A Question & Some Random Pics

greyphase

5 year old buck +
What's going on with this Enterprise apple.
8-19-15%20020_zps0cswajpv.jpg

8-19-15%20019_zpssigbn8cu.jpg

Grafted to a Antonovka seedling last spring it grew very well last year. Started off good this year and then a month or so ago this started to happen. The new growth on all the branches look like this. No chance that it's herbicidal overspray. It was fertilized and limed this spring. Trees growing near it are fine. Just another unexplained mystery in the life of an apple grower. :(

The :mad: bear visited my wild plums last night. The damage could have been worse.
8-19-15%20016_zpsz0rnfknx.jpg

8-19-15%20014_zpsm6qsjy76.jpg

8-19-15%20013_zps0urni4xg.jpg

Just two limbs broken. He did leave a lot of plums for me to snack on.........if he doesn't come back tonite :eek:.
8-19-15%20009_zpsuz2mrdm7.jpg

A Tolman Sweet on Antonovka rootstock that has been ravaged by bear several times over the past years is bearing a few apples this year.
8-19-15%20031_zpsyocojfcu.jpg

8-19-15%20030_zpsez4bpz0t.jpg

A Golden Delicious that I planted probably in the late 80's has a good crop on this year. A great tasting apple fresh off the tree.
8-19-15%20002_zpss8z3fugx.jpg

Finally this is a Maine bred apple a Newt Grindle growing on B118 rootstock that I grafted in 2013 and planted in the spring of 2014. It had one apple on this spring and I know your not suppose to but I left it grow and it didn't seem to hurt the trees growth any.
8-13-15%20005_zpsspxkgikg.jpg

Not sure whats up with that Enterprise, that looks bad though.

The rest of your pictures look awesome though. Do those plums grow from seed? Have you planted any of those?

I had that on some apples this spring.
I thought it was drift form the adjacent corn field, but some other trees looked that way that were far off of the field.
They outgrew it.

Grey, many of us have been planting soft mast for 1-7 years. Those of us closer to 7 are really starting to see the hard work pay off. Seeing you with some of these trees in the 10-20 year range is truly inspirational. I'm always torn between wanting to see time pass faster and wishing I was younger again. I know you aren't a huge deer hunter like many of us, but I want to say thanks for taking the time to show what many are striving for in their habitat enhancement.

Matt
I dug 3 seedlings up at my sister-in-laws farm years ago. Now there are a few more that have sprouted off the roots. One year I tried to start some seeds but had no luck. Guess I should try again.

deepsleep
Thanks for the kind words but if I would have had the knowledge to draw from that this board offers all those years ago I would have been a lot more successful in my plantings than I have been.