - peaches, apples, cherries, pears. The Musselman's Company ( applesauce, apple butter, pie fillings ) is located at Biglerville in Adams County. Right in the middle of it all. Great county to visit if you like growing or eating fruit !!!

I'm definitely going to go check them out. I've been by it a ton of times. I may have got some Boyer trees from the conservation district this year. Not sure where they were from.